Game day comments: giants/vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Re: Game day comments: giants/vikings

Post by Husker Vike »

Other than the decision to throw short to the TE on the last play, Cousins played a damn good game today. This loss is all on the defense and scheme that we run. i have said many times that we have to have more speed on our inside linebackers as they can't cover, and our safeties play so far back as to come up and make tackles that the linebackers miss.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:02 pm
halfgiz wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:58 pm

You think Hunters strong suit is trying to cover a running back out of the backfield?
A lot of players wasn’t playing to their strengths. Donatell wasn’t going to change anything.
We do need some talent and DC change.
Exactly. Saw hunter multiple times tonight covering guys downfield. Like I said before, the problem is scheme more than talent. We have holes no doubt, never said there wasn’t. But there’s no reason with the players we have, we couldn’t be a middle of the road defense.
There were some media folks for past donatell and pettine defensive coached teams that said we were going to be frustrated by this, before the season started. It's clearly the scheme. Doesn't use players to their strengths. Tries to force players to the scheme. I hate that personally. Coach to your players strengths. Hunter and Smith in coverage through out the season was just asinine.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

CharVike wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:00 pm
chicagopurple wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:55 pm As I feared, 1 and done. I thought our front line quality pretty much doomed our post season. As it turns out, the OL didnt suck today. Our defense was uninspired and looked like a high school coach could have out schemed us. Offensively, way too many passes thrown short of the line of scrimmage. We need a new defensive coordinator, a few replacements in the secondary, and a Bunch of new linemen.
Our OL wasn't a wall either. I seen Bradbury and Ingram shoved into the backfield. I seen behind the LOS throws that were stuffed. Darrisaw cost us a 4th down conversion. That stuff defines suck. We got beat and the entire team didn't do enough for the win.
Yup..Ingram and Bradbury both got abused. Granted the giants interior line is really good, they both seemed to be getting pushed around a ton.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:02 pm

You think Hunters strong suit is trying to cover a running back out of the backfield?
A lot of players wasn’t playing to their strengths. Donatell wasn’t going to change anything.
Exactly. Saw hunter multiple times tonight covering guys downfield. Like I said before, the problem is scheme more than talent. We have holes no doubt, never said there wasn’t. But there’s no reason with the players we have, we couldn’t be a middle of the road defense.
I saw Hunter is coverage also and was pissed as hell. That's wasting his talent. Jones had nobody on him. He runs alot. Donatell is pitiful and he needs to go.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

The giants reached 30 points once this entire year. Two weeks ago against the lifeless colts. They reached 31 today. To a starting QB that’s thrown 15 TD passes this year in 17 games. The entire first half I don’t recall them blitzing one single time. Blitzes didn’t start picking up until the 4th quarter. We made the giants punt one time until late in that game. It was the most pathetically displayed defensive scheme I’ve honestly ever seen. Opposing coaches must laugh at how easy this is to beat. They must laugh at Danielle hunter running down the field in coverage. Ed Donatell is embarrassing.

Yes that last play by cousins was stupid. You have to take a chance downfield. However they showed the replay on Twitter and there wasn’t anyone open. But regardless he has to take that chance. But I have a hard time blaming him for a whole lot after tonight’s game. A couple of our stalled drives were due to irv (dropping an easy first) and stupid play calls like the throwback to cousins. Outside of that we were having our way with this defense. We were turnover free. But we had to play behind all game because our defense couldn’t force this team to punt. Couldn’t fricken force Daniel Jones and one of the worst WR groups in the league to punt. This guy has to be fired. It’s an absolute must. It’s embarrassing and a waste of the talent on this defense
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Husker Vike wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:09 pm Other than the decision to throw short to the TE on the last play, Cousins played a damn good game today. This loss is all on the defense and scheme that we run. i have said many times that we have to have more speed on our inside linebackers as they can't cover, and our safeties play so far back as to come up and make tackles that the linebackers miss.
Agreed 100%. Saw the other day that Asamoah was the #9 graded LB the last 4 weeks of the season. And zero sign of him tonight even being out there (granted he got hurt in the 2nd quarter). But regardless, he’s the one that made a massive play the first time you played the giants, and you just having him rotting on your bench while Kendrick’s and hicks get dusted all game.

Asamoah needs to be a starter next year. And we need to have someone new next to him
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Donatell never stopped the Giants. They stopped themselves late when a WR dropped an easy pass with miles of empty green space in front of him. The game should have been over at that point. We made the Giants look like one of the best Os in the league. They have zero weapons except a back and teams have stuffed him this year. KOC played the hand he was dealt. He got the guys to play very hard for him and wire to wire. You can't ask for anymore than that.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CharVike wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:39 pm Donatell never stopped the Giants. They stopped themselves late when a WR dropped an easy pass with miles of empty green space in front of him. The game should have been over at that point. We made the Giants look like one of the best Os in the league. They have zero weapons except a back and teams have stuffed him this year. KOC played the hand he was dealt. He got the guys to play very hard for him and wire to wire. You can't ask for anymore than that.
Agreed. These guys are going to play for KOC. This defense plays for KOC. But the problem is the situations Donatell puts these guys in. It’s not the effort by players, it’s not for an extreme lack of talent, it’s about the scheme and lack of aggressiveness that Donatell puts forth. He folded like a lawn chair today, played conservative, played scared.

