Vikings claim Ben Tate

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Vikings claim Ben Tate

Post by dead_poet »

Uhhhhhhhh
@FieldYates ---Source: the Vikings have claimed RB Ben Tate.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
frosted
Career Elite Player

Re: Vikings claim Ben Tate

Post by frosted »

Saw that - I actually had a sneaky suspicion we might, I speculated about it on Purple Pain. I don't mind the move. Cheap as dirt.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Funnily, Ben Tate just left a situation where he was frustrated with not getting enough touches in a 3-back rotation.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/24033/career/

He averaged about four yards a carry(through career) and two seasons he had 1000 yards with running and passing yards combined...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Don't mind the move it all. It can't really hurt and we need all the help we can get on offense. Especially with AP not coming back. It kind of came at a perfect time. Low risk high reward type signing
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@GoesslingESPN -- Re: Tate claim: Matt Asiata (concussion) and Jerick McKinnon (low back) did not practice today. #Vikings might need RB depth
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

The biggest knock on him over the years has been his lack of durability.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I guess I don't mind it. It'll be interesting how he does here. He didn't do well at all after the Browns' starting center went down and the line has really suffered as a result with opening running lanes. He was solid early (first three games) before that happened. He's also looked pretty slow as of late, which is a bit odd given he's only 26 and doesn't have much wear-and-tear on him. He's also about as big of an injury risk as anyone. We'll see. I'm not expecting Tate to suddenly spark our offense.

I'm also sadly finally starting to come around to the fact that Peterson has probably played his last down in Minnesota. It still doesn't make any sense.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

I like Tate in a 2 RB rotation with McKinnon. Asiata can come in for goal line duties.
Tate seems to be a bit faster than Asiata and a little more powerful than McKinnon.
I like it and hope it works out.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Two banged up running backs? sounds like they needed a guy who could hit the ground running. Grabbing a guy familiar with Norv makes sense.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

S197 wrote:Two banged up running backs? sounds like they needed a guy who could hit the ground running. Grabbing a guy familiar with Norv makes sense.
I don't think he's ever been with Norv before, he just signed with the Browns this past offseason - was drafted by Houston.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Tate strengths are elusiveness and vision, from what I have seen, of his highlights...

He has okay speed, and a pretty good stiff arm ... I would say an upgrade over what we have currently;
although I think McKinnon has the potential to be the best back on this roster, due to his speed and strength.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

frosted wrote: I don't think he's ever been with Norv before, he just signed with the Browns this past offseason - was drafted by Houston.
Yeah he's never had norv
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

They waived MarQueis Gray to make room for Tate.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

BUT can ANY of these RBs pass block????