2nd round pick- Vikings select Irv Smith- TE Alabama

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2nd round pick- Vikings select Irv Smith- TE Alabama

Post by dead_poet »

halfgiz wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:13 am Smith was the 3rd rated TE. Hock, Fant and Smith in that order.
Knocks...not a great blocker and he is only 6'2"
Just for comparison, Jordan Reed is 6'2. I don't think his height will keep him from being a good player. I prefer a smaller, faster guy that can separate vs. a tall guy that can't (Rudy).
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:37 am
halfgiz wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:13 am Smith was the 3rd rated TE. Hock, Fant and Smith in that order.
Knocks...not a great blocker and he is only 6'2"
Just for comparison, Jordan Reed is 6'2. I don't think his height will keep him from being a good player. I prefer a smaller, faster guy that can separate vs. a tall guy that can't (Rudy).

This is why I wouldn't have drafted this guy until late. Terrible combine performance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hp9r9EdTb4
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

dead_poet wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:34 am Unlike Bradberry, Smith is only 20 and playing a position where it's very hard to transition from college to the NFL. I don't expect Smith to do more than be a situational, package/down-specific TE this year. Don't hate the pick as it's good to find Rudolph's replacement this year (I doubt Kyle is on the roster next year).
I agree...Was surprised Smith was that young.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Daniel Jeremiah’s analysis
Here’s what NFL Network’s top draft analyst described Smith:

“Smith has an excellent blend of size, athleticism, ball skills and toughness. He lines up inline, as a wing or split out. He has a nice burst off the line and is a fluid route runner. He tracks the ball naturally and has reliable hands. He uses his speed to create after the catch. Smith is more than serviceable in the run game. He primarily seals and stalemates, but there are flashes of nasty finishes. Overall, Smith doesn't have the same upside as former Alabama TE O.J. Howard, but he should be a quality starting TE very early in his NFL career.”
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

fiestavike wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:56 am

This is why I wouldn't have drafted this guy until late. Terrible combine performance.
Idk, the combine seems overrated. It just seems like the results there don't often translate to results in the NFL.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:39 pm

Idk, the combine seems overrated. It just seems like the results there don't often translate to results in the NFL.
I agree the combine is a nice to have but who really cares if a guy can do some athletic skills great. IMO can you play football. Being able to do the bench press means nothing if the strength isn't utilized correctly. I was listening to Speilman and this guy is an H back / full back / slot guy. I'm not even sure if he is considered as an in line player at this point. So Rudy might be safe. Seeing his highlights he can move and run which is a good thing.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:39 pm

I'm not basing it on his numbers at the combine or his measurable, but on the fact that he can't stand on his feet and catch a football without any defenders around him. Watch the video.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Not a huge fan of this pick unless Spielman thought they couldn't afford to keep Rudolph.

To be fair, Smith was the 3rd-rated TE coming out this year on WalterFootball, and in watching his tape he seems to be able to make the contested catch and threaten the deep part of the field. But I didn't seem much of him as a blocker, and I wonder how often he's going to be asked to run deeper routes in the Vikings offense. Since he's not really that big, I also wonder if he's going to struggle in the contested catch department as a pro where he'll be facing bigger and more physical defenders.

Still, he's a young guy and has room to grow physically and in the game, plus he's got the NFL pedigree, so it's likely he'll turn into at least a solid pro.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:05 pm Not a huge fan of this pick unless Spielman thought they couldn't afford to keep Rudolph.

To be fair, Smith was the 3rd-rated TE coming out this year on WalterFootball, and in watching his tape he seems to be able to make the contested catch and threaten the deep part of the field. But I didn't seem much of him as a blocker, and I wonder how often he's going to be asked to run deeper routes in the Vikings offense. Since he's not really that big, I also wonder if he's going to struggle in the contested catch department as a pro where he'll be facing bigger and more physical defenders.

