Yankees offer closer Rivera $45M, 3-year deal

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Yankees offer closer Rivera $45M, 3-year deal

Post by PurpleMustReign »

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3108883

NEW YORK -- Mariano Rivera was offered a $45 million, three-year contract to stay with the New York Yankees. Now, the team is waiting to hear back from its star closer.

Are you F-ing with me? $15 million per year for a closer? MLB is going downhill fast. No closer is worth that much, even when Rivera was in his prime.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Money doesnt matter. How many world series have the Yankees won?

Oh, that's right. Red Sox pulling it off with the #2 payroll now. :lol:
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

makes me wish I actually made an attempt to play baseball
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

Demi wrote:Money doesnt matter. How many world series have the Yankees won?

Oh, that's right. Red Sox pulling it off with the #2 payroll now. :lol:
Or the Mets, Dodgers, Giants, White Sox who all missed the playoffs. Cubs and Angels who didn't get anywhere.

That is way too much for Rivera, but no surprise. Thats the same offer the Twins gave Hunter that he declined; it was probably more that he wanted a longer deal than the 15 per year though. Salaries are getting outrageous in baseball, its just nutty. But if the owners are willing to pay it, so be it; I'd rather the talent get the money than the owners making even more coin.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

MrPurplenGold wrote:makes me wish I actually made an attempt to play baseball
LOL, I missed that boat too. Evidently I should have played beyond Little League!
vikingman
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by vikingman »

Steinbrenner started this whole damn mess that Major League baseball has got itself into. I have to laugh at him as he has been trying to buy another world series team and they haven't done anything in the playoffs. This guy is such an idiot that he will just keep paying out this type of money and again not do anything in the playoffs. There is no baseball player worth that kind of money. As a matter of fact there is no player in any sport worth that kind of money. Owners are idiots however, it is the fan that loses as usual as they just pass the salaries on to us through ticket prices and concession and we just keep paying it. I think we are the ones that needs are heads examine. If we quit paying these prices you wouldn't see those types of salaries. Just a Kansas boys opinion.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

vikingman wrote:Steinbrenner started this whole #### mess that Major League baseball has got itself into. I have to laugh at him as he has been trying to buy another world series team and they haven't done anything in the playoffs. This guy is such an idiot that he will just keep paying out this type of money and again not do anything in the playoffs. There is no baseball player worth that kind of money. As a matter of fact there is no player in any sport worth that kind of money. Owners are idiots however, it is the fan that loses as usual as they just pass the salaries on to us through ticket prices and concession and we just keep paying it. I think we are the ones that needs are heads examine. If we quit paying these prices you wouldn't see those types of salaries. Just a Kansas boys opinion.
Great points. We are a nation of suckers.

Steinbrenner is quite funny; when he runs the team and goes out and buys the roster they get nowhere. It happened from the late 70's until 96 and it is going on now. When he lets the GM do his job they win championships thru team building. I don't think he ever got that.