By listening to O’Connells presser, it sounds to me like Donatell is going to be gone. Saying something along the lines of “he tried his best getting this scheme in place and hoped that it would all come together”.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:15 pm The giants reached 30 points once this entire year. Two weeks ago against the lifeless colts. They reached 31 today. To a starting QB that’s thrown 15 TD passes this year in 17 games. The entire first half I don’t recall them blitzing one single time. Blitzes didn’t start picking up until the 4th quarter. We made the giants punt one time until late in that game. It was the most pathetically displayed defensive scheme I’ve honestly ever seen. Opposing coaches must laugh at how easy this is to beat. They must laugh at Danielle hunter running down the field in coverage. Ed Donatell is embarrassing.

Yes that last play by cousins was stupid. You have to take a chance downfield. However they showed the replay on Twitter and there wasn’t anyone open. But regardless he has to take that chance. But I have a hard time blaming him for a whole lot after tonight’s game. A couple of our stalled drives were due to irv (dropping an easy first) and stupid play calls like the throwback to cousins. Outside of that we were having our way with this defense. We were turnover free. But we had to play behind all game because our defense couldn’t force this team to punt. Couldn’t fricken force Daniel Jones and one of the worst WR groups in the league to punt. This guy has to be fired. It’s an absolute must. It’s embarrassing and a waste of the talent on this defense
Wait until the 49ers get that Giant team. First off you can't run on them. That will force Jones to put it up. Won't be so easy.
MossCarterJefferson
Rookie

Post by MossCarterJefferson »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:45 pm
CharVike wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:39 pm Donatell never stopped the Giants. They stopped themselves late when a WR dropped an easy pass with miles of empty green space in front of him. The game should have been over at that point. We made the Giants look like one of the best Os in the league. They have zero weapons except a back and teams have stuffed him this year. KOC played the hand he was dealt. He got the guys to play very hard for him and wire to wire. You can't ask for anymore than that.
Agreed. These guys are going to play for KOC. This defense plays for KOC. But the problem is the situations Donatell puts these guys in. It’s not the effort by players, it’s not for an extreme lack of talent, it’s about the scheme and lack of aggressiveness that Donatell puts forth. He folded like a lawn chair today, played conservative, played scared.

By listening to O’Connells presser, it sounds to me like Donatell is going to be gone. Saying something along the lines of “he tried his best getting this scheme in place and hoped that it would all come together”.

I really hope so, it has to be done
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:45 pm

He's has to go. KOC is a sharp coach. I'm sure he is pissed off. We were up 7-0 and the Giants had 1st and 20. I thought man this is going to be our day. Then boom right down the field. I thought F our D is bad today. I'm not even pissed. KOC has made some mistakes during games and I'm sure with some hires. He'll make a change or he won't be around. He knows that.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CharVike wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:21 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:15 pm The giants reached 30 points once this entire year. Two weeks ago against the lifeless colts. They reached 31 today. To a starting QB that’s thrown 15 TD passes this year in 17 games. The entire first half I don’t recall them blitzing one single time. Blitzes didn’t start picking up until the 4th quarter. We made the giants punt one time until late in that game. It was the most pathetically displayed defensive scheme I’ve honestly ever seen. Opposing coaches must laugh at how easy this is to beat. They must laugh at Danielle hunter running down the field in coverage. Ed Donatell is embarrassing.

Wait until the 49ers get that Giant team. First off you can't run on them. That will force Jones to put it up. Won't be so easy.
Giants will actually get the eagles
-Chazz Palminteri
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:30 pm Im sure it is a surprise to all those folks who thought we had talent, when a majority of it was luck.
I agree. That was my point. The D stunk. And it is horribly coached. And I blame the mighty Kevin for some of this. Every single fan I know, knows this D was bad from day 1. And then the offense decided to not play good ball until the end of the game, where Cousins had to shoulder the load and play hero.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Kirk said on the 4th and 8 he went through the progression and it started with JJ but the safety was coming down. He threw it to TJ because he felt pressure and wanted to get the ball in play. TJ has broken single player tackles this year and this game so he gave him the chance.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

They wound up being the fraud everyone in the media thought they were going to be. Living in Giants country it was pretty unsettling listening to all the disrespect all week, but I knew it.

Donatell should have been fired. Worse than Zimmer. KOC listened to Brandon Staley on Ed. That alone tells you it was doomed from the start.