Any trade prospects, ahead of the deadline?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Any trade prospects, ahead of the deadline?

Post by Texas Vike »

CMC was traded to the 49ers for a haul of draft picks. Clearly, they view themselves in a window to compete for the SB.

With the NFL trade deadline looming (Nov 1), are there any players that we should be targeting for a trade or singing?

I have heard the rumors about OBJ, which kind of make sense except I'm unclear on how we'd get the money freed up and question just how quickly he will be able to recover from his ACL injury and surgery.

Elija Moore of the Jets seems frustrated with the offensive scheme and lack of passing. Worth a try?

Geisicki TE Miami despite his terrible abilities to hit the griddy, is an option that I've seen some Vikings fans mention. I don't know that he is much of an upgrade over Irv Smith Jr., however. Neither is sufficiently good at blocking and both are decent red zone / receiving threats. Maybe I'm underestimating his blocking abilities. I admit that I don't watch too much Dolphins FB.

Any others? Defense could certainly use some playmakers. Suh's name has floated out there for some time.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Re: Any trade prospects, ahead of the deadline?

Post by VikingsFan84 »

It is a stupid trade by the 49ers, McCaffey is overrated and always hurt
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsFan84 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:52 am It is a stupid trade by the 49ers, McCaffey is overrated and always hurt
I agree with this. Christian McCaffrey missed 23 of the Carolina Panthers' past 33 games due to injury. He was fantastic in 2018 and 2019 but that's a long time ago in RB years. They are all in.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

So, back to the thread's topic. Any trade prospects for the Vikings that y'all like? Any FA singings (Suh, OBJ)?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I suppose there are players who could help the Vikings, and it’s nice for once to see our team in the Buyers category.

The problem is the salary cap. At $324,000, we’ve got the least amount of cap space in the NFL. A guy like Mike Gesicki might help, but he’s a) got an $11 million salary, b) is franchise tagged, meaning his contract is all salary and would have to be paid by the Vikings unless the Dolphins would pick up part of it, and c) is a free agent after the season. Not to mention, he’s a slightly taller version of Irv Smith Jr … not an in-line TE who can block, but more of a receiver.

Ndamukong Suh might be worth exploring, but who does he replace? Tomlinson and Phillips are playing well. Suh might be an upgrade in the pass rush, but again what’s the cost?

I actually love the idea of OBJ, but where’s the money gonna come from? Also, they’re saying he won’t be ready to be on the field until December. Assuming he’s anywhere near 100%, is that enough time to mesh with an offense that will already have 11-12 games under its belt?

Maybe the answer is already on the roster. We want a burner who can take the top off a defense … Jalen Reagor can flat-out fly. When do the Vikings start to use him for something other than gadget plays and punt returns? What about Kene Nwangwu? I don’t think he’s recorded an offensive snap this season. Is Irv Smith really a breakout candidate? I know he dropped a big one against Philly, but he did manage to get open down the field. Would it be too much to ask to see the Vikings try again?

In the end, I hate rentals unless it’s absolutely necessary. I’d rather see the Vikings develop the talent they have.
Last edited by J. Kapp 11 on Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

The Vikings can't afford to add anyone and there isn't really anyone available who is a significant upgrade at their positions of need: Guard, QB and CB.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:27 pm The Vikings can't afford to add anyone and there isn't really anyone available who is a significant upgrade at their positions of need: Guard, QB and CB.
You just can’t resist, can you?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

CMC going to SF makes a ton of sense with the Stanford connection.

I have no idea on the options out there...but would love to acquire some speed in the secondary.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:27 pm
Maybe the answer is already on the roster. We want a burner who can take the top off a defense … Jalen Reagor can flat-out fly. When do the Vikings start to use him for something other than gadget plays and punt returns? What about Kene Nwangwu? I don’t think he’s recorded an offensive snap this season. Is Irv Smith really a breakout candidate? I know he dropped a big one against Philly, but he did manage to get open down the field. Would it be too much to ask to see the Vikings try again?

In the end, I hate rentals unless it’s absolutely necessary. I’d rather see the Vikings develop the talent they have.
Totally agree, Kapp. I think you're spot on about Reagor and Nwangwu too. KJ has had a disappointing year so far. I can't get a good read on whether that's scheme, Kirk not finding him, or simply his inability to get open.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

We are in cap hell with Cousins and Cook. If the Vikings cant trade Mattison, maybe they should try Cook. Behind a good Oline that, can push guys back instead of getting pushed back, Cook would still excel. We need to shore up on the D side of the ball, maybe we could trade some picks in. But we will need all the picks we have to draft a decent QB for the first time in decades.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

Remembering back to the chaos of the firing and hiring. There were a lot of voices advocating a complete rebuild. We soon learned that the Vikings were going to do a “competitive rebuild” and try making one last push with a core group of aging Zim era players. We made a few moves within the context of what we had to work with. I think for the most part aside from snatching a few more players for depth we won’t see anymore big moves.

I look for the Vikings to move off some more veteran salaries this off season. That being the case I question why they would want to renegotiate many more contracts at this point. In the context of the Vikings opting not to do a complete rebuild I think we couldn’t have hoped for a better record at this point of the season. I look for the Vikings to not make any big moves and more cap space being cleared in the coming off season.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:28 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:27 pm The Vikings can't afford to add anyone and there isn't really anyone available who is a significant upgrade at their positions of need: Guard, QB and CB.
I'm shocked he included QB as a position that had no one available that would be a significant upgrade. Isn't Sam Darnold available.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:02 pm
I'm shocked he included QB as a position that had no one available that would be a significant upgrade. Isn't Sam Darnold available.
I'm sure he has a few on his list that can come in here and throw 30+ TDs playing behind a hacked OL. Seeing Teddy again got the wheel turning. Maybe the Newton chant will start back up. He's available also. No cost either.
Last edited by CharVike on Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:02 pm
It's throwing shade at Cousins. As if quarterback is a position of need at the trade deadline.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Anyone know anything about CJ Henderson? Is he worth poaching from Carolina?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.