3rd Round Pick: RB Alexander Mattison

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: 3rd Round Pick: RB Alexander Mattison

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:14 am Sooo... 4.8 yards is doing alright. Lol. I don't care who agrees with me. Most people on this board prescribed to a level of group think that would make Orwell #### his pants. My point is clear. The points you want to take away from Boone for doing this against 2nd string defenders, you need to add back for him doing so with 2nd string blockers. Has it occured to you that having #### blockers and a vanilla scheme presents its own difficulties? It's not difficult to understand. He performed well because he at this point is the better player. Fin!!!!!

Last season when I said our online was terrible everyone felt that corner was more important because of the Vikes drafted a corner and group think.

(Reading can be hard and I don't mind repeating my point until you grasp it. Don't you stop working on your phonetics. You'll get it soon. I have separated it from the rest of my message to help.)

*******Again whether you like Butler or not is no concern to me. My point is and always will be that 3rd wr was a bigger need than our 2nd RB because we had talent there.*******

We have nothing at 3rd wr. I happen to like Butler and 2 months is clearly how you judge a career. Again. Laughable.
Who cares if we have a "plethora" of RBs or not, do you really think Mike Boone or Abdullah are VALID #2 RBs?? Do you trust one of those guys taking over if Cook was to go down? I dont know how you could confidently say that.

And you continue to dismiss Butler have a bad preseason but overlook a 6th round rookie drastically outperforming him and Bisi Johnson making more plays than him. But continue to say Boone outperformed Mattison. At least with Butler, Keesean Johnson was receiving the same opportunities as Butler. Going against 2nd and 3rd stringers. Bisi was doing the same.

But you're now comparing Boone to Mattison when one was playing starters and the other was playing 2nd and 3rd stringers. And like I said before, that's like saying Mannion and Sloter outperformed Cousins because they put up better numbers. Or saying Bisi Johnson outperformed Diggs. Or if you're looking at both teams saying Keesean Johnson outperformed Diggs. Of course they have better numbers, they played way more and played against weaker defenses. Like dude, you have no argument
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:04 am
YikesVikes wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:14 am Sooo... 4.8 yards is doing alright. Lol. I don't care who agrees with me. Most people on this board prescribed to a level of group think that would make Orwell #### his pants. My point is clear. The points you want to take away from Boone for doing this against 2nd string defenders, you need to add back for him doing so with 2nd string blockers. Has it occured to you that having #### blockers and a vanilla scheme presents its own difficulties? It's not difficult to understand. He performed well because he at this point is the better player. Fin!!!!!

Last season when I said our online was terrible everyone felt that corner was more important because of the Vikes drafted a corner and group think.

(Reading can be hard and I don't mind repeating my point until you grasp it. Don't you stop working on your phonetics. You'll get it soon. I have separated it from the rest of my message to help.)

*******Again whether you like Butler or not is no concern to me. My point is and always will be that 3rd wr was a bigger need than our 2nd RB because we had talent there.*******

We have nothing at 3rd wr. I happen to like Butler and 2 months is clearly how you judge a career. Again. Laughable.
Who cares if we have a "plethora" of RBs or not, do you really think Mike Boone or Abdullah are VALID #2 RBs?? Do you trust one of those guys taking over if Cook was to go down? I dont know how you could confidently say that.

And you continue to dismiss Butler have a bad preseason but overlook a 6th round rookie drastically outperforming him and Bisi Johnson making more plays than him. But continue to say Boone outperformed Mattison. At least with Butler, Keesean Johnson was receiving the same opportunities as Butler. Going against 2nd and 3rd stringers. Bisi was doing the same.

