Andrew Booth

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Andrew Booth

Post by VikingsVictorious »

First round talent. A bit of a health risk.

ANALYST'S REPORTS

Andrew Booth Jr. came to Clemson with a 5-star recruiting status and as an academic standout. His contributions to the program met expectations. He offers an exciting blend of size, athleticism, instincts, physicality, ball skills, and competitive toughness that give him the makeup of an impact starter at the next level. He is a fiery competitor on the field that plays with an alpha mentality. When it comes to areas of growth, Booth Jr. can clean up some missed tackles and improve in zone coverage. While he’s never passive as a tackler, there are instances where he leaves his feet with too much distance between himself and the ball-carrier or isn’t under enough control to finish. In zone coverage, he can do a better job of squeezing routes and coming off his landmarks when necessary. In year one, Booth Jr. has the ability to compete for a starting role and has the makings of a high-level impact starter by year two or three. He is a versatile player that can execute in any coverage technique and has no matchup restrictions. He could even warrant some situational opportunities to play in the slot given his quickness and willingness to trigger and fit the run closer to the box.

Ideal Role: Starting outside corner

Scheme Fit: Scheme-versatile but best in man

FILM EVALUATION

Written by Joe Marino

Games watched: Ohio State (2020), Virginia (2020), Georgia Tech (2020), Miami (2020), Georgia (2021), Boston College (2021), Pittsburgh (2021), NC State (2021)

Best Game Studied: Georgia (2021)

Worst Game Studied: NC State (2021)

Man Coverage Skills: Booth Jr. is a sticky man coverage corner with loose hips, quick feet, and excellent route-anticipation skills. He does well to read route stems and stay connected as routes elongate. Booth Jr. has every necessary physical trait to be a shutdown man coverage corner in the NFL.

Zone Coverage Skills: Booth Jr. generally does well to stay leveraged in zone coverage, cue the backfield, and work into throwing lanes. With that said, he does have room to grow in terms of understanding when to come off landmarks and adjust on the fly. In 2021, the Clemson defense too often covered grass in zone and a simple understanding of where the eligible receivers are, the routes those receivers run, and eliminating threats from there would have improved the coverage spacing and Booth Jr. occasionally fell victim to that. And while Booth Jr. was victimized a few times due to coverage busts where he anticipated passing off a receiver to a different zone defender, he can do a better job of squeezing routes.

Ball Skills: Booth Jr. has made his share of highlight reel plays on the football and his time spent in college as a receiver and return man shows up. He is aggressive to break on the football and he has no issues finding or tracking the football in the air. Booth Jr. rounds out his skill set by having a knack to make game-changing plays on the football. He has that alpha mentality when the ball is in the air and is ultra-competitive at the catch point when challenged.

Tackling: Booth Jr. is an aggressive and enthusiastic tackler with dynamic click and close ability. He makes impact tackles outside his frame and there is never anything passive when it comes to playing the run or making a tackle. With that said, he isn’t immune to a missed tackle, which are almost always a result of coming in too hot or leaving his feet with too much distance between himself and the ball-carrier, leading to whiffs.

Versatility: Booth Jr. has been tasked with executing a variety of coverage techniques including man, zone, soft press, and tight press man coverage. His skill set presents zero limitations or matchup restrictions. Booth Jr. has experience on the kick-off team, punt return, and punt coverage units.

Competitive Toughness: Booth Jr. is an elite competitor. He plays an aggressive and physical brand of football that leads to him always being around the football. He battles on every rep and his motor always runs hot. You can just tell by watching him that he doesn’t want to concede an inch on the field. For as gifted of a player that Booth Jr. is, my favorite component of his game is his competitive spirit.

Functional Athleticism: Booth Jr. features an explosive athletic profile and he controls his speed well. He has the short-area quickness needed to mirror and match routes and the long speed to carry receivers down the field. His movement skills are dynamic and without limitation.

