Vikings vs Bears

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Vikings vs Bears

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Defense has really stepped up with big plays tonight.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikings vs Bears

Punting from the Bears 36. WTF. Either kick the FG or go for it.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

I should have known better than to praise the D. As soon as I do they take a roughing penalty and then let POS QB Fields shred them.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

D gives up the TD, but Fields throws the receiver out of bounds.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Vikings have 3 4th down stops so far tonight. When was the last time we did that?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

That last play should have not been a TD. What a load of BS. It's not a catch until he comes down with the ball is my understanding. He was in the air and when he came down the ball was obviously outside of the end zone.
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Ugly game. I thought we were dysfunctional at times. Chicago puts a whole new meaning behind that
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Wonnum had a great game. Hopefully he keeps improving.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I love watching the Vikings. It's why I want them to make the playoffs. More games to watch. But this game was borderline unwatchable, especially in the second half.

You've got a Bears defense with 3 defensive backs who have ZERO snaps ... and we throw for 87 yards. I honestly have no idea what this team was doing. Where is the creativity we saw against the Chargers and Packers? Where are the motions, the jet sweep actions, the play-action passes? Why have we gone back to this offensive philosophy that doesn't take advantage of our strengths?

Props to the defense for hanging in there as the offense floundered. But honest to god, if the Bears weren't so inept, we might have gotten blown out. They had something like 5 trips inside the red zone that resulted in 0 points.

I'm also ready to throw something at the TV listening to the idiot Scott Van Pelt. He says Matt Nagy has a right to be angry at some of the calls against the Bears. All I can say is BULLSH!T. The Bears were stupid and undisciplined, and Matt Nagy was among the most undisciplined of all. And for the record, the personal foul called against James Lynch was total crap. He couldn't see that Fields' knee was down, and the refs didn't blow the whistle. The non-call against JJ that led to Kirk's interception was so obvious, so blatant that a blind monkey could have seen it. And yeah, Kendricks should have gotten a personal foul. But an ejection? He tried to pull up and miss him. Finally, the fact that Zimmer had to challenge to get the fumble recover on the strip by Sheldon Richardson was complete crap. You have two referees right there, and the replay showed just how obvious it was.

Anyway, I'm done ranting. What an awful game. I'm glad we won, but things have GOT to improve offensively. That's three terrible halves in a row since the domination against the Steelers. Get your crap together, Kubiak!!!!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:44 pm I love watching the Vikings. It's why I want them to make the playoffs. More games to watch. But this game was borderline unwatchable, especially in the second half.

You've got a Bears defense with 3 defensive backs who have ZERO snaps ... and we throw for 87 yards. I honestly have no idea what this team was doing. Where is the creativity we saw against the Chargers and Packers? Where are the motions, the jet sweep actions, the play-action passes? Why have we gone back to this offensive philosophy that doesn't take advantage of our strengths?

Props to the defense for hanging in there as the offense floundered. But honest to god, if the Bears weren't so inept, we might have gotten blown out. They had something like 5 trips inside the red zone that resulted in 0 points.

I'm also ready to throw something at the TV listening to the idiot Scott Van Pelt. He says Matt Nagy has a right to be angry at some of the calls against the Bears. All I can say is BULLSH!T. The Bears were stupid and undisciplined, and Matt Nagy was among the most undisciplined of all. And for the record, the personal foul called against James Lynch was total crap. He couldn't see that Fields' knee was down, and the refs didn't blow the whistle. The non-call against JJ that led to Kirk's interception was so obvious, so blatant that a blind monkey could have seen it. And yeah, Kendricks should have gotten a personal foul. But an ejection? He tried to pull up and miss him. Finally, the fact that Zimmer had to challenge to get the fumble recover on the strip by Sheldon Richardson was complete crap. You have two referees right there, and the replay showed just how obvious it was.

Anyway, I'm done ranting. What an awful game. I'm glad we won, but things have GOT to improve offensively. That's three terrible halves in a row since the domination against the Steelers. Get your crap together, Kubiak!!!!
Yeah I literally don’t get why they don’t run play actions boots anymore. Stefanski ran them all the time. Kirk is lights out on them
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
me4get
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by me4get »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:24 pm That last play should have not been a TD. What a load of BS. It's not a catch until he comes down with the ball is my understanding. He was in the air and when he came down the ball was obviously outside of the end zone.
way I read the rule is only if carried out of bounds it would be a td, otherwise he must come down with the ball in the end zone, but nowhere is it explained if forward progress is counted. all it says is must have two feet down in to be a catch
Viking fan since '65
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Not sure how the Vikings won that game. I guess they must have been excellent at converting their limited, penalty-assisted drives into touchdowns because if the Bears weren't shooting themselves in the foot with dumb defensive penalties the Vikings offense sure wasn't moving the ball on its own. Flip situation for the Bears offense as they simply couldn't get it done when it mattered and committed way too many mistakes. The Vikings defense deserves some credit for causing those problems, but man, the Vikings offense was just dominated most of that game.