But you're now comparing Boone to Mattison when one was playing starters and the other was playing 2nd and 3rd stringers. And like I said before, that's like saying Mannion and Sloter outperformed Cousins because they put up better numbers. Or saying Bisi Johnson outperformed Diggs. Or if you're looking at both teams saying Keesean Johnson outperformed Diggs. Of course they have better numbers, they played way more and played against weaker defenses. Like dude, you have no argument
Mattison was picked because the coaches and Speilman have zero faith in Boone. They all know he sucks. Same reason Mannion was signed. They all knew Sloter sucked and couldn't take an NFL snap at this point. Butler continues to have the same problem he's always had and always will have. That's why he slipped in the draft when plenty of teams needed WRs.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

My argument is WR3 was more important to fill than RB2. Seeing that Diggs is already hurt, and we know how well he plays hurt, I don't know how this is still up for discussion? We are already facing a WR crisis. You want to focus on Hakeem Butler. I choose to focus on the position. Its an issue. We can sign a RB off the street to fill that role. I don't think Boone can carry the load by himself. I do think that Boone, Abdullah and or FB can as a trio handle it easily. I have no faith that Johnson and Beebe can handle our WR#2 role.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

YikesVikes wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:06 pm

My argument is WR3 was more important to fill than RB2. Seeing that Diggs is already hurt, and we know how well he plays hurt, I don't know how this is still up for discussion? We are already facing a WR crisis. You want to focus on Hakeem Butler. I choose to focus on the position. Its an issue. We can sign a RB off the street to fill that role. I don't think Boone can carry the load by himself. I do think that Boone, Abdullah and or FB can as a trio handle it easily. I have no faith that Johnson and Beebe can handle our WR#2 role.
Cook has missed many games and those 3 as you pointed out can handle it easily. Then why was a RB on the radar during the draft if we are already 3 deep. From what I have read we will be a 2 TE based offense. So does the 3rd WR really matter at that point? I thought Smith will be used in that role with this 2 TE base look. Has Diggs ever played all 16? Nope. Yea WR3 should have been on the board but what was available when we picked? Our team did pick some WRs later on. But in my experience a rookie WR has a harder time filling in than a RB. But you are correct we are weak at WR. But the team must have felt our 2nd rounder TE could fill that role if needed. That's not MO. But we also needed a RB because it was Cook and then ???. We also will become a run dominated team. We need RBs.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Lol Boone and Abdullah huh? And maybe a FB? Because they are relevant when it comes to a running the football. So you want Boone, a guy that we agreed couldn’t carry the load and Ameer Abdullah. A guy that had every opportunity in the world to do something in Detroit and failed. THATS who you wanna rely on? That is literally laughable. Do you not remember how bad our rushing attack was when we had McKinnon and Asiata?? It was embarrassing. It was a guy that couldn’t carry a load (McKinnon) and a converted plodder FB (Asiata). How is your description any different than that? Because we’re gonna sprinkle ameer Abdullah in the mix?

We’re moving towards being a RUN first team. If you’re doing that, why would you not look to address #2 RB before #3 WR?? Especially when you have a starter that’s failed to stay healthy? I’m literally blown away that you were ok with settling with Boone, Abduallah and a FB. I’d rather have Kirk run the ball than that be our backfield.

And I’m not focusing on Butler. Nobody would be talking about him on here if it wasn’t for you. And NOW that he did nothing in the preseason and you’ve been proved wrong time after time when you try to glorify him, you wanna stray away from the conversation. YOU brought him up and YOU wanted him over Mattison. And I have a feeling when mattison produces, you’ll be hiding in a corner off this board.

Why did the Steelers draft James Conner when they had Le’Veon Bell? Why do the browns sign Kareem Hunt when they have Chubb? Why do the eagles draft miles sanders when they have Howard and 18 other RBs? Why do the Rams draft Darrell Henderson when they have todd Gurley? Why do the Seahawks draft Rashaad penny when they have Chris Carson?

I could go on forever. Teams don’t just “sign a guy off the street” as their #2 unless they have to because of injury or something. Aldrick fricken Robinson produced for us last year after signing him during the season. You really don’t think Josh Doctson, Chad Beebe or Bisi Johnson can do what Robinson did last year plus some? I call bullshi*. No less we now have Irv Smith who will be on the field just as much as a #3 WR along with Rudy, Diggs, thielen. Sprinkle in Beebe, Doctson and Johnson whenever. Either way, that is a hell of a lot better looking than RBs of Boone, Abdullah and CJ Ham :puke:

You really think adding Butler makes our WRs THAT much better?? He doesn’t and probably would’ve been outplayed by Bisi. And we also wouldn’t have Mattison in turn. Bad, bad move there.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:11 pm

Lol Boone and Abdullah huh? And maybe a FB? Because they are relevant when it comes to a running the football. So you want Boone, a guy that we agreed couldn’t carry the load and Ameer Abdullah. A guy that had every opportunity in the world to do something in Detroit and failed. THATS who you wanna rely on? That is literally laughable. Do you not remember how bad our rushing attack was when we had McKinnon and Asiata?? It was embarrassing. It was a guy that couldn’t carry a load (McKinnon) and a converted plodder FB (Asiata). How is your description any different than that? Because we’re gonna sprinkle ameer Abdullah in the mix?

