Chiefs Pre Game discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Chiefs Pre Game discussion

Post by Dames »

This is a big one guys. Will it make or break the season? Probably not. It's important to keep pace with GB though. I was hoping the Chiefs could hold on last vs the Packers, but it didn't happen. I don't know that it has all that much impact on our playoff chances, although every win matters.

The Vikings have an advantage with Cook. The Chiefs are awful vs the run. 160 yds/game prior to the Packers game. That game will make their stats look slightly better, but only because GB used screens like a running game and really destroyed them on some huge plays. On the pure rushing attempts GB still gained over 5 yds per carry. We SHOULD be able to run easily.

The passing game looks better on paper, but again GB just put up some gaudy numbers last night. 374 yards passing. In other words, our offense should be able to score.

On Defense, getting Mahomes vs Moore makes a big difference. Mahomes can be awesome, and take over a game. I'm certain though that even if he plays he will be limited, but he's still a better QB than Moore regardless. Moore is not a horrible QB though. He can throw the ball, and our defense has not exactly been shutting down teams in the last few games. Hill is a huge threat no matter who they have at QB, and they have several other playmakers - Hardman, Watson, D. Williams, McCoy, etc. Overall they are ranked just a notch or 2 behind the Vikings Offense, and not having Mahomes has hurt those stats naturally. They are loaded with talent though.

I expect to see a game similar to how the GB game went last night, and whoever make the most mistakes will lose. We can definitely win this, but it will not be easy. We have a better Def than GB (the stats are bearing that out as the season goes), so I do expect us to put up a solid fight, and if Mahomes is out again, we should win. If Mahomes plays, I like our chances less, but it doesn't mean I think we'll lose for sure. We are a really good team, and we're playing well. Going into KC i never easy though.

It should be an entertaining game.
Damian
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Chiefs Pre Game discussion

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I think they can still win with Mahomes playing but I'd much rather not have to face him :lol: I think they will try to load up on the run and make Kirk beat them. If Cook and Mattison can get going we will win. If they stop the running game it will be a close game unless the defense takes over.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

From what I have seen, the Chiefs are super aggressive on defense but they are also prone to give up big plays.
We will give up sacks to the blitz, but we should still be able to score in the 30's. We will have to to win it as they are a difficult offense to shut down even with Moore leading them.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:04 pm From what I have seen, the Chiefs are super aggressive on defense but they are also prone to give up big plays.
We will give up sacks to the blitz, but we should still be able to score in the 30's. We will have to to win it as they are a difficult offense to shut down even with Moore leading them.
They appear to gamble, so hopefully Stefanski is feeling creative and Cousins is high alert. If they get to Cousins early, I worry about about him getting happy feet still. He's been great for 4 games, so I'm hopeful still, but you know.

I agree about needing to score in the 30s. I'd be surprised if it's not needed.
Damian
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

If we can control the pace of the game we may not need 30 points. But even running the ball we may score TDs to quick, so i guess 35-3 Vikes.
Formerly AADPFan
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Grashopa wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:51 pm If we can control the pace of the game we may not need 30 points. But even running the ball we may score TDs to quick, so i guess 35-3 Vikes.
Love that optimism! I'd be pumped.
Damian
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

This game is going to come down to how well our defense can slow down their attack ... because I don't see Kansas City stopping us unless we run into a rash of turnovers. I've watched several Chiefs games this year, and I've seen a team that really struggles to stop the run. To slow down our offense, you HAVE to stop the run because everything, including the passing game, plays off the run.

As per usual, I don't get into predicting games anymore. But I'll just say that I wouldn't be surprised if we win this game, even if Mahomes plays. We have the offensive firepower to play with anybody, and our defense, while not as spectacular as in the recent past, is far superior to theirs. The Arrowhead factor will loom large, but I believe in our offense.

Can't believe I'm saying that.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:44 pm I believe in our offense.

Can't believe I'm saying that.
:lol:

I can't believe I'm actually optimistic either, but honestly it feels like we've really started to gel. I hope it's not a mirage. I love they way we look lately though. It doesn't feel like a mirage. It feels like an offense that is hitting it's stride. Great play calling and execution. I don't think it it's only because the defenses we'd play. Sure, that obviously helps, but it feels different. I don't see anything about the Chiefs D that will change that, and honestly there are not many defenses on our upcoming schedule that strike fear. Even the Bears D has been vulnerable lately.

That said, I still keep waiting for the wheels to fall off. That awful Bears game wasn't that long ago.
Damian
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

An update.

According to multiple reports, including one by Ian Rapoport, Patrick Mahomes is most likely to return Week 10 against Tennessee.
The quarterback has a “realistic” shot to return Nov. 10 against the Tennessee Titans in Week 10 due to “how naturally loose his ligaments are,” according to a report by NFL.com. That’s the most likely scenario and is a week earlier than the initially expected three-game range for his return after dislocating his kneecap 10 days ago.
That being said, other reports say that Mahomes has been pushing to return this week against the Vikings. And we all know that Andy Reid is going to play the "will he/won't he" game right up until kickoff if he can.

