Mike Wobschall

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Mike Wobschall

Post by VikingLord »

mansquatch wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:05 pm
VikingLord wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:58 pm

Just curious, but what is "corporate censorship"?
I view it as a situation where he loses his job because of something he said on his private account. I know it happens, but I think it is travesty in the face of the first amendment. It would be one thing if he did it on the corporate account. If he does it on his own time it shouldn't matter.

I understand that this isn't how things work in this day and age. I find this fact appalling.
I assume his employment contract or situation with the Vikings was at-will, so either the Vikings or Wobschall could end it without any reason at all. The Vikings wouldn't even have to give him a reason if he asked for it unless he had a contract with them that stipulated otherwise.

The free speech guarantee in the Constitution only applies to government interference in speech. There is no protection that guarantees one's ability to be immune from private repercussions of their speech, whether that speech occurs in private or public.

Like I said earlier in this thread, if he sues I'd love to see on what grounds he's suing. Absent some contract that the Vikings clearly breached with him, he wouldn't have a leg to stand on legally.

This is another in a long line of recent lessons in the virtue of restraint IMHO.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:35 pm Yes he was fired. I havent really heard the full story on why. Sucks though, I've met him on more than one occasion and he's a wicked good dude. Super personable. Pretty ridiculous if they fired him over something so meaningless.
Where are you getting this information? Because I can't find a thing.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Fran the Man
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Fran the Man »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:43 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:35 pm Yes he was fired. I havent really heard the full story on why. Sucks though, I've met him on more than one occasion and he's a wicked good dude. Super personable. Pretty ridiculous if they fired him over something so meaningless.
I haven't heard anything either that suggests he was fired. Only that he was no longer with the Vikings, per the Vikings statement. Do you have a source for this PHP?
Don't pick a fight with an old Viking. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

My buddy sent me this screenshot on Tuesday
Attachments
7D835C63-3BC6-4CE3-99C8-9D3B8B226FFF.jpeg
7D835C63-3BC6-4CE3-99C8-9D3B8B226FFF.jpeg (68.63 KiB) Viewed 1834 times
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Fran the Man
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Fran the Man »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:26 pm
Ok, so pretty much what we've heard. No mention of being fired, as I take "Parted ways" could be construed as Wobby quitting, right?
Don't pick a fight with an old Viking. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Fran the Man wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:41 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:26 pm

Ok, so pretty much what we've heard. No mention of being fired, as I take "Parted ways" could be construed as Wobby quitting, right?
Could be, but the silence more than likely means the split wasn't amicable.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:14 am
Fran the Man wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:41 pm

Could be, but the silence more than likely means the split wasn't amicable.
I tend to agree, it didn't seem like an amicable split. It was very sudden. Wobby may very well have just quit, but generally if it's amicable, we would get some sort of public "send off". He was a pretty high profile guy, so him suddenly just being gone suggests something happened. Could have been his choice though, we don't know for sure.
Damian
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:37 pm
mansquatch wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:05 pm

I view it as a situation where he loses his job because of something he said on his private account. I know it happens, but I think it is travesty in the face of the first amendment. It would be one thing if he did it on the corporate account. If he does it on his own time it shouldn't matter.

I understand that this isn't how things work in this day and age. I find this fact appalling.
I assume his employment contract or situation with the Vikings was at-will, so either the Vikings or Wobschall could end it without any reason at all. The Vikings wouldn't even have to give him a reason if he asked for it unless he had a contract with them that stipulated otherwise.

The free speech guarantee in the Constitution only applies to government interference in speech. There is no protection that guarantees one's ability to be immune from private repercussions of their speech, whether that speech occurs in private or public.

Like I said earlier in this thread, if he sues I'd love to see on what grounds he's suing. Absent some contract that the Vikings clearly breached with him, he wouldn't have a leg to stand on legally.

This is another in a long line of recent lessons in the virtue of restraint IMHO.
Many of these types of announcements go out when people leave organizations for whatever reason, including being fired, quitting, being forced out, etc. They are always vaguely and minimally worded. I've seen plenty emails go out at my job with a similar tone. I don't think people can read too much into it. Part of termination, quitting, mutually agreeing to part ways could include a non-disclosure agreement tied to some sort of compensation or termination agreement of some sort. With many of these types of scenarios no one other than those directly involved will ever know details.

As Viking Lord mentioned, at will contracts really give employers and employees wide berth for terminating employment. Political beliefs are also not considered a "protected class" in employment law so there would be no grounds for a lawsuit unless there was something in his contract that specifically spoke to it. My guess would be that there will never be any verifiable story that comes out unless a lawsuit is filed.
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

I've seen a few different rumors in my snooping around the web.

One is regarding a racially charged tweet and a back and forth he had afterwards. The tweet is now deleted, but if he really said what I heard it was, it shows astonishing patience that he wasn't fired on the spot. It allegedly happened in October.

Another one going around is some sort of kerfuffle with Erin Andrews when she was last up in Minnesota. Not being sexual harassment related was clarified.

Yet another, is something to do with a Female employee. No details provided.