We’re moving towards being a RUN first team. If you’re doing that, why would you not look to address #2 RB before #3 WR?? Especially when you have a starter that’s failed to stay healthy? I’m literally blown away that you were ok with settling with Boone, Abduallah and a FB. I’d rather have Kirk run the ball than that be our backfield.

And I’m not focusing on Butler. Nobody would be talking about him on here if it wasn’t for you. And NOW that he did nothing in the preseason and you’ve been proved wrong time after time when you try to glorify him, you wanna stray away from the conversation. YOU brought him up and YOU wanted him over Mattison. And I have a feeling when mattison produces, you’ll be hiding in a corner off this board.

Why did the Steelers draft James Conner when they had Le’Veon Bell? Why do the browns sign Kareem Hunt when they have Chubb? Why do the eagles draft miles sanders when they have Howard and 18 other RBs? Why do the Rams draft Darrell Henderson when they have todd Gurley? Why do the Seahawks draft Rashaad penny when they have Chris Carson?

I could go on forever. Teams don’t just “sign a guy off the street” as their #2 unless they have to because of injury or something. Aldrick fricken Robinson produced for us last year after signing him during the season. You really don’t think Josh Doctson, Chad Beebe or Bisi Johnson can do what Robinson did last year plus some? I call bullshi*. No less we now have Irv Smith who will be on the field just as much as a #3 WR along with Rudy, Diggs, thielen. Sprinkle in Beebe, Doctson and Johnson whenever. Either way, that is a hell of a lot better looking than RBs of Boone, Abdullah and CJ Ham :puke:

You really think adding Butler makes our WRs THAT much better?? He doesn’t and probably would’ve been outplayed by Bisi. And we also wouldn’t have Mattison in turn. Bad, bad move there.
You explained it much better than me. This Butler guy wasn't going to make the team. He can't catch a football at an NFL level. He'll have a year to learn how to catch. If not then bye bye. My guess is bye bye. However I think Speilman did a good job picking this guy up from the Skins. He's better than Treadwell. As for RB we have nothing behind injury prone Cook. We needed a guy. People are expecting the guy we picked to be a super star. Hello he was the last pick in round 3. He wasn't a top guy like the Giants picked last year. He might be average if he develops. We did add this great WR Dillion whatever and he didn't make the team. Wasn't even claimed by another team when cut. He won't make it and it comes down to his attitude and basically zero skills for this level. We could cut Boone, Abdullah and Ham and it would matter at all. After the 1st two weeks people will see we need some CBs. I mean top flight.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Again, you are focused on Butler and not the position. I will say it slowly. I . dont . care . who . the. Wr. was. It was a more important position than back up rb because we had talent at the position. We dont have a 3rd. The same way you want to take Cook away because of injury, take Diggs away ( who is already banged up). You mentioned Jerrick and Assata struggling but you seem to forget the year that that same combo excelled in relief of Peterson. Short memory. Having Irv Smith is not having a 3rd WR. there are situation that you need a 3rd WR and a verticle TE does not fit that need.

"You really don’t think Josh Doctson, Chad Beebe or Bisi Johnson can do what Robinson did last year plus some? I call bullshi*. "

I call #### on lopsided logic. You present a scenrio like Diggs is gone but present only if both AT and Diggs are healthy. My question to you is, do you want any of those guys playing WR2. This conversation started before the signing of Doctson by the way. Feel free to add him like that was always the plan. We lucked into having him. I am happy with him as a 3rd but his signing points to the fact that we had a clear need and problem at the position. Relying on Bisi Johnson as a 2nd WR would have been a nightmare.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:43 pm

Again, you are focused on Butler and not the position. I will say it slowly. I . dont . care . who . the. Wr. was. It was a more important position than back up rb because we had talent at the position. We dont have a 3rd. The same way you want to take Cook away because of injury, take Diggs away ( who is already banged up). You mentioned Jerrick and Assata struggling but you seem to forget the year that that same combo excelled in relief of Peterson. Short memory. Having Irv Smith is not having a 3rd WR. there are situation that you need a 3rd WR and a verticle TE does not fit that need.

