Coaching search 2022 - Confirmed Interviews and Speculation

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

TSonn
Career Elite Player

Re: Coaching search 2022 - Confirmed Interviews and Speculation

Post by TSonn »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:34 pm
40for60 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:11 pm
I listened to it as well. It is difficult not to be pumped up for a Harbaugh hire.

They didn’t ask him, but he only talked about Cousins. So I assume if Harbaugh is hired Kirk is the QB for at least one year.
Yeah, hard to say. But that’s just what Boone thinks.

I’m of the belief that the most important topic of Harbaugh’s interview is going to be what they do about Cousins. I have to admit, as much as I’m tired of Cousins, I’d be interested to see what Harbaugh could do with him. He’s gotten more out of less. But he also developed Colin Kaepernick, and if you can develop that guy, you can develop just about anybody. Maybe the Vikings should shift their focus to a young QB.

Wednesday is going to be an interesting day, for sure.
Cousins + Mond is somewhat similar to Smith + Kaep. Known conservative QB whose stats look great vs young guy with tons of arm and leg potential. I'd love to see what Harbaugh does with these guys. Or do we make your proposed trade and have Mayfield + Mond? I'm sure Harbaugh would be excited to work with any of these guys at QB.
40for60
Starter

Post by 40for60 »

Mike Florio of PFT was just on KFAN radio. He said Harbaugh is KAM's guy and the only potential drawback is ownership and/or other front office personnel reservations about Harbaugh's issues with the front office when he was in San Francisco.

Florio was unwavering in his support of a Harbaugh hire. He said it is a no-brainer to hire an experienced HC who wins wherever he goes versus a coordinator where you don't know what you are going to get. His message to the Wilfs and the front office was that KAM has a vision for this team, Harbaugh is his guy, and don't worry about making your life comfortable and get out of his way.

He was pretty fired up about it. He even said that if Harbaugh gets hired maybe he can use his influence to get the team to go back to the Viking uniforms of the 70s-80s which Florio likes much better than the current uniforms! :appl: He was probably sort of joking about this but I like the idea.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

40for60 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:45 am Mike Florio of PFT was just on KFAN radio. He said Harbaugh is KAM's guy and the only potential drawback is ownership and/or other front office personnel reservations about Harbaugh's issues with the front office when he was in San Francisco.

Florio was unwavering in his support of a Harbaugh hire. He said it is a no-brainer to hire an experienced HC who wins wherever he goes versus a coordinator where you don't know what you are going to get. His message to the Wilfs and the front office was that KAM has a vision for this team, Harbaugh is his guy, and don't worry about making your life comfortable and get out of his way.

He was pretty fired up about it. He even said that if Harbaugh gets hired he can use his influence to get the team to go back to the Viking uniforms of the 70s-80s which he likes much better than the current uniforms! :appl:
Especially since KAM worked with Harbaugh in his final two years in SF. The bad years! That says a lot about KAM and what he thinks Harbaugh could do with our team.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

TSonn wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:10 am
40for60 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:45 am Mike Florio of PFT was just on KFAN radio. He said Harbaugh is KAM's guy and the only potential drawback is ownership and/or other front office personnel reservations about Harbaugh's issues with the front office when he was in San Francisco.

He was pretty fired up about it. He even said that if Harbaugh gets hired he can use his influence to get the team to go back to the Viking uniforms of the 70s-80s which he likes much better than the current uniforms! :appl:
Especially since KAM worked with Harbaugh in his final two years in SF. The bad years! That says a lot about KAM and what he thinks Harbaugh could do with our team.
Exactly. KAM being willing to hire Harbaugh, check that, WANTING to hire Harbaugh means a guy very close to the situation in SF knew the issues were actually the GM and ownership, not Harbaugh. Something most people already believed, but this interest confirms.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I'm legit checking my phone every 5 minutes waiting to see his hire across my screen. He's been there for 3 hours now and it seems like an eternity lol. LOCK HIM UP!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:07 pm I'm legit checking my phone every 5 minutes waiting to see his hire across my screen. He's been there for 3 hours now and it seems like an eternity lol. LOCK HIM UP!
Sounds good to me. The latest I'm reading is Harbaugh wants the job, Kwesi wants Harbaugh, and the only chance this doesn't happen is if other staff talks the Wilfs out of signing him.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Harbaugh is a Michigan man. Tom Brady is a Michigan man. Tom Brady just retired from the Buccaneers. Coincidence?
40for60
Starter

Post by 40for60 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:07 pm I'm legit checking my phone every 5 minutes waiting to see his hire across my screen. He's been there for 3 hours now and it seems like an eternity lol. LOCK HIM UP!
They reportedly interviewed Graham for 9 hours yesterday. I would be more worried if they were done already, unless they announced they hired him of course. But my guess is that sometime this evening will be the earliest we hear anything.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

TSonn wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:01 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:34 pm
Yeah, hard to say. But that’s just what Boone thinks.