Football IQ: Booth Jr.’s football intelligence shows up when defending the run, mirroring routes in man coverage, and in his overall spatial awareness. With that said, there is room to grow in terms of processing in zone coverage and adjusting. Booth Jr. is rarely caught panicking or out of position and he has nearly a clean resume when it comes to penalties.

Run Defending: Booth Jr. is a terrific run defender that is enthusiastic about getting involved. He understands run fits and will do the dirty work in terms of aggressively and physically taking on blocks to spill runs back inside and maintain outside leverage. If there is a blunder defending the run for Booth Jr., it’s because he’s too aggressive trying to make a tackle. I love his makeup as a run defender and it could lead to him playing both outside and in the slot at the next level.

Length: Booth Jr. has good length and he knows how to make it count. He routinely finishes tackles outside his frame by extending his tackle radius due to his arm length. He also maximizes his length when making plays on the ball with precise timing and the ability to fully extend while maintaining body control.

Prospect Comparison: Jaire Alexander (2018 NFL Draft, Green Bay Packers)

SCOUT GRADES

TDN Consensus: 88.50/100 (First Round Value)

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/andrew-booth-jr

What you all think.
Demi
Commissioner

Re: Andrew Booth

Post by Demi »

Booth was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter Disease as a child, which causes pain and swelling in the area below the knee. He had tendinitis in his knee in high school and underwent surgery in January 2020 on his right patellar tendon.
From nfl.com draft profile.
Let's hope it's never a factor. But seems like something that should have been mentioned...
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Demi wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:06 pm
Booth was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter Disease as a child, which causes pain and swelling in the area below the knee. He had tendinitis in his knee in high school and underwent surgery in January 2020 on his right patellar tendon.
From nfl.com draft profile.
Let's hope it's never a factor. But seems like something that should have been mentioned...
Agreed. He played with it through HS and College. Hopefully he will have no issues in the Pros. He would not have been available at 42 without the med condition. Vikings needed to do due diligence regarding this and I have to trust their judgment.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I think this was a good pick. He was primarily a man to man cover guy which is a good thing.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Just read up on the disease and the surgery should eliminate any problems.
Booth has the skill set to start day 1 opposite PP. Looks to be an elite starter in a couple years if not sooner. Love this pick
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

IIsweet wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:03 am Just read up on the disease and the surgery should eliminate any problems.
Booth has the skill set to start day 1 opposite PP. Looks to be an elite starter in a couple years if not sooner. Love this pick
Thanks for the encouraging report.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Potentially the best pick of the draft for the Vikings.

Talent-wise, Booth is in the Stingley category, and he’s got prototypical length and strength for a corner. I’m really impressed watching his highlight videos. He’s physical, and he’s a magnet. The injuries are a concern, but if he can overcome those, this could be a huge get for the Vikings at 42.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:33 am Potentially the best pick of the draft for the Vikings.

Talent-wise, Booth is in the Stingley category, and he’s got prototypical length and strength for a corner. I’m really impressed watching his highlight videos. He’s physical, and he’s a magnet. The injuries are a concern, but if he can overcome those, this could be a huge get for the Vikings at 42.
Agreed. Hands down my favorite pick. I was pumping up taking him over McDuffie before the draft. Wasnt a fan of some of Kwesi's trades but I will say this was an excellent trade up.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:33 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:33 am Potentially the best pick of the draft for the Vikings.

Agreed. Hands down my favorite pick. I was pumping up taking him over McDuffie before the draft. Wasnt a fan of some of Kwesi's trades but I will say this was an excellent trade up.
Despite me not being a fan of the Detroit trade the draft capitol to get Cine and Booth was almost 100% from that trade with some bonus.
From Detroit. Pick 32 directly used to acquire Cine
From Detroit: Pick 34 used to acquire 53 and 59
Booth and pick 122 acquired using picks 53 and 77. 77 was our own entering the draft, but we got 66 in the Detroit trade more than compensating for that. We did have to give our #46 but we still had 59 and 122 left over when all the dust settled. So I think it's fair to say that pick 12 got us both Cine and Booth.
In the end IMO the compensation was worth the trade.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:10 pm

Despite me not being a fan of the Detroit trade the draft capitol to get Cine and Booth was almost 100% from that trade with some bonus.
From Detroit. Pick 32 directly used to acquire Cine
From Detroit: Pick 34 used to acquire 53 and 59
Booth and pick 122 acquired using picks 53 and 77. 77 was our own entering the draft, but we got 66 in the Detroit trade more than compensating for that. We did have to give our #46 but we still had 59 and 122 left over when all the dust settled. So I think it's fair to say that pick 12 got us both Cine and Booth.
In the end IMO the compensation was worth the trade.
Agreed.

