New RB rule

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

New RB rule

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I dont know if this has been post somehwere else, but I just heard on Rush's radio show, that the NFL has a new rule, where the RB cant lower his head before getting tackled, or running into the tackler. They played a clip from Emmit Smith on ESPN saying what a stupid and unsafe rule it was.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: New RB rule

Post by Mothman »

It's not a rule yet but it's one of the rules under consideration by the competition committee.

This is probably better suited to the NFLTalk section. :)
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Mothman wrote:It's not a rule yet but it's one of the rules under consideration by the competition committee.

This is probably better suited to the NFLTalk section. :)
Ahh true, In fact I thought i was there, because i looked there to see if it had been posted. If you listen to the ESPN talk its all but set in stone to be a new rule.

Could a mod move this or let me know how? Thanks.
Delaqure
Franchise Player

Post by Delaqure »

What a dumb rule :steamed: No more RBs bulling ahead for that extra yard or two. No more lowering your head and slamming into that line to push your way into the endzone. This is a HUGE move that could really change the game. There will undoubtedly be some unforeseen consequences if this goes through.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Delaqure wrote:What a dumb rule :steamed: No more RBs bulling ahead for that extra yard or two. No more lowering your head and slamming into that line to push your way into the endzone. This is a HUGE move that could really change the game. There will undoubtedly be some unforeseen consequences if this goes through.
And it would really hurt the vikings, being a run first team. Our entire game is based on running the ball, getting every extra yard.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

More correctly, the rule being considered says that neither the ball carrier nor the defender can initiate contact with the crown of his helmet. It does not say that the running back cannot lower his head, and it certainly doesn't keep the running back from initiating contact.

We _will_ eventually have rules outlawing any player on the field from initiating contact with the crown of his helmet. It's inevitable.

The problem with this type of rule, though, is in enforcing it. We've seen a million penalties on plays where a defender is clearly trying _not_ to spear a QB or defenseless WR, and the other guy moves a few inches at the last microsecond and it ends up being a hit to the head. Enforcing this new rule will be similar. A running back lowers his shoulder (his head can't help but follow, or he's got serious problems), the defender shifts, gets smacked head-on with the top of the helmet. It can't be helped.
Rams coach Jeff Fisher, a member of the Competition Committee, said he believes coaches will be able to properly instruct their players in how to adjust to this rule.

“The ballcarrier is still going to be permitted to lower his shoulder, and the head is also going to come down to protect the football,” Fisher said. “We’re not taking that part of the run out of the game. What we’re saying is, in space, one-on-one, head-up, we’re not going to allow you to load up and use the crown of your helmet. It’s an obvious thing.”
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -tacklers/
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:And it would really hurt the vikings, being a run first team.

Especially with our RB who likes to bowl over people.

This is an unnecessary rule. Jeff Fisher is an idiot if he thinks players can be coached to do it properly. I will be livid if AD ever gets flagged for this after a big run.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Especially with our RB who likes to bowl over people.

This is an unnecessary rule. Jeff Fisher is an idiot if he thinks players can be coached to do it properly. I will be livid if AD ever gets flagged for this after a big run.
Fisher is an idiot.

Listen to Emmit Smith. I think you can hear him on ESPN's site. He breaks it down better.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Not sure I want to listen to Emmitt Smith when it comes to this rule. Guy sounds like he lowered his head a few too many times. :lol:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Frazier made clear several times he is not in favor of rule proposal penalizing RBs for leading w helmet. Thinks it will fundamentally alter how guys run and take away their instincts.
Dan Wiederer on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

The rule passed;

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... al-meeting
NFL owners also passed a rule that would ban players from leading with the crown of their helmets outside the tackle box.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

That's crap. 15-yard penalty.

Don't worry, AD. Just adjust the entire way you play football.

Has this even caused any injuries to RBs or defenders?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

never mind.
Leslie Frazier says #Vikings decided to vote for crown of helmet rule after NFL provided strong data on spinal injuries.
Tom Pelissero on Twitter
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

The RB rule will be tough to enforce on bang-bang plays. Does specifically state "out in space," so short-yardage/goal-line runs unaffected.
Evan Silva on Twitter
Talked with #Packers prez Mark Murphy, who said key part of the rule is to punish players who specifically use helmet as a weapon. It applies only outside the tackle box and will be called on offensive or defensive player who deliberately initiates helmet contact.
I then asked Murphy what happens if both guys lower their heads. Didn't really know what to say. I guess idea is one guy will be to blame.
Tom Peilissero on Twitter
Last edited by dead_poet on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Get it right: The RB crown rule isn't to protect players. It's to protect owners against current and future lawsuits.
NFLosophy on Twitter