Stadium thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

cthusky
Starter

Re: Stadium thread

Post by cthusky »

thatguy wrote: Still doesn't change the fact that the team would essentially be in limbo...
What I'm afraid of is LA getting two teams like NYC. So it would be the Chargers (AFC) and the Vikings (NFC). This would be a much more likely event and would help getting a new stadium in a cash-strapped state (I'm assuming public financing in LA).
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

HornedMessiah wrote:just saw this on PFT:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -chargers/
Apparently this Anschutz guy is a key figure in one of the groups pushing for a team to move to LA. So hopefully in the next few days we can verify this story so we can put this whole Vikings-to-LA crap to rest.

I wonder how long it will take before we start hearing Vikings-to-London, or Vikings-to-Toronto, or Vikings-to-Mexico City
Anschutz's company AEG owns a ton, Staples Center, the LA Kings, O2 Arena in London, a big chunk of MLS, etc.
OJVIKE
Career Elite Player

Post by OJVIKE »

OJVIKE
Career Elite Player

metro dome info

Post by OJVIKE »

http://www.nflvenueinfo.com/metrodome.htm
cheap to build? all the others built close to this were much more money.
OJVIKE
Career Elite Player

Post by OJVIKE »

will this help us get a new one????
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

If it doesn't...I don't know what will.
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Minnesotans will probably build a new NFL stadium only after they lose the Vikings.
DarthBrooks
Transition Player

Post by DarthBrooks »

Gif from Something Awful forum member Jagfire, video by FOX. When I first saw this I thought it was a bad CGI recreation, didn't realize that it was from stadium security cameras.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

DarthBrooks wrote:Image

Gif from Something Awful forum member Jagfire, video by FOX. When I first saw this I thought it was a bad CGI recreation, didn't realize that it was from stadium security cameras.
It's crazy. It's just unbelievable HOW MUCH it dips down finally breaks. It's really just time for a new stadium...
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
cthusky
Starter

Post by cthusky »

HornedMessiah wrote:just saw this on PFT:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -chargers/
Apparently this Anschutz guy is a key figure in one of the groups pushing for a team to move to LA. So hopefully in the next few days we can verify this story so we can put this whole Vikings-to-LA crap to rest.

I wonder how long it will take before we start hearing Vikings-to-London, or Vikings-to-Toronto, or Vikings-to-Mexico City

I wouldn't be so confident if I were you. There is no reason LA can't support two teams--one from the AFC (Chargers) and one from the NFC (the Vikings). It is successful in NYC--no reason it won't be successful in LA. I really don't buy the idea LA doesn't want pro football--their tv market is always good. (They can't play in the Rose Bowl is all.)

I have been chided on this site for criticizing Pawlenty; nevertheless, he fiddled and diddled when he should have been negotiating. This whole stadium deal should have been settled three years ago. What a jerk.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

cthusky wrote:

I wouldn't be so confident if I were you. There is no reason LA can't support two teams--one from the AFC (Chargers) and one from the NFC (the Vikings). It is successful in NYC--no reason it won't be successful in LA. I really don't buy the idea LA doesn't want pro football--their tv market is always good. (They can't play in the Rose Bowl is all.)
Here's 2 reasons why you are wrong:
1) the Rams
2) the Raiders

Period.
CCthebest
Career Elite Player

Post by CCthebest »

thatguy wrote: Here's 2 reasons why you are wrong:
1) the Rams
2) the Raiders

Period.
They have had 2 teams there...what makes you think they couldnt have 3? It all depends on where the money is. Period.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

CCthebest wrote: They have had 2 teams there...what makes you think they couldnt have 3? It all depends on where the money is. Period.
Uh, because the 2 teams didn't stay there because they couldn't reliably draw fans?
MNinIA
Backup

"The Deflated Season"

Post by MNinIA »

"The Deflated Season"

This year has bee a struggle for the Vikes. That fact is nothing to deny. Now shortly after a few legislators say there is little chance of a new stadium, the dome deflates. What a metaphor for the season.

Now as i am watching the Monday night game on ESPN - I see a Houston Texans expansion team [because the Houston Oilers left] playing the Baltimore Ravens [the real Cleveland Browns] playing on Monday night. Does anyone else see the irony in this?

It has been proven time and time again, cities and states do not pony up for a new stadium and then they lose their team. Only later to decide the lost revenues, lost taxes, and lost dollars to local charities are important. Then each state or local government begins a fight to gain a franchise back. After which a struggle to gain mediocrity begins, while your fleeing franchise wins championships. [Look in everyone's backyard for example-- MN Wild [North Stars] and MN Timberwolves [Lakers]. Come on - the stadium needs to be built. MN can not lose the face of the state.

I honestly hope this was not to political - I would like to hear some responses. If so, I understand if you take me off for a week and my apologies.

Oh and by the way -- Do the smart guys running the KFAN post game show still want Tavaris as a the starting QB or do they now want Webb. Whose bandwagon are they on tonight? I hope they have realized that Farve always was the best option all season. I am sure they will say that Farve was the best, but not to long ago ole CC wanted Farve benched and that Childress was gutless. How about benching Cory Cove from the postgame show!
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

I hope the Minnesota government refuses to pay one cent towards a new stadium. Wilf and Co have totally #### this franchise up either directly or by giving BC the reigns. I was a solid supporter of public funding, but after watching an entire franchise beg a retired QB to come back, a HC ruin an entire season, half the players on the team quit, they have zero QBs after this season, and the pathetic product the field, I wouldnt support the government giving them a dime. If thats the best they can run a franchise, I cant see why anyone would support giving them money, might as well flush it down the toilet. Wilf is as much of the problem as BC was IMO, totally #### clueless. After yesterday, I wouldnt give a #### if they moved to LA for Mondays game. A bunch of quitters and clueless dipshits.