I’m of the belief that the most important topic of Harbaugh’s interview is going to be what they do about Cousins. I have to admit, as much as I’m tired of Cousins, I’d be interested to see what Harbaugh could do with him. He’s gotten more out of less. But he also developed Colin Kaepernick, and if you can develop that guy, you can develop just about anybody. Maybe the Vikings should shift their focus to a young QB.

Wednesday is going to be an interesting day, for sure.
Cousins + Mond is somewhat similar to Smith + Kaep. Known conservative QB whose stats look great vs young guy with tons of arm and leg potential. I'd love to see what Harbaugh does with these guys. Or do we make your proposed trade and have Mayfield + Mond? I'm sure Harbaugh would be excited to work with any of these guys at QB.
Here’s kind of a summary of the highlights of what Alex Boone had to say about Harbaugh. An important part of this I how he treats the QB position.

1. He’s a player’s coach. He’s got that rare ability to be one of the guys, yet clearly still in charge.
2. He will often say wacky things in press conferences to draw the ire of the media off his players and onto himself.
3. He is the ultimate team builder. He does activities that bring the whole team together, not just allowing them to collect into their position groups. At team functions outside of football, he wants your whole family there — wife, kids, parents, whoever.
4. His training camps are so hard that guys are too tired to go out. Yet almost nobody complains because they’re so bought in to what the team is doing.
5. Kirk Cousins won’t be able to “just run the play that’s called” because Harbaugh’s system requires the QB to call the play at the line from one of up to FIVE choices. The quarterback’s ability to get the team into the right play is the key to the offense moving the ball. Boone said Harbaugh will make Cousins a leader. :shock:
6. The problems in San Francisco mostly stemmed from GM Trent Baalke, who continuously meddled with the on-field activities of the team. Harbaugh could work and collaborate with the front office, but Baalke tried to influence how Harbaugh coached the team on a day-to-day basis. Constantly on the field, constantly criticizing the way things were done in front of the players.
7. Harbaugh takes people the nobody believes in, and makes them believe in themselves.

The Vikings need to get this done.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:39 pm Harbaugh is a Michigan man. Tom Brady is a Michigan man. Tom Brady just retired from the Buccaneers. Coincidence?
Was going to mention something similar-except with Cousins. Would Harbaugh (Michigan) stay with Cousins (Michigan St.) at QB?
Just kidding but seriously though.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
40for60
Starter

Post by 40for60 »

This doesn't seem like it should block the hiring, but I did hear this both on a SKOR North podcast and on KFAN:

https://twitter.com/Johnubacon/status/1 ... wsrc%5Etfw

The tweets are from John U. Bacon, the source Kapp has mentioned before. Basically it describes how the 49ers owner has been bad-mouthing Harbaugh to any NFL owners who will listen. And also a Vikings minority owner, Jim Stapleton, who is a Michigan alum who is trying to convince the Wilfs not to hire him.

I can't imagine the Wilfs will listen to some minority owner clown influence them over what KAM has to say. But as the tweets mention it may also depend on how Harbaugh performs in the interview.

It doesn't really worry me, but ...
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

40for60 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:58 pm This doesn't seem like it should block the hiring, but I did hear this both on a SKOR North podcast and on KFAN:

.... And also a Vikings minority owner, Jim Stapleton, who is a Michigan alum who is trying to convince the Wilfs not to hire him.
I have been vocal in my support of the Vikings back to the Usenet days of this group, But I grew up in Michigan as a Wolverines fan (Bo Schembechler and all). Anthony Carter in purple helped me transition..

So, naturally, I am conflicted and part of me wants him to take a crack at that CFP Championship. That said, if he really thinks this is his last crack at NFL dreams, then I am fine with JH doing so with my adopted Vikings. Hence, I fart in the general direction of Jim Stapleton, the Michigan alum.

Skol to the Victors Valiant
Skol to the Conquering Heroes ..

...something like that
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:16 pm The Vikings need to get this done.
I certainly hope so, but in true Vikings-did-not-get-pick-in-on-time fashion, I could see us fumbling the beejeezuz out of this coaching hire and end up with some old retread that nobody wanted. Or the recently fired special teams coach from GB.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

40for60 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:58 pm This doesn't seem like it should block the hiring, but I did hear this both on a SKOR North podcast and on KFAN:

The tweets are from John U. Bacon, the source Kapp has mentioned before. Basically it describes how the 49ers owner has been bad-mouthing Harbaugh to any NFL owners who will listen. And also a Vikings minority owner, Jim Stapleton, who is a Michigan alum who is trying to convince the Wilfs not to hire him.

I can't imagine the Wilfs will listen to some minority owner clown influence them over what KAM has to say. But as the tweets mention it may also depend on how Harbaugh performs in the interview.

Thanks for this. Excellent find.

This is exactly what I’ve been talking about. A close source who names names and gives at least an equal detail of facts as he does opinion or speculation. It’s the rare example of great journalism in the Twittersphere. You don’t see this every day.

Take the time to go to the link and read all of what Bacon has to say. It’s well worth the effort.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
nyvike1960
Waterboy

Post by nyvike1960 »

Harbaugh all the way . !!!!! I hope.