Still, he's a young guy and has room to grow physically and in the game, plus he's got the NFL pedigree, so it's likely he'll turn into at least a solid pro.
The guy has some speed and movement skills which should help me. The highlights I saw he catches the ball well also. But his lack of size right now is a bit concerning. I think they plan on using him in a non traditional way. I feel this is a good thing and will add an element that most teams don't have. Maybe we will see some new schemes.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:49 pm
VikingLord wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:05 pm Not a huge fan of this pick unless Spielman thought they couldn't afford to keep Rudolph.

The guy has some speed and movement skills which should help me. The highlights I saw he catches the ball well also. But his lack of size right now is a bit concerning. I think they plan on using him in a non traditional way. I feel this is a good thing and will add an element that most teams don't have. Maybe we will see some new schemes.
He should be very effective on crossing routes and sitting down against zones and better at running after the catch and blocking than Kyle Rudolph, so I think he'll be an upgrade overall.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:33 am
CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:49 pm
He should be very effective on crossing routes and sitting down against zones and better at running after the catch and blocking than Kyle Rudolph, so I think he'll be an upgrade overall.
He's a 2nd round pick, he better be better then Kyle. Kyle has gotten lazy the past few years. We should have went receiver here, there were so many good ones left when we got Smith, who really isnt worth a 2nd. Being the 3rd best TE isnt saying much when there aernt any real good ones left after the Iowa boys were drafted. Unless we are getting rid of Kyle this season and I dont see that happening. Kyle,Morgan,Conklin could handle whatever Kubiak has in mind.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:40 am
fiestavike wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:33 am

He's a 2nd round pick, he better be better then Kyle. Kyle has gotten lazy the past few years. We should have went receiver here, there were so many good ones left when we got Smith, who really isnt worth a 2nd. Being the 3rd best TE isnt saying much when there aernt any real good ones left after the Iowa boys were drafted. Unless we are getting rid of Kyle this season and I dont see that happening. Kyle,Morgan,Conklin could handle whatever Kubiak has in mind.
Conklin isn't going to make the team. Also, we are going to run 2 TE sets very often, rendering a 3rd WR less valuable. Having said all that, I don't love Irv Smith Jr. but looking at more of him, If they don't expect him to be an over the shoulder vertical threat (and they probably won't), he might be very effective.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:57 am
PurpleKoolaid wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:40 am

Conklin isn't going to make the team. Also, we are going to run 2 TE sets very often, rendering a 3rd WR less valuable. Having said all that, I don't love Irv Smith Jr. but looking at more of him, If they don't expect him to be an over the shoulder vertical threat (and they probably won't), he might be very effective.
Oh I think that's exactly why we drafted him. As a vertical threat. He's drawn comps to Jordan Reed this whole time. The stars align with Cousins here and Kubiak involved.

As for Conklin, the good thing with him is, we could store him on the practice squad this year (hoping he doesnt get signed) and if (and probably when) Rudy is gone next year, bring him back to the roster.

As for the 3rd WR, yeah I mentioned this before as well. Guys were begging for a 3rd WR but I'm thinking this is "technically our 3rd WR", with guys like Beebe, Treadwell and so on sprinkling in.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:21 am
fiestavike wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:57 am

Oh I think that's exactly why we drafted him. As a vertical threat. He's drawn comps to Jordan Reed this whole time. The stars align with Cousins here and Kubiak involved.

He doesn't seem to be able to track the ball well over his shoulder, but that doesn't mean he can't hit those vertical seams.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
bsandhar
Practice Squad

Post by bsandhar »

LOL. If you're drafting players based on combine performances, then guys with good football tape (btw his combine performance wasn't bad, he showed that he runs nice routes and has solid hands, which was a supposed "knock" on him) like Irv would fall, and guys like Heyward Bey, Williamson, Metcalf (who will be a bust) should go higher. I wouldn't give a flying #### about the combine, I want to see game tape and how guys perform against great competition and Irv checks off those box so I could give a damn about him running between some cones. Love the pick! Spielman has always been good at drafting talent. I just wonder if he can finally put together a decent O-Line.