Pick 14

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Pick 14

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Hey! I was just wondering of any dream scenarios for the 14th pick. I think the Vikings will have offers from other teams in the 20s to move up to 14.
If they could move back and maybe pick up a 2nd that would be ideal for me. Draft Creed Humphrey or Kwity Paye for me!
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Pick 14

Post by VikingLord »

Norv Zimmer wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:22 pm Hey! I was just wondering of any dream scenarios for the 14th pick. I think the Vikings will have offers from other teams in the 20s to move up to 14.
If they could move back and maybe pick up a 2nd that would be ideal for me. Draft Creed Humphrey or Kwity Paye for me!
Is it bad to dream about Spielman moving up to draft Kyle Pitts, the TE out of Florida?

I know that isn't going to be popular what with all the needs along the offensive and defensive lines, but the more I learn about Pitts and the more I watch his highlights, this guy is going to be an absolutely dominant player in the pros and present a total mismatch for almost every defensive coordinator out there. You really can't cover him with a LB, or at least not a LB you'd normally have out on the field. He's just too fast and runs routes too well. You can't put a DB on him. He's too big and strong. And this is a player you can move anywhere. You can line him up with his hand on the ground, you can line him up wide, or heck, you can put him in the backfield.

Because he is such a matchup problem for a defense he throws off what the defense might otherwise be able to do. For example, if a DC wants to send extra rushers after Cousins because the Vikings OL isn't good enough to block that, with Pitts on the field that DC might have to think twice about doing that because he likely can't cover Pitts to begin with. If he dedicates extra help to cover Pitts on that play, then you've got a weakness somewhere else that someone like JJ or Thielen or Cook can expose. In short, you can't just go after the QB because you can't take away the threat of the huge play on a quick safety valve to a player who can turn it into a big play.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:52 pm
Norv Zimmer wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:22 pm Hey! I was just wondering of any dream scenarios for the 14th pick. I think the Vikings will have offers from other teams in the 20s to move up to 14.
Is it bad to dream about Spielman moving up to draft Kyle Pitts, the TE out of Florida?

I know that isn't going to be popular what with all the needs along the offensive and defensive lines, but the more I learn about Pitts and the more I watch his highlights, this guy is going to be an absolutely dominant player in the pros and present a total mismatch for almost every defensive coordinator out there. You really can't cover him with a LB, or at least not a LB you'd normally have out on the field. He's just too fast and runs routes too well. You can't put a DB on him. He's too big and strong. And this is a player you can move anywhere. You can line him up with his hand on the ground, you can line him up wide, or heck, you can put him in the backfield.

Because he is such a matchup problem for a defense he throws off what the defense might otherwise be able to do. For example, if a DC wants to send extra rushers after Cousins because the Vikings OL isn't good enough to block that, with Pitts on the field that DC might have to think twice about doing that because he likely can't cover Pitts to begin with. If he dedicates extra help to cover Pitts on that play, then you've got a weakness somewhere else that someone like JJ or Thielen or Cook can expose. In short, you can't just go after the QB because you can't take away the threat of the huge play on a quick safety valve to a player who can turn it into a big play.
Consensus seems to be a top 5 pick. If so, I think it's way too much draft capital to give up for a TE. Emulating the Gronk/Hernandez peak years is intriguing but I think the Vikings have enough skill players that it isn't worth the risk. A lot of people thought the same about Hockenson or Fant.

A lot of mocks have Parsons falling past us, which I think is crazy. If he's available at 14 I would absolutely draft him. You don't pass on the best defensive player in the draft. And while it's not an immediate need, Barr is good as gone next year and Parsons/Kendricks could easily be the best duo in the NFL in a year.

We need a lot of line help but to me that's just too much BPA to pass up.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Not sure I like trading up for Pitts, but if he is there at 14 I wouldn't be upset about the Vikings taking him. He would likely be the BPA and an instant upgrade at a position where we really don't have a guy who has proven they can be even an average starter.

