Have the Vikings ever recovered from the Minneapolis Miracle?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purplepain2018
Backup

Have the Vikings ever recovered from the Minneapolis Miracle?

Post by Purplepain2018 »

In my opinion, the Vikings have still not fully recovered from what happened in the Saints playoff game last year known as the Minneapolis Miracle. The emotions and the physicality of that game I think took a toll on the psyche of this team. The Vikings defense has still not been the same since the Saints playoff game where they went into halftime leading 17-0 and then the Saints took the lead with just minutes left in the fourth quarter and with just :11 seconds on the clock Case Keenum hits Stefon Diggs with that once in a lifetime pass that emotionally the Vikings have not been able to pull themselves out of. It has shown up as our defense has not played this year the way they are capable of playing. Offensively, the Vikings have been trying to find themselves all year and hopefully after the Dolphins game that they are starting to figure out who they are.

I truly believe that the Vikings can play with the Saints, Rams, Bears, Cowboys, Seahawks and Eagles. It is one thing to think you can play with those teams and it is another to believe it. Hopefully, the Vikings are starting to believe it and it is at the exact perfect time of the year to get things turned around.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: Have the Vikings ever recovered from the Minneapolis Miracle?

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I am tired of having people put the excuse of the Miracle as the reason the reason the Vikes SUCKED in the champion ship game. I supposed that also the reason the lost all the SB's too. It was one play that professional men should have been over very quickly. :wallbang:
VikingBolt
Starter

Post by VikingBolt »

I felt it was like they were just still "high" with the feeling of the win in such a manner. Like they just kept thinking about it, never came down to earth, so they didn't put their full concentration on the next game.
Go Vikes!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

VikingBolt wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:34 pm I felt it was like they were just still "high" with the feeling of the win in such a manner. Like they just kept thinking about it, never came down to earth, so they didn't put their full concentration on the next game.
They are grown men who have been playing sports all their lives. If it effects them like you think, they should be receiving mental help or not playing sports.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:52 pm
VikingBolt wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:34 pm I felt it was like they were just still "high" with the feeling of the win in such a manner. Like they just kept thinking about it, never came down to earth, so they didn't put their full concentration on the next game.
They are grown men who have been playing sports all their lives. If it effects them like you think, they should be receiving mental help or not playing sports.
I tkink it definitely affected them in Philly... Like they had a "this is our year no matter what" thought process. They are grown men but they are human too.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I think they were "cured" after the TNF defensive meltdown vs. the Rams. Then we went on to the JDF hangover. We have two weeks to see if the Miami game was the end of that or if it was just a hiccup.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:37 pm I am tired of having people put the excuse of the Miracle as the reason the reason the Vikes SUCKED in the champion ship game. I supposed that also the reason the lost all the SB's too. It was one play that professional men should have been over very quickly. :wallbang:
Agreed to an extent. Emotional win or not, that shouldnt be a reason you play terrible the following game against a below average QB. Being in the NFC championship game and the SB being in your home stadium, should have been enough motivation to get these guys going. That was just a complete flop of a game
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:41 am
PurpleKoolaid wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:52 pm

I think it definitely affected them in Philly... Like they had a "this is our year no matter what" thought process. They are grown men but they are human too.
This is the ONLY negative effect that I could see from that game. There is definitely a thing as being over confident. I was very confident that the Vikings were going to beat Philly. I saw Foles play and he looked terrible until the week before the Vikings game. There was no way I thought he could put two games in a row up. So with the "this is our year" attitude, it was quite possible that they were too overconfident.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:57 am
PurpleKoolaid wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:37 pm I am tired of having people put the excuse of the Miracle as the reason the reason the Vikes SUCKED in the champion ship game. I supposed that also the reason the lost all the SB's too. It was one play that professional men should have been over very quickly. :wallbang:
Agreed to an extent. Emotional win or not, that shouldnt be a reason you play terrible the following game against a below average QB. Being in the NFC championship game and the SB being in your home stadium, should have been enough motivation to get these guys going. That was just a complete flop of a game
That's why I was so upset after the Philly game. The most storybook ending in the history of sports was at their fingertips,, and they came out as flat as they did.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:57 am
Small sample size but the Dolphins had their own Miami miracle vs. the Pats last week and then came out and laid a total egg against us.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

The Eagles had Zimmer's number more than anything, I thought. It almost felt like he hired DeFilippo to ask him how the hell they did it.

The NFCC was the Eagles exposing weaknesses. Case/the offensive line laying a huge egg (2 INT and 1 Fumble/Lots of pressure) and the defense getting spanked by Foles. Foles went 26/33, 352 yards, 3TD, 141.4 passer rating. The Eagles put up 110 rushing yards. Converted 10/14 3rd downs.

Even if the defense played well it's unlikely they'd overcome the 3 turnovers but it certainly didn't help that the strength of the team gave way.
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

I believe the Minneapolis Miracle had very little to nothing to do with our loss to Philadelphia in the NFCCG and absolutely nothing to do with our performance this season.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

ChicagoViking wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:06 pm I believe the Minneapolis Miracle had very little to nothing to do with our loss to Philadelphia in the NFCCG and absolutely nothing to do with our performance this season.
Totally agree.

Injuries to key players on both sides of the ball hurt the Vikings in Philly. Both Thielen and Diggs were playing hurt, and we had injuries along the O-line and in the defensive backfield. Plus, the Vikings didn't come out flat. They drove the length of the field and took the early 7-0 lead on a TD pass from Keenum to Rudolph. The three turnovers put us behind the 8-ball, and it spiraled out of control. There may have been a hangover from the Minneapolis Miracle, but I think it's more than a good Philly team outplayed us.

As for this season, I think the idea is ridiculous. These are grown men, professional football players who are 11 months removed from the Miracle. The fact that our below-average offensive line was asked to pass block 70 percent of the time likely had 100 times more effect on this team than any perceived hangover.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.