Stay tuned.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Seems like all the "expert" analysts are about split 50/50 . Half say if he is ready play him, to ensure better playoff seeding. The other half say it's stupid to play him, especially against our Vikes D, when their bye wk is the following wk.
I personally also think that Big Andy will play the guessing game but Moore will end up playing.
Biggest thing is, we just need to win regardless of who plays.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I admit I don't know much about the Chiefs beyond their offensive prowess and big play capability. I thought most of that revolved around the magic of Patrick Mahomes, but after watching Matt Moore at QB against the Packers I'm less convinced Mahomes is the magic sauce for that offense and it collapses without him. The fact is, with or without Mahomes the Chiefs have several guys with big-play capability on offense. They are also at home and the game is outside, which are all factors in their favor. I think the Vikings match up pretty well against the KC offense (they do against most offenses), but will have to be on top of their game and execute well. They have to play aware football as KC likes to run a lot of misdirection and pre-snap movement, and the Vikings have to take away the big plays. That means get a solid pass rush that contains the QB while collapsing the pocket, which they've been very good at so far this year, stay aware in coverage, and tackle. These are all things the Vikings defense can do, and unless they come out flat-footed again like they did against Green Bay, I think they will largely do. It's probably asking too much to shut down an offense like KC's, but it shouldn't be too much to make them drive the field. The big plays are what an offense like KC's thrives on, so take that away, slow them down, frustrate them, get them to take some risky chances, and the Vikings defense wins the day.

As for the offense against the KC defense, it's really pretty simple. Run, run, and then run some more. Make KC sell out to stop the run, and then go after them down the field and, most importantly, hit on those attempts. Lots is being said about Stefanski as a great OC. Well, in this upcoming outdoors road game against an opponent that fields an explosive offensive, maintaining time of possession and wearing down a defense that will have the crowd behind it have to be goals A and A1. KC is not a good run defense, and while they are better as a pass defense, not all that much better. What Stefanski and the offense want to do is along the lines of the type of "bully" football they played to start the season against the Falcons and the Raiders. Wear em down. Gash them. Pick up 5+ yards a pop consistently running. Come out in the heavy formations and demonstrate the will and ability to pick up yards on the ground, especially if KC struggles to stop it. Be patient with this, because the big play opportunities will come in spades later on if it works.

I think this game is going to come down to which team gets an early lead and how big that lead becomes. When the Vikings have lost this season, both were road games where they fell behind early. If the Vikings can avoid that in KC and get the early lead, I predict they win. If they fall behind early, especially by any substantial margin (I'd quantify substantial by more than 10 points by the end of the first half), it's going to be much harder to pull out a win.

KC, with or without Mahomes, is a good team and will be a good test of the Vikings at the season's midpoint.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Teams the Chiefs beat last year had a combined record of 51-125. Teams they lost to had a combined record of 34-14. I took the Chargers(12-4)out because they split with them. I don't fear Mahomes. The Chiefs defense does not do well against good teams. Can they score? Sure, they can also be shut down.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Raptorman wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:03 pm Teams the Chiefs beat last year had a combined record of 51-125. Teams they lost to had a combined record of 34-14. I took the Chargers(12-4)out because they split with them. I don't fear Mahomes. The Chiefs defense does not do well against good teams. Can they score? Sure, they can also be shut down.
Took the eventual Super Bowl Champs to overtime. They were as good as their record said they were.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:25 pm
Raptorman wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:03 pm Teams the Chiefs beat last year had a combined record of 51-125. Teams they lost to had a combined record of 34-14. I took the Chargers(12-4)out because they split with them. I don't fear Mahomes. The Chiefs defense does not do well against good teams. Can they score? Sure, they can also be shut down.
Took the eventual Super Bowl Champs to overtime. They were as good as their record said they were.
If you have to score 30 points per game to win on an average, you are doing something wrong. They remind me of the Rams last year. They can score a ton of points but can't stop anyone. Over the last 2 years, their defense gives up 25 points per game.(And in losses, it's 35.5 points per game) It's hard to keep winning doing that, as the Rams found out. The Chiefs are next.

BTW, the Dolphins split with the Patriots last year. Does that make the Phins good?
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Raptorman wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:45 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:25 pm

If you have to score 30 points per game to win on an average, you are doing something wrong. They remind me of the Rams last year. They can score a ton of points but can't stop anyone. Over the last 2 years, their defense gives up 25 points per game.(And in losses, it's 35.5 points per game) It's hard to keep winning doing that, as the Rams found out. The Chiefs are next.

BTW, the Dolphins split with the Patriots last year. Does that make the Phins good?
Yeah, splitting with the Pats in the regular season is remotely the same thing as taking the Pats to OT in the AFC championship game.

Their D was bad, their offense was darn near unstoppable.