Thoughts on the game from someone who was there

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Thoughts on the game from someone who was there

Post by IrishViking »

After taking a night to sleep I figure I'll throw in my two cents about the game.

First the crowd noise was insane. My Girlfriend and I talked about it before the game that the cold air might amplify it but I didn't expect by that much. The fly over was utterly deafening and the crowd noise directly led to two wasted timeouts and 2 broken plays that I counted. It had a big impacted.

Second the cold showed up big time. Wilson looked awful, so did our offense, but for someone who had been as on fire as Wilson to look so bad really shows how much the weather played a part in this.

Third it was great to see Harrison, Joseph, and Barr be as involved as they were. It felt vindicating, after hearing the back and forth all week about whether or not the defensive pieces being back would actually make a difference, to see our defense come out and punch them in the throat.

Fourth, I honestly think that we ran the ball too much. I would have liked to have seen some short and intermediate passes, there was space.

Fifth, The Field goal was crushing, the entire second level thought we had made it. It was terrible. To be completely and utterly honest though, I knew it was coming. I cant explain it but I knew for a fact they were going to miss that chip shot. I just knew and it was awful :(

Sixth, I know they are not reflective of the whole but the Seahawk fans at the game were the rudest and most disrespectful people I have ever met. Beers thrown, cursing, threats. Setting aside the fact they barely won and after the game acted like they repeated December 6th, they were just terrible people.

Seventh, What. the. hell. Game. was. Pete. Calling. in the first half? I am sure that if Blair hadn't missed that kick Pete is fired. no one knew what the hell he was doing. He was calling the game like we had a terrible defense and we kept kicking him in the face. It was bizarre

Eighth, I think the game plan from Zimmer and Norv was good to great based on the weather. My one and only complaint is that I believe Zimmer got greedy at the end. I think he should have kept trusting his defense and had Teddy do a 7 step drop and take a knee considering short range shots are Blairs one weak point. I think an extra 5-10 yards and a center line up would have made the difference. Yes I know the laces and what not but I don't think that would have been an issue if they were lining up a 33 yarder as opposed to a chip shot. Instead he pushed for the first down to run out the clock. I didn't think that was the right call before or after. But I think the overall game plan was impressive and I am happy with the performance.
vikesfan87
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Thoughts on the game from someone who was there

Post by vikesfan87 »

IrishViking wrote:After taking a night to sleep I figure I'll throw in my two cents about the game.

First the crowd noise was insane. My Girlfriend and I talked about it before the game that the cold air might amplify it but I didn't expect by that much. The fly over was utterly deafening and the crowd noise directly led to two wasted timeouts and 2 broken plays that I counted. It had a big impacted.

Second the cold showed up big time. Wilson looked awful, so did our offense, but for someone who had been as on fire as Wilson to look so bad really shows how much the weather played a part in this.

Third it was great to see Harrison, Joseph, and Barr be as involved as they were. It felt vindicating, after hearing the back and forth all week about whether or not the defensive pieces being back would actually make a difference, to see our defense come out and punch them in the throat.

Fourth, I honestly think that we ran the ball too much. I would have liked to have seen some short and intermediate passes, there was space.

Fifth, The Field goal was crushing, the entire second level thought we had made it. It was terrible. To be completely and utterly honest though, I knew it was coming. I cant explain it but I knew for a fact they were going to miss that chip shot. I just knew and it was awful :(

Sixth, I know they are not reflective of the whole but the Seahawk fans at the game were the rudest and most disrespectful people I have ever met. Beers thrown, cursing, threats. Setting aside the fact they barely won and after the game acted like they repeated December 6th, they were just terrible people.

Seventh, What. the. hell. Game. was. Pete. Calling. in the first half? I am sure that if Blair hadn't missed that kick Pete is fired. no one knew what the hell he was doing. He was calling the game like we had a terrible defense and we kept kicking him in the face. It was bizarre

Eighth, I think the game plan from Zimmer and Norv was good to great based on the weather. My one and only complaint is that I believe Zimmer got greedy at the end. I think he should have kept trusting his defense and had Teddy do a 7 step drop and take a knee considering short range shots are Blairs one weak point. I think an extra 5-10 yards and a center line up would have made the difference. Yes I know the laces and what not but I don't think that would have been an issue if they were lining up a 33 yarder as opposed to a chip shot. Instead he pushed for the first down to run out the clock. I didn't think that was the right call before or after. But I think the overall game plan was impressive and I am happy with the performance.
1. The crowd noise and atmosphere overall sounded very good on the TV broadcast. The crowd did an excellent job also during the wins over the Bears and the Giants.

2. Unfortunately, it is a home-field advantage that the Vikings could not capitalize upon. The battle at the line of scrimmage (SEA DL vs. MIN OL) went disastrous for the Vikings and that was the difference.

3. Yeah, the defense played quite well, but for one drive. I hope that your point in #2 however wasn't a contributing factor to this and there was a legitimate improvement.

4. I hear ya, the short to intermediate game was working.

5. Being a Vikings fan can give you that sort of frightful premonition. I, too, was nervous because of the spot on the left hash.

6. I don't want to say that the Seattle fanbase is made up completely of bandwagon jumpers. I do recall reading that the Kingdome had a reputation as being a loud stadium, but winning that championship does add a certain element to a fanbase. The same thing happened in Canada when the Saskatchewan Roughriders won the Grey Cup in 2007. They were everybody's 2nd favorite team because they were essentially lovable losers, but are now the most hated team in the league largely on the count of the reputation of their fans.

7. His punter was hurt early in the game so that must've played a factor.

8. I also had a pit in my stomach because I knew that the Vikings couldn't run down the clock.
Lars
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Lars »

IrishViking wrote:
All three of those guys played great. In addition, Griffen & Flyod were outstanding. Kendricks was all over the field making plays. And the rookies Hunter and Waynes both made big contributions to a outstanding defensive team performance. For the most part, the entire defense was solid. (Damn that fluke play in the 4th quarter that Wilson created chasing a fumble).

Michael Bennett was unreal playing for the Seahawks... and I could see why Seattle's defense is statistically one of the three best in the league. They have to give Minnesota their due though. The Vikings -- for the first time in years -- have the makings of a truly dominating defense for years to come. I grew up as a huge fan of the Purple People Eaters. I would love to follow the defense of the 2016 Vikings (and going forward) in the same way.

Great offense puts butts in the seats. Great defense wins championships. The Vikes have the makings of a great defense.
Lars
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Lars »

IrishViking wrote:
Walsh -- for some inexplicable reason -- seems to have a mental problem with short field goals and extra points. Fans that pay attention foresaw Walsh's problems back in the preseason when he wasn't able to make extra points. The Vikings brought in competition for the job which seemed to settle him down... but apparently not so. Blair missed only one extra point in his first three years, but missed four this year alone. He also missed two from inside forty yards this season... but none from less than thirty yards until last Sunday.

It's a mystery.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Lars wrote: Walsh -- for some inexplicable reason -- seems to have a mental problem with short field goals and extra points. Fans that pay attention foresaw Walsh's problems back in the preseason when he wasn't able to make extra points. The Vikings brought in competition for the job which seemed to settle him down... but apparently not so. Blair missed only one extra point in his first three years, but missed four this year alone. He also missed two from inside forty yards this season... but none from less than thirty yards until last Sunday.

It's a mystery.

Uh... they moved the XP line back...
Lars
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Lars »

IrishViking wrote:
Uh... they moved the XP line back...
Yeah, I know... but it's just like a 32 yard field goal. How many kickers miss FOUR 32 yard field goals in a season? Not many who still have kicking jobs, I'd wager. But Walsh has an upside. The guy has a powerful leg. So if Walsh continues to kick for the Vikings, I hope he can find a good sports psychologist.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Lars wrote:Yeah, I know... but it's just like a 32 yard field goal. How many kickers miss FOUR 32 yard field goals in a season? Not many who still have kicking jobs, I'd wager. But Walsh has an upside. The guy has a powerful leg. So if Walsh continues to kick for the Vikings, I hope he can find a good sports psychologist.

I know and I agree. I think its hard to swallow but this falls into the "#### happens" category. It wasn't a mental thing, it wasn't fate. Just a few bad things that happened together caused it.
glenecho
Veteran

Post by glenecho »

I wasn't there personally, but I hate to say I knew he was going to miss that field goal as well. In fact, I turned off the TV before the kick, and just waited for the inevitable text messages to hit my phone. Wasn't suprised at all. I absolutely KNEW he'd miss...it's just a "Vikings thing". A friend I was texting with knew it was going to happen as well. My last text from him reads simply "just turn off the TV and go listen to some pretty music for awhile". Even non-Vikings fans know that...well...this is just what happens to the Vikings.

If there is anything I'd love to change about the Vikings is being so damn SURE they will always BLOW it. Find someone way to lose all the big games. And then they do it. Very seriously considering just dumping the NFL from my viewing habits...I'm not sure I can continue to do this year in and year out.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

IrishViking wrote: Eighth, I think the game plan from Zimmer and Norv was good to great based on the weather. My one and only complaint is that I believe Zimmer got greedy at the end. I think he should have kept trusting his defense and had Teddy do a 7 step drop and take a knee considering short range shots are Blairs one weak point. I think an extra 5-10 yards and a center line up would have made the difference. Yes I know the laces and what not but I don't think that would have been an issue if they were lining up a 33 yarder as opposed to a chip shot. Instead he pushed for the first down to run out the clock. I didn't think that was the right call before or after. But I think the overall game plan was impressive and I am happy with the performance.
I don't blame Zimmer for trying to get the 1st down and run out the clock, I think every head coach in the league would have done the same thing. It is a bit absurd to try and lose yards to attempt a longer field goal, even if Walsh does have an issue with shorter field goals. I think a center/right placement might have made a difference, but not making it a longer attempt.
Lars
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Lars »

IrishViking wrote:
I know and I agree. I think its hard to swallow but this falls into the "#### happens" category. It wasn't a mental thing, it wasn't fate. Just a few bad things that happened together caused it.
IMHO it is a mental thing. It certainly isn't a capability thing or a physical thing. Walsh is capable of hitting 32 yard field goals every time physically. And it's not just the pressure either -- because he has kicked winning field goals in the past from much greater range. It seems like a "distance" thing or maybe an short kick "angle" thing... at least this year. Anyway, whatever it is, I hope he gets over it.