Chris Kluwe's New Band ROCKS!

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Chris Kluwe's New Band ROCKS!

Post by PurpleMustReign »

bigskyeric wrote:Jeez, and all I wanted to do was give Kluwe Props, and once again, an argument. Offseasons are stupid.

lol, oops. It was my bad. I just don't like him.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
bigskyeric
All Pro Elite Player

Post by bigskyeric »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Like I say, I respect your opinion about Metallica and Hammett. I just don't share it.

It's great that Master Of Puppets kept you from doing coke. That DOES count for something. I just wonder, with the way Metallica deliver music and lyrics, if many people really get that the song is about cocaine. Or if they do, that cocaine is actually bad. That's really my point with the lyrics. Does the delivery destroy the intent? For me, it does.

I like guitar players who can make melodies and make their instruments sing, almost like they're saying something. Metal guys like Hammett and John Petrucci and the like are too show-offy for me. Look how fast I am. Speed means nothing to me unless it's in the context of a musical statement. I'm talking about guys like Carlos Santana and David Gilmour and Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jimmy Page and a whole host of jazz players and (yes) Phil Keaggy (when Hendrix was asked by Johnny Carson how it felt to be the best guitar player in the world, Hendrix replied, "I don't know ... you'd have to ask Phil Keaggy"). For technique, creativity, versatility, endurance, and expression, there's nobody better. He's a freaking savant.

Of course, like you said, it's all a matter of personal taste.

To bring the discussion back to football, yes it's stupid to count punts downed inside the 20 as a stat. :wink:
I understand the "making the guitar sing" comment. Santana, B.B. King, Keaggy, Gilmour (just played 'The Wall' last night during dinner) Page, Hendrix, Paul, Muddy Waters. The Greats. There was a TERRIBLE 90's band called 'Extreme' but they had one the greats. Nunu Bettencourt. His rendition of 'flight of the (wounded) bumblebee' is still amazing. Or the 90's band Living Colour's Vernon Reid (cult of personality was their one hit). All AMAZING guitarists. But I'm still drawn to Hammett. Maybe because I've seen him live so many times. And have witnessed his talent and felt the energy he expels. He Can make his guitar sing, sound like a Machine Gun, even make it sound like the Devil is screaming in Misery. It blows me away. Yes he is VERY fast. But he is also VERY precise. Unlike many metal lead guitarists who just go fast with no content. So we apparently have similar taste, but differ on the metal thing. As for 'Master of Puppets', I think anyone who has an ear for lyrics, gets the content."Chop your breakfast on a Mirror, I will Occupy, I will help you Die, I will run to you, now I rule you too....come crawling faster, Obey your Master, Your life burns faster.......Master of Puppets is pulling your strings, twisting your life and smashing your dreams, blinded by me you can't see a thing, Just call my name and I'll here your scream..." People who listen to Metal comprehend metal. I know every lyric of every song from both Metallica's and Slayer's early days. I also listen to Hip Hop (NOT RAP, but underground Hip Hop like Atmosphere, Blue Print, Brother Ali, Jurrasic 5....the good stuff not played on the radio) so I've always been intrigued
by the story with in a song. Anyways, Kapp...I've always enjoyed your replies on this forum. You're a smart dude. Sorry we had to argue about something....but hey! At least you know I'm not a push-over......P.S. this thread was never about football. It was about music from the start. It's offseason, and anything to entertain us till the season begins is a plus in my eyes.
SKOL to MUSIC! :burp:
Here is the video that blew me away when I was 11 years old, Instant Fan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT6vqeL-ysI
Seek and Destroy
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Metallica cover bands abound, actually. There is nothing too terribly intricate about the solos.

For point of reference, Megadeth has always had better guitar playing, even when they had Poland and Pitrelli.

Scott Ian buries Hetfield as a rhythm guitarist.

The bass playing in Metallica is good, but nothing too over the top, RIP Cliff. That is, if you can ever hear it. They squandered a great talent with Jason Newsted. Take a listen to his stuff with Echobrain and Voivod if you doubt. Trujillo was a major coup for them, I'll give them that.

Lars is an adequate drummer. Thats being generous. I'd rather have Nick friggin' Menza than Ulrich. To think he compares to Lombardo and Bostaph (excellent and underrated session drummer) or especially such an influential drummer as Benante is laughable. Hell, Benante is head and shoulders above Ulrich even when he's playing a in a far right wing crossover thrash pisstake of a side project. SPEAK ENGLISH OR DIE.

On a final note, why would you think Metallica is impossible to cover when there are numerous mindblowingly talented progressive, death metal, and 3rd Wave thrash bands out there? Heavy metal musicianship, in all aspects has improved immensely in the past 20 years or so.
bigskyeric
All Pro Elite Player

Post by bigskyeric »

Hunter Morrow wrote:Metallica cover bands abound, actually. There is nothing too terribly intricate about the solos.

