Peterson to practice and play this weekend.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

GQVikesFan
Rookie

Peterson to practice and play this weekend.

Post by GQVikesFan »

Eden Prairie, MN (September 15, 2014) – Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson will fully participate in this week’s practices and meetings and is expected to play this Sunday in New Orleans.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/S ... 1c1ea783b2
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Peterson to practice and play this weekend.

Post by Funkytown »

Wow...not sure what to think. Guess this means the Vikes are sticking by him.
GQVikesFan
Rookie

Post by GQVikesFan »

PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

Funkytown wrote:Wow...not sure what to think. Guess this means the Vikes are sticking by him.

According to my interpretation of what I read on the Viking's site, it appears they are sticking by him in as much as there is a due process working in the legal system. However, it does state they will follow the situation, which seems to mean they reserve the flexibility to make other decisions down the line.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Here's the full statement from Zygi and Mark Wilf::

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/S ... 1c1ea783b2
Today’s decision was made after significant thought, discussion and consideration. As evidenced by our decision to deactivate Adrian from yesterday’s game, this is clearly a very important issue. On Friday, we felt it was in the best interests of the organization to step back, evaluate the situation, and not rush to judgment given the seriousness of this matter. At that time, we made the decision that we felt was best for the Vikings and all parties involved.

To be clear, we take very seriously any matter that involves the welfare of a child. At this time, however, we believe this is a matter of due process and we should allow the legal system to proceed so we can come to the most effective conclusions and then determine the appropriate course of action. This is a difficult path to navigate, and our focus is on doing the right thing. Currently we believe we are at a juncture where the most appropriate next step is to allow the judicial process to move forward.

We will continue to monitor the situation closely and support Adrian’s fulfillment of his legal responsibilities throughout this process.
I think they've chosen a fair and reasonable course of action because, as they said, it's a difficult path to navigate.
tnvikesfan
Starter

Post by tnvikesfan »

I'm not sure what to think about this. Obviously, the judicial system has to run it's course. I don't know what the league policy is about playing while under indictment, if there is a difference between misdemeanor or felony charges, or if it comes down to whether or not the individual is found guilty. What is the league's policy for discipline in such charges? I think this is a first for injury to a child, either in the child abuse or negligent injury format?

Legally, can the league or the team discipline/suspend a player who has not been convicted of a personal (non-drug/alcohol) charge until it is settled? I'm sure the contracts have stipulations for each player.
~Ginny~

A woman is only vulnerable while her nails are wet. Even then, she can pull the trigger if she needs to.
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

Big mistake by the Vikings. They're using the "due process" shield but in this case there's not a lot of ambiguity about the relevant details. Peterson has admitted to causing the injuries in question through a statement issued by his lawyer. I don't think the legal verdict is going to matter much as to how people view his actions.

The Vikings got a lot of props for deactivating Peterson. Whatever goodwill they generated in the court of public opinion has largely been undone with this decision.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

It is a lose-lose situation regardless of what the team did.

At the end of the day, this is the NFL. It is a business. The objective of the NFL's employees (coaches, GMs, Players), is to win games. This was clearly a decision in order to execute the business side of the NFL.

I don't necessarily agree with the decision, but I certainly understand it. Besides, who am I to be judge, jury, and executioner?
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:It is a lose-lose situation regardless of what the team did.

At the end of the day, this is the NFL. It is a business. The objective of the NFL's employees (coaches, GMs, Players), is to win games. This was clearly a decision in order to execute the business side of the NFL.

I don't necessarily agree with the decision, but I certainly understand it. Besides, who am I to be judge, jury, and executioner?
Great post!
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:It is a lose-lose situation regardless of what the team did.

That's my take on it as well. There are a lot of things that *might* happen down the road. But right now it's business as usual.

It's a sad state of affairs any way that one cuts it.
3Deep
Practice Squad

Post by 3Deep »

Pseudo Everything wrote:Big mistake by the Vikings. They're using the "due process" shield but in this case there's not a lot of ambiguity about the relevant details. Peterson has admitted to causing the injuries in question through a statement issued by his lawyer. I don't think the legal verdict is going to matter much as to how people view his actions.

The Vikings got a lot of props for deactivating Peterson. Whatever goodwill they generated in the court of public opinion has largely been undone with this decision.
Not defending Peterson's actions here, but we really do not have all the facts, and due process is the way to go. Yes, Peterson admitted to disciplining his son, and from the photos we have seen, it would appear he went well beyond the line. However, we really don't know the injuries the child sustained, to what degree, etc... We also don't know how truthful the boy's account was, or if his answers were scripted by maybe say a money seeking ex of Peterson... (never like questioning the victim, and it's not my place, thats what DUE PROCESS is for).

This is the best course of actions for the Vikings as a team on the field, and possibly down the road. I would still be surprised to see him cut after this year, unless this gets a lot uglier, but it may happen due to salary, etc... If he is on the field he is worth more in a trade scenario as well.
NDVikeFan
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by NDVikeFan »

Bad move IMO.

People get suspended with pay all the time while facing due process. IMO the Vikings should have deactivated him this week. IMO he should have been deactivated all games until all this legal stuff is behind him.

Let the Circus begin. Can you imagine what the Saints fans will do this weekend? Can you imagine all of the protesters at Vikings games now? Pretty sure it's all going to happen.

How does this divide the Locker room? I know some players showed him support for him this past weekend , but with 63 players on a team someone has to have a problem with letting him play. Same goes for the coaches.

Don't forget about Goodell either. The ball is in his court, and it will be very very interesting to see what he does now. Just because the Vikings reinstated him doesn't make it a lock he plays this weekend.

Words cannot describe how ugly this story is and will be for the foreseeable future.

This is all in my opinion. Not going to argue a bunch about it all as everyone can have there opinions.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

This is going to be hard for a lot of people to swallow. I'm betting that the Vikings are in possession of what they feel is a majority of the facts in the case. Otherwise this would be a questionable move. Problem is, they probably can't tell what they know, because of the investigation. Which will cloud this decision.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Pseudo Everything wrote:Big mistake by the Vikings. They're using the "due process" shield but in this case there's not a lot of ambiguity about the relevant details. Peterson has admitted to causing the injuries in question through a statement issued by his lawyer. I don't think the legal verdict is going to matter much as to how people view his actions.
What if he is found not guilty or the jury do not believe there are strong enough evidence and dismiss the case? Would it still be hiding behind the due process shield then?
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

personally i would have been okay with either the decision to not let him play, or to let him play. as someone mentioned above the nfl is a business and the vikings brass knows that. without peterson on the field regularly you can flush our season down the drain.