"You really don’t think Josh Doctson, Chad Beebe or Bisi Johnson can do what Robinson did last year plus some? I call bullshi*. "

I call #### on lopsided logic. You present a scenrio like Diggs is gone but present only if both AT and Diggs are healthy. My question to you is, do you want any of those guys playing WR2. This conversation started before the signing of Doctson by the way. Feel free to add him like that was always the plan. We lucked into having him. I am happy with him as a 3rd but his signing points to the fact that we had a clear need and problem at the position. Relying on Bisi Johnson as a 2nd WR would have been a nightmare.
Well so far Mattison has proved you wrong so you can stop your argument now. Stop complaining. We just put on a show and mattison was a part of that. Move on
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:47 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:43 pm

Well so far Mattison has proved you wrong so you can stop your argument now. Stop complaining. We just put on a show and mattison was a part of that. Move on
He did something Boone couldnt? You werent on a high school debate team right?
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:23 pm

Mattison is a tough runner and showed that today. Boone wouldn't come close to that. Mattison beat his #### out in camp easily. Did you miss that? We need backs. This is a run first run often offense.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Are you serious here? You figure you're winning an argument with "my guy could have done what your guy actually did" logic? Guess again.

Alexander Mattison took his first carry of the game and broke off a nice run, and we all thought it was still Dalvin Cook in the game. A bunch of people on the chat said it at the same time.

Give it up, man. Alexander Mattison was a GREAT find by Spielman and the staff. You've lost this argument by 100 miles.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:22 pm

Are you serious here? You figure you're winning an argument with "my guy could have done what your guy actually did" logic? Guess again.

Alexander Mattison took his first carry of the game and broke off a nice run, and we all thought it was still Dalvin Cook in the game. A bunch of people on the chat said it at the same time.

Give it up, man. Alexander Mattison was a GREAT find by Spielman and the staff. You've lost this argument by 100 miles.
Exactly Kapp. YV how can you sit there and say, Boone would have done the same?? That’s a poor poor argument. I’m gonna laugh when mattison goes over 100 and you’re gonna say “Boone could have done that too!!” :lol: I can tell you that having a “better #3” wouldn’t have done much for us today given we threw for 98 yards. We hardly needed a 3rd WR because Cook AND Mattison dominated today.

Give. It. Up.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

How though? Just because you guys were blind in the chat? Him having a solid game means that WR wasn't a bigger need. This board is funny as hell. If we had drafted Boykins and he caught 4 for 50, you guys would be arguing the opposite because hes a Vikings. Too much to expect objective thinking here.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:05 pm

Exactly Kapp. YV how can you sit there and say, Boone would have done the same?? That’s a poor poor argument. I’m gonna laugh when mattison goes over 100 and you’re gonna say “Boone could have done that too!!” :lol: I can tell you that having a “better #3” wouldn’t have done much for us today given we threw for 98 yards. We hardly needed a 3rd WR because Cook AND Mattison dominated today.

Give. It. Up.
"I can tell you that having a “better #3” wouldn’t have done much for us today given we threw for 98 yards."

That's today. What about next week and the week after that? Because Mattison performed, it doesn't mean that Cook and company, couldnt fill the same role. Because Mattison had a solid game, it proves he was the right pick for this team. LOL. Completely silly line of thinking continues. I'm done. You and the rest of the koolaid drinkers win. Can't argue simple logic with irrational people.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Good Lord this board is dysfunctional!!!!! We had a great Kubiak style win against a potential playoff team with a dominant running game and D.....And there are more posts arguing about a WR who isn’t on the team and a backup running back (who by the way put up great numbers for a backup role today!!) than in the post game thread!!

And here I am contributing to the madness :rofl: