Pre-Game Thread for a Meaningles Bears Game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Pre-Game Thread for a Meaningles Bears Game

Post by StumpHunter »

Cook, Theilen and Mattison better not play.

Will we see Mannion for an entire game? I know Cousins is very durable, but starting him seems like an unnecessary risk. Diggs should only play a half imo.

On the other side of the ball, I would like to see Sendejo, Kearse and Hill to start in the secondary. I don't care who plays the other spot.

Get Kendricks and Barr healthy. Probably sit Joseph.

I kinda hope Trubisky looks competent against us and the Bears decide to give him one more year. He sucks again Sunday and they might actually try to improve over arguably the worst starter in the NFL.

I can't remember the last time we had nothing to play for going into week 17, aside from the years we were already knocked out of them. Anyone remember the last time we did?
S197
Fenrir

Re: Pre-Game Thread for a Meaningles Bears Game

Post by S197 »

Pick up Sloter and throw him in for a game. :tongue:
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

After that debacle against the Packers I think the entire offense needs to play. That's the only way they can wash the terrible aftertaste of that drubbing out of their mouths, and further, I think they all need to see if they can truly handle a decent front 7 late in the season. If they somehow jump out to a big early lead, fine, sit them, but they have to get mentally right before the next game that counts, and I can't see them doing that by playing it even more conservatively than they did against Green Bay. Sitting the guys who need to perform is playing it scared, and playing it scared is going to get them one-and-done.

On the defensive side, Zimmer can afford to be more strategic in terms of who plays, both because the defense overall has been better lately and because the Bear offense is not something to be feared. The Bears don't have to play conservatively on offense and I don't expect them to, but Zimmer doesn't have to worry about that side of the ball as much IMHO. Besides, if the Bears go off on offense, then it doesn't much matter anyway.

I think this next game has a lot of meaning to the Vikings. They have to get right mentally and get some swagger. The Packers embarrassed them and if they suffer another loss like that, regardless of who plays or the rationale for who plays, I don't see how they can go into the playoffs expecting anything but the worst, especially on the road against a team that is likely to finish with 13 wins.

The 1987 team that I think this team most closely resembles barely squeaked into the playoffs, but when they got there they decided to let it fly and take chances and play like they had nothing to lose and as a result they smoked the two best teams in the NFC on the road back-to-back (and as a reminder, those teams were the Saints and 49ers). This team might have to pull something like that off too, and, IMHO, that sense of "nothing-to-lose" starts this Sunday. No more fear - play loose and free and take some chances. Don't just beat the Bears - try to destroy them. Try to do to them what the Packers just did to you. Try to head into that first playoff game by creating as much fear, doubt and uncertainty in your first round opponent as possible, because the Vikings sure as heck aren't going anywhere playing not to lose.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Sam Ekstrom
@SamEkstrom
·
51m
Dakota Dozier is staying late after practice to snap to Sean Mannion. Dru Samia next to him at right guard.

Could be foreshadowing for Sunday.
Zimmer = playing it safe.

I'm guessing we'll play back ups most of the game and it'll be an ugly game. Wildcard round: my gut tells me we'll get smoked by the Saints 45-17. The opposite would only slightly surprise me as it's the Vikings, after all. :lol:
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Texas Vike wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:50 pm
Sam Ekstrom
@SamEkstrom
·
51m
Dakota Dozier is staying late after practice to snap to Sean Mannion. Dru Samia next to him at right guard.

Could be foreshadowing for Sunday.

I'm guessing we'll play back ups most of the game and it'll be an ugly game. Wildcard round: my gut tells me we'll get smoked by the Saints 45-17. The opposite would only slightly surprise me as it's the Vikings, after all. :lol:
I think that is playing it safe and smart. Cousins isn't going to be a better QB against the Saints because he plays a meaningless Bears game Sunday. Same with Kline. Those guys are who they are at this point in their careers. Bradbury probably could benefit from more reps, but I am all about seeing what Samia can do in the regular season.
Svt40
Rookie

Post by Svt40 »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:42 pm Don't just beat the Bears - try to destroy them. Try to do to them what the Packers just did to you.

Zimmer will never play a game that way. He is a get a lead and sit on your hands type of coach.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

All starters should be out on both sides of the ball. Not worth anyone getting hurt for a meaningless game. Momentum starts over the first snap of the wildcard matchup. It will give starters fresh legs and minds while allowing the staff to evaluate backups against quality competition.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:06 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:50 pm

I think that is playing it safe and smart. Cousins isn't going to be a better QB against the Saints because he plays a meaningless Bears game Sunday. Same with Kline. Those guys are who they are at this point in their careers. Bradbury probably could benefit from more reps, but I am all about seeing what Samia can do in the regular season.
True, but he's not going to be a better QB because he sits and is protected, either.

The offense needs to get its mojo back if they're going to have a chance. Playing it safe doesn't move the needle in the direction it needs to go if they're going to give themselves that chance IMHO.

If they want to play it real safe against the Bears they can just forfeit the game. Same result and nobody risks injury on either side.

They should try to go out and smoke the Bears with their starters and get a big enough lead where they can sit.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:42 pm After that debacle against the Packers I think the entire offense needs to play. That's the only way they can wash the terrible aftertaste of that drubbing out of their mouths, and further, I think they all need to see if they can truly handle a decent front 7 late in the season. If they somehow jump out to a big early lead, fine, sit them, but they have to get mentally right before the next game that counts, and I can't see them doing that by playing it even more conservatively than they did against Green Bay. Sitting the guys who need to perform is playing it scared, and playing it scared is going to get them one-and-done.

On the defensive side, Zimmer can afford to be more strategic in terms of who plays, both because the defense overall has been better lately and because the Bear offense is not something to be feared. The Bears don't have to play conservatively on offense and I don't expect them to, but Zimmer doesn't have to worry about that side of the ball as much IMHO. Besides, if the Bears go off on offense, then it doesn't much matter anyway.

I think this next game has a lot of meaning to the Vikings. They have to get right mentally and get some swagger. The Packers embarrassed them and if they suffer another loss like that, regardless of who plays or the rationale for who plays, I don't see how they can go into the playoffs expecting anything but the worst, especially on the road against a team that is likely to finish with 13 wins.

The 1987 team that I think this team most closely resembles barely squeaked into the playoffs, but when they got there they decided to let it fly and take chances and play like they had nothing to lose and as a result they smoked the two best teams in the NFC on the road back-to-back (and as a reminder, those teams were the Saints and 49ers). This team might have to pull something like that off too, and, IMHO, that sense of "nothing-to-lose" starts this Sunday. No more fear - play loose and free and take some chances. Don't just beat the Bears - try to destroy them. Try to do to them what the Packers just did to you. Try to head into that first playoff game by creating as much fear, doubt and uncertainty in your first round opponent as possible, because the Vikings sure as heck aren't going anywhere playing not to lose.
IMO that 87 team had better talent. On O we don't have a guy that's close to AC. Teams were scared to death of him. Our current starting OL couldn't make that roster. That's huge. On D again the talent level isn't close. That teams talent level is what did it. They had the talent to beat the teams they played. We don't have that talent level now. Just look at Reif vs Zimmerman. Reif can't block a stud at all. It's a swinging gate. Nothing. Zimmerman could. He was a top player not some castoff bum playing a critical position.. But I do think Cousins is better than Wilson and Kramer. Talk about losers. Look no further than those two.

If I'm the HC I would rest our team this week. The Packers pounded them into the ground. They were exhausted and out of gas all around. They need rest more than anything else. Treat this as a bye week. The last thing we need is a tired beat up team hitting the road. A week off could give new life. Let's try something different. Forget this BS game. But that's only my thoughts.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

No one on current OL would start on the 87 team
Wilson and cousins are a wash
Cook is way better than Nelson
AC is better than Diggs but a healthy Thielen is probably better than Hassan Jones
Steve Jordan way better than Rudolph or Irvin

Defense there is absolutely no comparison at all
Hunter would start (imagine hunter and doleman in same line!!!) no one else on current DL would come close

LB kendricks would start that’s it. Maybe Barr??

No current CB would start. At S Smith would start but would would be the 2nd best S on team by a wide margin. Browner was a beast.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Kirk cousins and the vikings as a whole are not going to be able to match up against the best teams in the league. This is not a team worth getting invested in. They are one and done.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Y’all are forgetting something.

Every starter CAN’T sit. It takes 22 players plus 3 special teamers. Only 45 suit up, so unless Zimmer is going to activate the practice squad, some starters are going to have to play. It’s simple math, especially along the O-line.

I suspect Zimmer will play everybody who would normally be healthy enough to play. As VL says, he’s gonna want to see some competence out of the offense after Monday’s humiliating effort. We may see some key starters on the sidelines for the second half, but they all can’t sit.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:41 am Y’all are forgetting something.

Every starter CAN’T sit. It takes 22 players plus 3 special teamers. Only 45 suit up, so unless Zimmer is going to activate the practice squad, some starters are going to have to play. It’s simple math, especially along the O-line.

I suspect Zimmer will play everybody who would normally be healthy enough to play. As VL says, he’s gonna want to see some competence out of the offense after Monday’s humiliating effort. We may see some key starters on the sidelines for the second half, but they all can’t sit.
I think the starters on the line should start, unless the Vikings want to see what Samia can do. Diggs will have to play at WR unless they activate their practice squad WR who I am blanking on at the moment. Boone, Abdullah and Ham, Smith over Rudy, and Mannion.

Defensively, Wilson Brothers Smith, Rhodes/Waynes/Hughes and Hill, Kearse and Sendejo, Jaleel Hunter Weatherly Stephen

I would actually be interested in this game to see how some of the younger guys play if they went with this lineup.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:54 am I think the starters on the line should start, unless the Vikings want to see what Samia can do. Diggs will have to play at WR unless they activate their practice squad WR who I am blanking on at the moment. Boone, Abdullah and Ham, Smith over Rudy, and Mannion.

Defensively, Wilson Brothers Smith, Rhodes/Waynes/Hughes and Hill, Kearse and Sendejo, Jaleel Hunter Weatherly Stephen

I would actually be interested in this game to see how some of the younger guys play if they went with this lineup.
Looks like Boone is starting for the Vikings at RB again, so I guess there is no point to playing Cousins or any of the key players on offense if said offense requires Cook and Mattison to be effective. Might as well sit as many of them as possible, but if I were Zimmer I'd keep the starting offensive line out there, at least until Mannion has the Vikes up by 21 late in the 3rd... :ripple:
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Only a joke... But they could run the victory formation all day. Don't need a starter for that. Total offense would be -50 yards for the day. How's that for rest? Take balls to do that one. So it won't happen.