Lewis Cine out for season

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

me4get
Hall of Fame Candidate

Lewis Cine out for season

Post by me4get »

Viking fan since '65
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Lewis Cine out for season

Post by VikingsVictorious »

This sux giant donkey. Is Cine going to be Irv Smith Jr part deux? I sure hope not, but my brain can't help going there.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Feel bad for Cine. He is a guy who I found easy to root for with his positive attitude and willingness to pay his dues. He didn't join the team expecting anything but a chance to compete.

Hope he heals quickly and recovers fully.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:15 am This sux giant donkey. Is Cine going to be Irv Smith Jr part deux? I sure hope not, but my brain can't help going there.
I mean it was a broken ankle due to a weird landing. This can literally happen to anyone. I dont think this relates to Irv whatsoever right now.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

My understanding of Cine's injury is that it is a compound fracture that required two surgeries. I really hope he can make a full recovery. What a terrible way to end your rookie year.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:15 am This sux giant donkey. Is Cine going to be Irv Smith Jr part deux? I sure hope not, but my brain can't help going there.
Have some optimism. Why not Chad Greenway part deux? Hurt as a rookie, rebounds to have a great career with the Vikings.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:42 am My understanding of Cine's injury is that it is a compound fracture that required two surgeries. I really hope he can make a full recovery. What a terrible way to end your rookie year.
It’s also a similar injury to the one Alex Smith had.

One strange and unfortunate thing … O’Connell was an assistant coach with Washington when Smith suffered his broken leg.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:11 am
I mean it was a broken ankle due to a weird landing. This can literally happen to anyone. I dont think this relates to Irv whatsoever right now.
How it relates to Irv is that his season has been wiped out early regardless of it could have happened to anyone. I'm hearing rumors that this injury could be career ending. Is Irv susceptible to injuries that could only happen to him?
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:05 am

How it relates to Irv is that his season has been wiped out early regardless of it could have happened to anyone. I'm hearing rumors that this injury could be career ending. Is Irv susceptible to injuries that could only happen to him?
I was watching the game the time Joe Theisman snapped his leg like Cine did. Watched the game where Tatum hit Daryle Stingley and paralyzed him as well. Was watching the game when Tarkenton broke his leg and called for the trainers to come help him. Saw the game where TK got KO’d and convulsed on the field. Those are the ones I can recall off the top of my head. Football can produce some terrible injuries and the players in those incidents had nothing to do with physical conditioning or being injury prone.

My favorite summer sport is Sprint Car racing and that can be more dangerous than football in a lot of respects. Every few years in spite of safety advances we lose a driver or see serious injuries. Some sports carry a certain amount of risk and football is one of those sports.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I've yet to see it could be career ending. Irv has been injured multiple times. Cine is into the 4th game of this NFL career. I honestly dont see how the two are comparable but that's just me.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

StanM wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:42 am
I was watching the game the time Joe Theisman snapped his leg like Cine did. Watched the game where Tatum hit Daryle Stingley and paralyzed him as well. Was watching the game when Tarkenton broke his leg and called for the trainers to come help him. Saw the game where TK got KO’d and convulsed on the field. Those are the ones I can recall off the top of my head. Football can produce some terrible injuries and the players injuries in those incidents had nothing to do with physical conditioning or being injury prone.

My favorite summer sport is Sprint Car racing and that can be more dangerous than football in a lot of respects. Every few years in spite of safety advances we lose a driver or see serious injuries. Some sports carry a certain amount of risk and football is one of those sports.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:51 am
I've yet to see it could be career ending. Irv has been injured multiple times. Cine is into the 4th game of this NFL career. I honestly dont see how the two are comparable but that's just me.
OK I see what you mean. To me Cine is off to an ominous start to his career and the paranoia in me is going the Irv Smith direction. You are fully correct in that he hasn't had a laundry list of injuries like Irv yet. As for career ending my understanding is that athletes don't come back as good as new from this injury and there's a fine line between being an NFL star and somebody not quite good enough to make it. I'm hoping that Cine can come back as good as new.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

I was watching the game the time Joe Theisman snapped his leg like Cine did. Watched the game where Tatum hit Daryle Stingley and paralyzed him as well. Was watching the game when Tarkenton broke his leg and called for the trainers to come help him. Saw the game where TK got KO’d and convulsed on the field. Those are the ones I can recall off the top of my head. Football can produce some terrible injuries and the players in those incidents had nothing to do with physical conditioning or being injury prone.

If the Theismann injury happened now I wonder if he could have resumed his career due to modern medicine being better than what we had then. Teddy came back from a horrific injury.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Remember when E.J. Henderson broke his femur in 2009 against the Cardinals? I sure do. Gave me nightmares. See, I broke my femur playing 8th grade football. I was a receiver, and a pretty fast one. Fastest kid in my grade … or so I thought. Caught a pass in practice one day and was taking it to the house when I got caught from behind. Heard a very loud snap, and wound up on my back with my foot up under my armpit. Spent 8 weeks in the hospital and 8 more in a half body cast. Worst time of my life.

Not surprisingly, that ended my football career. My parents wouldn’t let me near a football field.

Yeah, it’s a violent sport. I can’t imagine what these guys face. The fastest, strongest gladiators on earth trying to destroy each other. A journalist friend of mine has been in the trainer’s room after NFL games. These guys can barely move, they’re so beat up. And those are the ones who DON’T end up on an injury report.

Wishing all the best for Lewis Cine.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:00 pm

Remember when E.J. Henderson broke his femur in 2009 against the Cardinals? I sure do. Gave me nightmares. See, I broke my femur playing 8th grade football. I was a receiver, and a pretty fast one. Fastest kid in my grade … or so I thought. Caught a pass in practice one day and was taking it to the house when I got caught from behind. Heard a very loud snap, and wound up on my back with my foot up under my armpit. Spent 8 weeks in the hospital and 8 more in a half body cast. Worst time of my life.

Not surprisingly, that ended my football career. My parents wouldn’t let me near a football field.

Yeah, it’s a violent sport. I can’t imagine what these guys face. The fastest, strongest gladiators on earth trying to destroy each other. A journalist friend of mine has been in the trainer’s room after NFL games. These guys can barely move, they’re so beat up. And those are the ones who DON’T end up on an injury report.

Wishing all the best for Lewis Cine.
That's rough, Kapp. I blew out my ACL and both meniscus playing the violent, grueling sport of tennis LOL. It was five years ago. I'd managed to work my way up to 4.5 level USTA, which I was proud of as I'd never played in college and some guys at that level had. I had some complications in the post-surgery recovery, so tennis is in my past now. These kinds of injuries can change a person's life forever, but there's no better reminder to not take for granted what you CAN still do.

Obviously, NFL players are the cream of the crop of humanity as far as athletic ability is concerned, but we see it all the time and not every recovery goes as well as Adrian Peterson's. I really hope Cine makes a full recovery and is able to continue his NFL career.