FLIP HAS BEEN FIRED!!!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

FLIP HAS BEEN FIRED!!!

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Vikings fired OC John DeFilippo.

The Vikings had big expectations on offense after signing Kirk Cousins this offseason, and they simply have not met them, especially as of late. The final straw was a disheartening loss to the Seahawks on Monday night in which Minnesota did not score until deep into garbage time. Considered an up-and-comer when the Vikings hired him, it will be interesting to see where DeFilippo lands.
Thank the lord!! Let's see what you got Stefanski!!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Eliot
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: FLIP HAS BEEN FIRED!!!

Post by Eliot »

:govikes: :wake:

Excited to see what Stefanski can do with all this talent.
Minnesota Vikings fan from Missouri!

Skol!
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

This is great news after a cruddy night. It was such the right decision to make and completely warranted. I can't believe they actually did it though. :lol:

I is reinvigorated.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Wow, I thought he'd make it until the end of the season but apparently, that sorry performance yesterday was enough.

Zimmer's rapidly moving into Lovie Smith territory with OCs. He's now moving on to his 4th in 5 years. Bad sign.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

This needed to happen, but it is also probably a signal that the season is done. Hopefully the fix their hiring process after the JDF debacle.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

As you watch the vikings struggle through this season, remember that this team would have to basically decline its invitation to the playoffs to miss the postseason
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

mansquatch wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:13 pm This needed to happen, but it is also probably a signal that the season is done. Hopefully the fix their hiring process after the JDF debacle.
Not really. We're still well into the playoff hunt and would be hard for us to miss out
-Chazz Palminteri
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

That was a failed experiment. Hope it helps recharge our O.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:10 pm Wow, I thought he'd make it until the end of the season but apparently, that sorry performance yesterday was enough.

Zimmer's rapidly moving into Lovie Smith territory with OCs. He's now moving on to his 4th in 5 years. Bad sign.
I agree but I am glad it happened. What a debacle. In fairness, we would have likely kept Shurmer had he not taken the job in New York.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Mothman wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:10 pm Wow, I thought he'd make it until the end of the season but apparently, that sorry performance yesterday was enough.

Shurmur leaving wasn't a bad stain, but I agree that Norv leaving midseason and now firing DeFelippo with 3 games remaining isn't a great look. They need to re-evaluate their vetting process for these OC's because realizing a guy isn't a great fit so long into a season isn't a great recipe for success. I am glad though that they aren't holding on to guys to avoid embarrassment. Cut your losses now instead of dragging on the inevitable.
mansquatch wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:13 pm This needed to happen, but it is also probably a signal that the season is done. Hopefully the fix their hiring process after the JDF debacle.
C'mon man...Season isn't done. It's a sign that they're still in the hunt and need to make a fix now while they still can.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I agree with Jim...I thought they would keep Flip till the end of the season.
But I guess with the offenses performance the last 3-4 games they couldn't wait any longer.
Sad Flip got fired but kind of a relief.
Last edited by halfgiz on Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tavern_Wino
Practice Squad

Post by Tavern_Wino »

Wasn't Stefnaski a serious candidate when the interviewing process began?

I don't know if I like this move right now even though it needed to be done. At least there will be some familiarity within, so hopefully this move can right the ship going forward.
Boomer Sooner
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

I think it's as good as time as any to make this move.

Stefanski has been around this team for a long time and he surely knows how Zimmer wants to play offense. Mostly though, he had a front row seat to what DeFelippo was doing and knows that it wasn't working, so will have his own ideas of how to get this going back in the right direction. This move can only help things at this current juncture of the season. If it fails, well it was going to anyway.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:38 pm I think it's as good as time as any to make this move.

Stefanski has been around this team for a long time and he surely knows how Zimmer wants to play offense. Mostly though, he had a front row seat to what DeFelippo was doing and knows that it wasn't working, so will have his own ideas of how to get this going back in the right direction. This move can only help things at this current juncture of the season. If it fails, well it was going to anyway.
Yeah, it can't get much worse than a near shutout after a frustrating series of offensive performances so they might as well make the move and see what comes of it. They may also see it as a brief trial run for Stefanski to see if they want to give him the gig next season.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

I expected a win against the next three opponents with Flip or without. Miami is a solid club, but is very beatable, the Lions suck and the Bears will be sitting their starters.

Hopefully when they are looking at whether Stefanski should keep the job or not, they look at what he does in the playoffs against better competition(I don't know how they don't make it at this point) and not just what he did against some very beatable teams. We need to get it right next year.