Here's the other thing. When all was said and done, the Vikings ended up with 3 more picks between rounds 1 and 5 than they started with. In a draft that's deep but not top-heavy, that's actually a pretty sound draft strategy. A lot of people see it as "same as Spielman," but I see it as different due to the makeup of the players in this draft.

Now ... will all these picks pan out? Only time will tell. But I like Cine, and I love Booth. Both are potentially Day 1 starters. Also, I have to believe that Ingram was drafted to start right away. You don't draft a guy in the second round for depth.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Definitely on board with you, I had Booth as my #3 cb, glad he was our second pick :govikes:
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

allday1991 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:53 pm

Definitely on board with you, I had Booth as my #3 cb, glad he was our second pick :govikes:
3rd best CB and we got him at 42? I'm good with that.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

If Booth stays healthy and develops the mental aspects of his game I think he can be very good. He has an attacking mentality and should be very effective in run support. I am a little worried that he lacks the top end speed to be on an island outside against faster receivers, but he seems to have good speed when the ball is in the air and the thing I do like about him from the highlights I've seen is that he does locate the ball and makes plays on it. Seems like some DBs are better at tracking the receiver than the ball, so having the skill to do both is a real asset.

I'm more reserved on Booth overall, but after watching more of his film and reading more about him, I'm more optimistic he can get on the field quickly and contribute.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Article regarding health of Andrew Booth

Minnesota Vikings 'feel good' about health of draft pick Andrew Booth from Clemson
Todd Shanesy
Greenville News

Andrew Booth Jr. slipped and the Minnesota Vikings pounced.

Booth, Clemson's All-ACC cornerback, was widely considered a first-round NFL Draft talent but not picked on Thursday's opening night, seemingly because of injury concerns. He's had two hernia surgeries in the past year, one last month, and didn't participate in the NFL Combine or Clemson's Pro Day.

But after two other cornerbacks were taken in the first seven picks of the second round, six total off the board, Minnesota traded up Friday night to get Booth with the 10th selection, No. 42 overall.

"I knew that the medical thing might play a role in how long I'd stay on the board," Booth said. "But it was all good. Very happy to be here and very happy my dreams came true."

Vikings general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah said they did extensive research about Booth's health and were not concerned.

"He was too good of a possibility to pass up," Adofo-Mensah said. "We talked to the surgeon, all the people who were in his surgery and his rehab. We feel good about the situation."

With cornerbacks Roger McCreary from Auburn going 35th to the Tennessee Titans and Kyler Gordon from Washington going 39th to the Chicago Bears, the Vikings made their move. They gave 53, 77 and 192 to the Indianapolis Colts for 42 and 122.

Booth was projected in most mock drafts as the third- or fourth-best cornerback in the draft. He was behind Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner of Cincinnati, Derek Stingley Jr. of LSU and on some lists Trent McDuffie of Washington. They all went in the first round, Stingley third to the Seattle Seahawks, Gardner fourth to the New York Giants and McDuffie at 21 to the Kansas City Chiefs. Another cornerback, Kaiir Elam of Florida, went two picks later to the Buffalo Bills.

It's a deep draft for corners, as many as 30 projected to be picked in the seven-round event, so Booth wasn't too disappointed in going early in the second.

"I'm super-excited, man," he said. "This is a lifetime dream coming true. I don't have too many words. I'm just ready to play the game that I love again and play at the highest level with great health. I feel the best I've felt in a long time, so I'm just ready to put the pads on and get to it."