The Vikings offensive line was very poor tonight. Mason Cole might as well not have been out there most of the game the way Hicks just walked around, over and through him all game. Darrisaw wasn't much better on the outside. Bradbury and O'Neill seemed to have better games. I didn't notice anything egregiously bad from either of them. Cleveland either had a great game or a less crappy game than Cole and Darrisaw because I didn't notice him one way or the other.

Either way, Cook had nowhere to run and Cousins was sacked four times and hit several times more. The Bears defensive line just owned and abused the Vikings all game. Somehow Cousins made it count when he had to on the limited trips the Vikings had into the red zone, but what an awful performance from the offense. The Bears came out chippy and motivated and the supposedly playoff competitive Vikings did not match that in any way despite lots of rest between games.

The Vikings are still the same team as they have been all season. Sure, great to get the win, but for a team that needs to start playing well this game can only be viewed as a major setback. The Rams and their very effective and physical defensive line are up next. If the Vikings offensive line can't step up and hold their own, I don't see how the Vikings make the playoffs this year. Maybe Cole isn't the best option at right guard. If Udoh isn't better there, maybe give Wyatt Davis a shot at it. I fail to see how anyone could be worse than Cole was tonight.

On the bright side, Joseph made his kicks and the Vikings created a turnover off special teams. Take away the partially blocked punt and the special teams had a decent night.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

Probably was an ugly game to watch on TV but it was fun to see it live. I thought that Erik Kendricks hit was bs. It was really fast seeing it live but It looked like Fields slid into is helmet.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:44 pm I love watching the Vikings. It's why I want them to make the playoffs. More games to watch. But this game was borderline unwatchable, especially in the second half.

Agreed with everything you said here Kapp.
Especially the BS call on Lynch and the lousy targeting aspect and ejection of Kendricks. I may be a Buckeye but the WAY Fields runs the ball pisses me off in different ways. First he gives himself up so easily. He never really seems to try and get all the yardage possible, as soon as he is remotely close to a defender down he goes. Second , the way he does slide, and it was pointed out last night. He starts his slide and then seems to actually raise his upper up to get his head higher. Man that's just presenting the opportunity to take a crack in the head. How many times have alot of us here see a QB slide and then lower his upper body down to the turf allowing an oncoming defender to then pull up and go over the top of him, thus protecting both of them.
But what really sticks in my craw, and I dont know if anyone here has picked up on it, but watch how as he is running in full stride, he will then kinda suddenly slow up just a bit and sorta lean his upper body back , and almost raise 1 foot up in front of him a little bit, and then take off at full speed. It's real confusing to a defender because it gives the illusion that he is starting to give up and start his slide just for a millisecond, just enough for a defender to pull up and break his concentration to make the tackle.
Maybe no one else will see it, but I just noticed it quite a few of those runs last night. I remember one especially cuz Harry was just starting to commit to laying the wood , and when Fields did it Harry pulled up enough that Fields was able to extend the run farther just by that little illusion of starting the process to slide.
Ugly win, yes. But still a win and I still love watching my Vikes. Especially prime time games.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Was a fun game to watch defensively but embarrassing game on offense for both teams. .

Random thoughts:

Officiating was poor for both teams. Lots of missed calls.
Akiem Hicks is a Vikings killer. Cook will have nightmares tonight. Vikings should sign him just to get him off of the Bears team.
Horrendous QB play for both teams
That INT by Cousins was a total head scratcher. I mean ??? He threw the ball after JJ fell down (and it looked like incidental contact to me). Float one right to a defender? That's two really bad games in a row by Cousins.
Fields looked lost.
Great redzone D. with help from Chicago
Felt like every punt was going to get blocked.
Kendricks with a bone head play
Cousins struggled all game but that pass to JJ was a beauty.
Thought the last play wasn't a TD since he was bobbling it.
Didn't think the hit on Conklin was a penalty. Same with Lynch
Vikings lucky Fields is so bad. Any average QB would have won that game for Chicago

This was the most satisfying win (for me) in two years. Sad that it came against a team that could barely suit up. Just feels good to beat Chicago.

The last two wins were more because the other team sucked, not because the Vikings played well. While these wins would be helpful during a playoff season, they're not going anywhere this year so it really hurts the team in the long run. Vikings could be 5-9 right now, Instead they will finish 8-9, miss the playoffs, and probably pick in the mid to late teens again. That's what a .500 QB gets you. Good enough to win a few games but not good enough to take you anywhere.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014