For point of reference, Megadeth has always had better guitar playing, even when they had Poland and Pitrelli.

Scott Ian buries Hetfield as a rhythm guitarist.

The bass playing in Metallica is good, but nothing too over the top, RIP Cliff. That is, if you can ever hear it. They squandered a great talent with Jason Newsted. Take a listen to his stuff with Echobrain and Voivod if you doubt. Trujillo was a major coup for them, I'll give them that.

Lars is an adequate drummer. Thats being generous. I'd rather have Nick friggin' Menza than Ulrich. To think he compares to Lombardo and Bostaph (excellent and underrated session drummer) or especially such an influential drummer as Benante is laughable. Hell, Benante is head and shoulders above Ulrich even when he's playing a in a far right wing crossover thrash pisstake of a side project. SPEAK ENGLISH OR DIE.

On a final note, why would you think Metallica is impossible to cover when there are numerous mindblowingly talented progressive, death metal, and 3rd Wave thrash bands out there? Heavy metal musicianship, in all aspects has improved immensely in the past 20 years or so.
Mustaine is great, but Megadeth's music didn't age as well as Slayer's or Metallica's. Ulrich is better then adequate. A bit of a Hack in the early days, but grew into a true power legend.( He makes every top rock drummer list for a reason) Lombardo is better, but not much. If we are talking Drummer's, I can name a BUNCH of Jazz drummers that will school almost every name in Rock n Roll.( even Neil Peart :D ) Newsted was very good but Cliff Burton will always be king to me. Trujillo did fit right in and was easily excepted. Scott Ian is a GOD, but Anthrax lacked something. I think it was solid albums. To many dud songs amidst true works of art. As for new school Metal, I LOVE Sweden's 'In Flames'. But I find too many metal bands doing the gurgling crap 'Cradle of Filth' made popular. No matter how good they are, the gurgling ruins it for me. I guess I love Metallica because they were the first. ( Like Babe Ruth )I will always be a fan of the Pioneers. Slayer, 'tallica, Flotsam and Jetsam, Testement, Anthrax.....or the REAL pioneers, Hendrix, Deep Purple, MotorHead, AngleWitch, Etc.... Thanks for talking Metal with me man. Fun to get my mind off of Football.
Seek and Destroy
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

bigskyeric wrote: I understand the "making the guitar sing" comment. Santana, B.B. King, Keaggy, Gilmour (just played 'The Wall' last night during dinner) Page, Hendrix, Paul, Muddy Waters. The Greats. There was a TERRIBLE 90's band called 'Extreme' but they had one the greats. Nunu Bettencourt. His rendition of 'flight of the (wounded) bumblebee' is still amazing. Or the 90's band Living Colour's Vernon Reid (cult of personality was their one hit). All AMAZING guitarists. But I'm still drawn to Hammett. Maybe because I've seen him live so many times. And have witnessed his talent and felt the energy he expels. He Can make his guitar sing, sound like a Machine Gun, even make it sound like the Devil is screaming in Misery. It blows me away. Yes he is VERY fast. But he is also VERY precise. Unlike many metal lead guitarists who just go fast with no content. So we apparently have similar taste, but differ on the metal thing. As for 'Master of Puppets', I think anyone who has an ear for lyrics, gets the content."Chop your breakfast on a Mirror, I will Occupy, I will help you Die, I will run to you, now I rule you too....come crawling faster, Obey your Master, Your life burns faster.......Master of Puppets is pulling your strings, twisting your life and smashing your dreams, blinded by me you can't see a thing, Just call my name and I'll here your scream..." People who listen to Metal comprehend metal. I know every lyric of every song from both Metallica's and Slayer's early days. I also listen to Hip Hop (NOT RAP, but underground Hip Hop like Atmosphere, Blue Print, Brother Ali, Jurrasic 5....the good stuff not played on the radio) so I've always been intrigued
by the story with in a song. Anyways, Kapp...I've always enjoyed your replies on this forum. You're a smart dude. Sorry we had to argue about something....but hey! At least you know I'm not a push-over......P.S. this thread was never about football. It was about music from the start. It's offseason, and anything to entertain us till the season begins is a plus in my eyes.
SKOL to MUSIC! :burp:
Here is the video that blew me away when I was 11 years old, Instant Fan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT6vqeL-ysI
Thanks for the "smart" comment.

We don't disagree as much as you think. I'm a musician (although saying that in the context of the guitarists we've been talking about is like saying a flea and a lion are the same thing because they're both alive :D ), and as a musician, I love and appreciate music. So do you. So we have that in common, even if our tastes differ.