Booth in three seasons had five interceptions, 10 pass breakups and a fumble return for a touchdown. He became Clemson's third defensive back drafted by Minnesota since 2016, when the Vikings got Mackensie Alexander in the second round and Jayron Kearse in the seventh.

"They are getting, first of all a great person with a great spirit to him," Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said. "From a football standpoint, they're getting a rare corner. Long, explosive, fast, physical tackler. Great ball skills. Very instinctive guy and, I think, a guy that helps the team right away."

Booth said he believes he can be a starter as a rookie. He will likely have to beat out third-year player Cameron Dantzler, a third-round player from Mississippi State.

"I just feel like I'm that guy," Booth said. "A lot of people have their own perspective on it or whatever. ... I'm going to have to come in, work hard and earn that starting spot."

Todd Shanesy covers Clemson athletics for the USA Today network.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:25 pm Article regarding health of Andrew Booth

Minnesota Vikings 'feel good' about health of draft pick Andrew Booth from Clemson
Todd Shanesy
Greenville News

Andrew Booth Jr. slipped and the Minnesota Vikings pounced.

Booth, Clemson's All-ACC cornerback, was widely considered a first-round NFL Draft talent but not picked on Thursday's opening night, seemingly because of injury concerns. He's had two hernia surgeries in the past year, one last month, and didn't participate in the NFL Combine or Clemson's Pro Day.

But after two other cornerbacks were taken in the first seven picks of the second round, six total off the board, Minnesota traded up Friday night to get Booth with the 10th selection, No. 42 overall.

"I knew that the medical thing might play a role in how long I'd stay on the board," Booth said. "But it was all good. Very happy to be here and very happy my dreams came true."

Vikings general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah said they did extensive research about Booth's health and were not concerned.

"He was too good of a possibility to pass up," Adofo-Mensah said. "We talked to the surgeon, all the people who were in his surgery and his rehab. We feel good about the situation."

With cornerbacks Roger McCreary from Auburn going 35th to the Tennessee Titans and Kyler Gordon from Washington going 39th to the Chicago Bears, the Vikings made their move. They gave 53, 77 and 192 to the Indianapolis Colts for 42 and 122.

Booth was projected in most mock drafts as the third- or fourth-best cornerback in the draft. He was behind Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner of Cincinnati, Derek Stingley Jr. of LSU and on some lists Trent McDuffie of Washington. They all went in the first round, Stingley third to the Seattle Seahawks, Gardner fourth to the New York Giants and McDuffie at 21 to the Kansas City Chiefs. Another cornerback, Kaiir Elam of Florida, went two picks later to the Buffalo Bills.

It's a deep draft for corners, as many as 30 projected to be picked in the seven-round event, so Booth wasn't too disappointed in going early in the second.

"I'm super-excited, man," he said. "This is a lifetime dream coming true. I don't have too many words. I'm just ready to play the game that I love again and play at the highest level with great health. I feel the best I've felt in a long time, so I'm just ready to put the pads on and get to it."

Booth in three seasons had five interceptions, 10 pass breakups and a fumble return for a touchdown. He became Clemson's third defensive back drafted by Minnesota since 2016, when the Vikings got Mackensie Alexander in the second round and Jayron Kearse in the seventh.

"They are getting, first of all a great person with a great spirit to him," Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said. "From a football standpoint, they're getting a rare corner. Long, explosive, fast, physical tackler. Great ball skills. Very instinctive guy and, I think, a guy that helps the team right away."

Booth said he believes he can be a starter as a rookie. He will likely have to beat out third-year player Cameron Dantzler, a third-round player from Mississippi State.

"I just feel like I'm that guy," Booth said. "A lot of people have their own perspective on it or whatever. ... I'm going to have to come in, work hard and earn that starting spot."

Todd Shanesy covers Clemson athletics for the USA Today network.
This guy might want to get his facts straight lol. Stingley went to Houston not Seattle and Sauce went to the Jets not the Giants :lol:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri