Vikings-Cardinals final play thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Vikings-Cardinals final play thoughts

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:
Uh oh... Norv's in TRO-OO-UBLE.... :)
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

If we're going to run a play there why not just run a rollout? The routes still take time to develop but at least Teddy can toss the ball almost anywhere and not get a grounding call if he's in trouble.

Quick outs on each side is another option but that keeps Teddy in the pocket and adds more risk.

The play last night was basically rollout WR routes but kept Teddy in the pocket which was the worst parts of either of those options.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: Uh oh... Norv's in TRO-OO-UBLE.... :)
I certainly hope so but I doubt it.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: They are but why is this a limitation that should prevent them from calling a play in that situation? He's a second year pro QB! I've seen college QBs handle the same situation just fine. It's not that complicated.
I guess because Zimmer and Turner are at the top of the food chain. As I said, Bridgewater deserves blame but Zimmer and Turner called the play. They have to take some of the heat, if not the majority of it.

Actually, it's beginning to sound as if Turner called the play by himself, given what Zimmer just said about not liking the play-call.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@Andrew_Krammer Zimmer: "In retrospect, we could've probably made a different call or kicked the field goal" on final play ending in strip-sack #Vikings
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote: I guess because Zimmer and Turner are at the top of the food chain. As I said, Bridgewater deserves blame but Zimmer and Turner called the play. They have to take some of the heat, if not the majority of it.

Actually, it's beginning to sound as if Turner called the play by himself, given what Zimmer just said about not liking the play-call.
I hear you. I think there's plenty of heat to go around on that play.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

losperros wrote: I certainly hope so but I doubt it.
Well maybe this will cause some eyes to open. I still get mad when Patterson ismt on thd field. Maybe Zimmer will have a chat with Norv.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

This play sums up the season for me.

1. Norv calls an awful play the offense isn't good enough to overcome or equipped well enough to handle.
2. Kalil gets smoked badly - Poor blocking on the O-line causes chaos
3. Teddy takes the sack - holds the ball to long, etc

#3 isn't good, #1 and #2 kill any chance we have at performing consistently well and on this play all 3 flared up (which can happen on any play of any drive of any game) destroying the play and our chances.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Norv Turner’s Vikings-Cardinals Game-Ending Play Call

http://nflbreakdowns.com/norv-turner-vi ... play-call/
The play ultimately failed, but that is not on Norv Turner, who designed a clever play call, nor on Teddy Bridgewater, who had less than three seconds to pass. If you need to point fingers, you can blame Matt Kalil, but rather than pointing fingers, credit should be given to the Cardinals’ defense and particularly to Dwight Freeney, the future hall of famer whose beautiful speed rush to spin move stopped the play in under three seconds and won the game.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
VikeMike
All Pro Elite Player

Post by VikeMike »

It was a combination of two very bad things occurring: The wrong play call in the situation (slow-developing routes?) and Bridgewater not making the right decision to throw the ball away sooner. The bigger crime of the two is the play call, because it doesn't put the young QB in the best position to make a play, especially playing behind a suspect line. Saying that, Teddy has to share the blame, as does Kalil.

When they lined up on third down, I have to admit it didn't even to occur to me that you don't run a play and try to get a little closer. Ninety-nine percent of the time, any team would do that. Bad playcall. Bad execution. Bad result.

I'm of the mindset that they are headed in the right direction — and they have improved this season — but they aren't there yet.
Hopefully, they can right the ship, beat Chicago and New York and make the playoffs. 10-6 or 11-5 is something I would have taken at the start of the year. Hopefully they can take that step this year.
"Meet at the quarterback"
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Well maybe this will cause some eyes to open. I still get mad when Patterson ismt on thd field. Maybe Zimmer will have a chat with Norv.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I know Moth will agree with me on this one since he first brought it up. I'd like to see Patterson as the lone WR on some of the 2TE sets. Seems like he could add an interesting option to the sets, making them even more versatile.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: The final play never should have occurred. It had little chance of doing anything positive. KICK THE FIELD GOAL ON THIRD DOWN, and we're not having this conversation right now.
Agree 1000%.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

dead_poet wrote:Norv Turner’s Vikings-Cardinals Game-Ending Play Call

It's a good analysis (and man, did Matt Kalil get embarrassed) but I still disagree strongly with the idea of even running a play. I also contend it's more than just about the field-goal probabilities. You have to factor in the probability of whether you can even get a kick away.

The entire play is predicated on the Vikings receiver catching the ball and getting out of bounds. No other scenario works.

If the Vikings complete the pass and the receiver DOES NOT get out of bounds, the game is over UNLESS the recover gets the first down AND the Vikings can line up and spike the ball. Freeney sacked Teddy with under 10 seconds left. Let's say Teddy gets the pass away with 9-10 seconds left. At best, the Vikings have 6-8 seconds to line up and spike it. The odds of that are very low, even lower than the 70 percent probability that Walsh makes the 49-yarder (incidentally, Walsh's career percentage is 72.2, not 79).

IF the receiver doesn't get out of bounds and DOESN'T get the first down, the game is over. No way you can get the field goal team on the field, line up, and snap within 6-8 seconds. Even if you could, they would be so rushed that there is no way the probability of making that 39-yard field goal is the normal 85 percent. Not a chance.

Lest anyone think this is 20-20 hindsight, I was screaming at the TV last night within a millisecond of discovering the Vikings were going to run another play. I certainly don't have more than a decade as a head coach and more than 30 years as an NFL coach, as Turner does, yet I managed to make the right call.

Finally, anybody who thinks the field goal strategy is "playing not to lose," I ask you to examine the probabilities again as I've described them. Run the scenarios in your mind and come up with your own set of probabilities. It's one thing to be gung-ho. It's another to jump off a 1,000-foot cliff and expect not to land too hard.
Last edited by J. Kapp 11 on Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

dead_poet wrote:Norv Turner’s Vikings-Cardinals Game-Ending Play Call

For me it wasn't the play that was called, but that a play was called at all.

Should have just kicked it. Heck, if Norv wanted to be clever then fake the FG, but with 13 seconds left and no timeouts you tie up if you can.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

losperros wrote: I know Moth will agree with me on this one since he first brought it up. I'd like to see Patterson as the lone WR on some of the 2TE sets. Seems like he could add an interesting option to the sets, making them even more versatile.
Based on that NFL Breakdowns analysis, he couldn't have done a worse job than the receivers on the left side of the Vikings' formation on that last play. They acted like it was the 4th quarter of a preseason game. Extremely poor break off the line, and with nobody pressing them, it was inexcusable.

Call me daffy, but I'm pretty sure CP at least would have run hard if he were on the field. Especially given the few snaps he's played this year.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.