2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Re: 2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:02 pm
PacificNorseWest wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:06 pm Many have commented about Minnesota's superfluous hiring spree of coaches on defense and are perplexed given Zimmer calls the shots...I think another scenario could just be that he wants to focus on coaching the entire team and not just the defense, so by adding all this coaching depth, it allows him to be elsewhere in practice/during games. That's my hope, at least. Most of us have expressed our frustration with him being pretty much a glorified DC, but in a make or break year, maybe he's finally going to take the job as a head coach for the entire team seriously.
I only have one real problem with all this hiring.

Dom Capers’ hair. That’s a rug, right? Why does our special defensive assistant look like he’s plopped a dead muskrat on his head? Is baldness that awful?
I don't know. His hair always looked toupee-ish.
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... egUIARDPAQ
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Waynes is real solid, imo. Prince has been a disappointment from the jump and I'd rather they pay to keep Waynes.

I want them to keep Alexander as well, but considering Harris and Wayne's then you still have Hughes, and assuming Rhodes is cut, I think Alexander is out as well unless Harris signs elsewhere.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Sure sounds like Griffen is a higher priority to sign back than Harris.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:02 pm Sure sounds like Griffen is a higher priority to sign back than Harris.
If Harris leaves, it is not a big deal, Vikings have Kearse but if Kearse is gone then Vikings can draft a safety
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:10 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:02 pm Sure sounds like Griffen is a higher priority to sign back than Harris.
If Harris leaves, it is not a big deal, Vikings have Kearse but if Kearse is gone then Vikings can draft a safety
Judging by what Kearse has said he's as good as gone.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

On the multiple leaders thing, the Vikings have managed that before on offense. Think Shurmer/Sparano and Stefanski/Kubiak.

Zimmer will most likely be calling the defense so i'm not too worried about having more voices in the room on what to do.

The coaching staff this year doesn't have the significance it had last season. They will have continuity on offense with Kubiak taking on OC duties and Zimmer as the head of the defense will ensure continuity there as well. The main challenges this year are LG, Defensive Secondary, and pass rushing options to compliment Hunter all while dealing with some serious cap issues.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
A surprise: the #Vikings have franchise tagged S Anthony Harris, either keeping him in Minnesota or allowing them to trade him. Maybe the top FA safety won’t be free.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Mothman wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:56 am
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
A surprise: the #Vikings have franchise tagged S Anthony Harris, either keeping him in Minnesota or allowing them to trade him. Maybe the top FA safety won’t be free.
This is nice I think. I'm sure he would have liked a longer deal, but I'm glad we are potentially keeping him. I'm guessing they will try to negotiate a deal still, but at least this gives them a chance to gain something from it if he wants out. I think this is the perfect use of the franchise tag.
Damian
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Wow and some guys complain about our coach and GM. Imagine being a Texans fan right now and having Bill O'Brien as your HC and GM.

Houston just traded Deandre Hopkins and a 4th round pick to Arizona for David Johnson, a 2nd and a 2021 4th. So you trade, IMO, the best overall WR in the NFL for a potentially washed up RB with a monster contract and get minimal picks in return. Bill OBrien needs to go hide under a rock. I'd be losing my mind right now as a fan.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:43 pm Wow and some guys complain about our coach and GM. Imagine being a Texans fan right now and having Bill O'Brien as your HC and GM.

Houston just traded Deandre Hopkins and a 4th round pick to Arizona for David Johnson, a 2nd and a 2021 4th. So you trade, IMO, the best overall WR in the NFL for a potentially washed up RB with a monster contract and get minimal picks in return. Bill OBrien needs to go hide under a rock. I'd be losing my mind right now as a fan.
Insanity. Lucks into Watson and now he is absolutely destroying that team.

I kind of wish the Vikings had offered a 2nd and a 3rd for him. Imagine that trio of WRs?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:55 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:43 pm Wow and some guys complain about our coach and GM. Imagine being a Texans fan right now and having Bill O'Brien as your HC and GM.

Insanity. Lucks into Watson and now he is absolutely destroying that team.

I kind of wish the Vikings had offered a 2nd and a 3rd for him. Imagine that trio of WRs?
It would be a crazy idea for sure but Diggs would 100% be gone. Because I can guarantee Diggs would do nothing but complain that he wouldnt be getting the ball enough.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Man, Spielman trading away a 5th round pick for Vedvik makes me want to throw up more and more every day. Baltimore is trading 5th round picks away for pro bowlers like Campbell and Peters (who I would never want but regardless). We're trading them away for unproven, bum kickers. And then to top it off, they are trading bum TE's like Hayden Hurst away to Atlanta for a 2nd and 5th round pick!!

Like I am a big Spielman fan but does every team out there just want Baltimore to win the SB? Because they are trade raping everyone.
-Chazz Palminteri
kidfozzy.
Starter

Post by kidfozzy. »

Stefon Diggs just sent a crypted tweet guys.
Seems like he checked out of Minnesota.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Diggs just replied to someone again saying something is gonna happen. Looks like diggs is a goner. Welp, you’re a stud but don’t let the door hit you in the as#. And be careful what you wish for, because you’ll be getting shipped to someone like Miami and your career will crumble. Sad thing is, he doesn’t realize how good he has it. He wants to go to a team and be “the guy”. Well I have news for you, you need a good QB and surrounding team to be relevant. You have that now. You won’t if you get shipped to a garbage team. But you’ll get your selfish, cry baby wish.

Rant over
-Chazz Palminteri
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:36 pm Diggs just replied to someone again saying something is gonna happen. Looks like diggs is a goner. Welp, you’re a stud but don’t let the door hit you in the as#. And be careful what you wish for, because you’ll be getting shipped to someone like Miami and your career will crumble. Sad thing is, he doesn’t realize how good he has it. He wants to go to a team and be “the guy”. Well I have news for you, you need a good QB and surrounding team to be relevant. You have that now. You won’t if you get shipped to a garbage team. But you’ll get your selfish, cry baby wish.

Rant over
Perfectly said. I never thought he would turn into the distraction that he has now become. If he does go anywhere I hope it is somewhere we will find out just how good he has it, and becomes a footnote.
I wish we coulda shipped him off and got Hopkins. THAT woulda been amazing.
Never dreamed I would say it, but anymore not really bothered if Diggs goes.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!