I don't think I would be upset with any position taken at 14 outside of guard, center or CB and I only don't want those three positions because I don't think you get enough value picking those positions that high.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

I would love Pitts

Unfortunately, given the Gladney situation, I am sure Zimmer is going to demand the BCA (best corner available) at 14
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:19 pm I would love Pitts

Unfortunately, given the Gladney situation, I am sure Zimmer is going to demand the BCA (best corner available) at 14
If CB is BPA that has to be the pick. It's no given that Dantzler will become a shut down type of CB. Yes he probably had the best year of all rookie CBs. He was highly graded against Jax but Rodgers totally abused him. I wouldn't take it as a given that he can handle the opposition No 1 guy. A player should improve from year 1 to year 2 but I seen it go the other way also. Peterson? I don't even know what to make of this signing. He certainly has struggled the last 2 years. I think there are some questions around him. Can a different scheme hide his flaws. Alexander for the slot is ok. But if a true shut down guy is there that should be the pick. Those guys are needed.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I expect defense at 14. I would like pass rusher DE or a cover guy. But I see a trade down coming. Be nice to get a QB that has some talent (Tasker). OL guy might come in handy also. They can pick BPA and it will fill a need. I wanted to do what the 49ers did.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I understand that TE is not a position one would normally trade up for, especially given it would cost them quite a bit of draft capital to do it.

But if you ignore the position and look instead at the matchup nightmare it creates for almost every defense, I think it could be worth it. Pitts is an "accelerant". He takes a good offense with multiple weapons like the Vikings already have and makes it nearly impossible to defend. If it was just Pitts or Pitts and say, JJ or Cook, it wouldn't make sense because defenses could compensate for two primary threats, but you have JJ-Cook-Thielen-Pitts, as a defensive coordinator you're forced to become a gamblin' man.

He's a scoring machine too. Get him down in the red zone and short yardage situations and you've improved your chances of punching it in or over the line-to-gain substantially.

If Pitts is somehow still on the board when, say, pick #8 rolls around, that would be where I'd try to move to get him.
Spot & Stalk Vike
Backup

Post by Spot & Stalk Vike »

Now that we're likely down a CB due to Gladney's moronic behavior I'd be ok with moving out of 14 to pick up an additional 2nd or a 3rd to make up for losing our 3rd in the Ngakuoe debacle. This would allow us to hopefully address 2 position needs.

The Pitts thing is fun to imagine and discuss but to me it's out of reality given our needs. If he fell to 14 maybe a consideration but certainly not moving up and giving up draft capital to make it happen.

Just my .02 cents worth.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I'm open to almost everyone except Phillips put of Miami. The concussion history is just too risky with him.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

S197 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:05 pm

Consensus seems to be a top 5 pick. If so, I think it's way too much draft capital to give up for a TE. Emulating the Gronk/Hernandez peak years is intriguing but I think the Vikings have enough skill players that it isn't worth the risk. A lot of people thought the same about Hockenson or Fant.

A lot of mocks have Parsons falling past us, which I think is crazy. If he's available at 14 I would absolutely draft him. You don't pass on the best defensive player in the draft. And while it's not an immediate need, Barr is good as gone next year and Parsons/Kendricks could easily be the best duo in the NFL in a year.

We need a lot of line help but to me that's just too much BPA to pass up.
Parsons is who Barr should be.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I agree on Parsons, I think he will be a generational talent. Put him with Barr and Kendricks and we have the best LB crew in the league.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:19 pm I would love Pitts

I would not mind Patrick Surtain, I think he is going to be very good
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Norv Zimmer wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:36 pm I agree on Parsons, I think he will be a generational talent. Put him with Barr and Kendricks and we have the best LB crew in the league.
I do not think Parsons will get past the Broncos
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:33 pm
Norv Zimmer wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:36 pm I agree on Parsons, I think he will be a generational talent. Put him with Barr and Kendricks and we have the best LB crew in the league.
I do not think Parsons will get past the Broncos
IDK I think RB is by far the least important position valued by teams, LB is not far behind. He could drop to 14, if we don't take him I bet the Patriots will.

As for Surtain I don't think he will be there at 14, and I don't want the Vikings to move up at all in the first round to select anyone.

I am a big fan of moving back into the 20s and picking up some good capital.