And heck no, you're no pushover! You've given me a lot to think about, actually. I'll probably never like metal, but I appreciate how you've explained Kirk Hammett as opposed to other metal guitarists. I'll check out more of him.

I remember Extreme. Seems like they had a few hits in the 80s and 90s. In fact, the one I remember most -- More Than Words -- isn't a metal song at all, but an acoustic ballad.

Speaking of acoustic ... here's some Keaggy. Gotta get to the second half of the vid before the REALLY good stuff starts.

Been good talkin' tunes with ya!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Anthrax doesn't have good records? Come on. Spreading the Disease, Among the Living, and Persistence of Time (first metal album) stack up very well against stuff that was coming out during that period.

Anthrax got completely shafted throughout the 90s. The sound and direction they took the band should have led to ENORMOUS breakout and crossover appeal success, while still remaining most definitely metal enough to satisfy most metal enthusiasts.

You listen to the pansy bro-rock that is clogging up modern rock and metal stations and you'll realize that Anthrax was doing it 15 years prior and 10 times as good. Bush is a phenomenal vocalist, Ian and Benante held down the rhythm section masterfully as always, and Caggianio and Bello did a good job too.

Any time they had Dimebag on a track, like Riding Shotgun, it was gold.

Tripping Icarus is solid, but I don't hear Metallica at all. Skid Row jumped to mind though, and that is by no means an insult. Slave to the Grind is one of my fave records. Excellent, bluesy heavy rock.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

for my money...it doesn't get any better than when he sings, "when a man loves a woman".

i'm ready for a beer.
bigskyeric
All Pro Elite Player

Post by bigskyeric »

Kapp, Thanks for the link. And Yes, Thanks for talking music. FUN! You have given me A LOT to think about as well. I am in the same catagory as you. I played drums in school, But soon, skate boarding and all the sprained wrists that come with it ended that venture. I still hung out with all the band geeks and Jazz Onsomble kids. (Duluth Central, my alma mater had a national champ program)
Hunter, When I said Anthrax lacked something...."duds amidst true works of art", I did not mean Anthrax were duds. I meant their albums would have several GREAT songs, and then songs that just didn't captivate me. They lost my attention somewhere along the way. I think it was when they got the new singer. But I agree, they did it long before the newer class did. But that could be said for all the originals. Ever notice how many bands/vocalists try and sound like Metallica. (Trivium sticks out the most) Even pop singers like Avril Levigne or Miley Cyrus try and mimic James. (stupid)
So, just for kicks, Here is a link to my Nephew's new band. He's the lead guitarist. Pretty proud of the kid.
http://www.myspace.com/amauros I like the song Firemind the best, but let me know what you think.
Seek and Destroy
bigskyeric
All Pro Elite Player

Post by bigskyeric »

While we're at it, Here is a link to Cliff Burton from 1983. Still blows my mind.... R.I.P. (If you don't know, Cliff was killed when Metallica's tour bus flipped over in Germany in 1986) He was only 24 years old.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_wGFfrJv4Y
Seek and Destroy
bigskyeric
All Pro Elite Player

Post by bigskyeric »

vikeinmontana wrote:for my money...it doesn't get any better than when he sings, "when a man loves a woman".

"Why should I have to change my name?? He's the one who SUCKS!!"
Seek and Destroy
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

Kirk Hammett is top 10 guitarists of all time.

Not even close. Satriani, yes.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
bigskyeric
All Pro Elite Player

Post by bigskyeric »

headless_norseman wrote:
Not even close. Satriani, yes.
Your Right. Number 11 isn't even close to top

ten...http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/ ... ll_time/11
:lol:
Seek and Destroy
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

I don't even know if I'd put him top 11 American heavy metal guitarists.

Schuldiner and Skolnik I think are better, and thats just the S. Maybe if he stayed in Exodus with Gary Holt he could have developed Number 11 chops.
bigskyeric
All Pro Elite Player

Post by bigskyeric »

Hunter Morrow wrote:I don't even know if I'd put him top 11 American heavy metal guitarists.

Schuldiner and Skolnik I think are better, and thats just the S. Maybe if he stayed in Exodus with Gary Holt he could have developed Number 11 chops.
Honestly, that list is kind of dumb. VanHalen at 70?? Satriani, Keaggy, Dimebag aren't even on the list. Keith Richards at 10! (not a fan) I was just being a smart ####. I think when we talk top guitarists, they are all tops. Just a matter of opinion. (Not like any of us are sticking up for Green Day or some other lame band) There are thousands of guitarists out there that are amazing.
Seek and Destroy
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Oh for chrissakes, that RS list. Where about 30 friggin hacks went ahead of Zappa, to include Tom Morello. Rolling Stone is better for politics than music nowadays, all of their top 50 and top 100 lists are epic fail.