Vikings @ Bears Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

glenecho
Veteran

Re: Vikings @ Bears Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8

Post by glenecho »

IrishViking wrote:

So when bad things happen its because Teddy is bad

But when good things happen its pure luck

:roll:

Thats a pretty slanted opinion. Teddy looked rough and needs to improve but I'll take a great outing one week and a poor outing that ends with him orchestrating two scoring drives in 5 minutes to win as a pretty okay couple of weeks.
Slanted how? It's factual. Bridgewater is imply not an accurate thrower. To deny that is to simply keeps ones eyes closed to the obvious.

The Vikings have the 31st ranked passing offense in the NFL? But I'm the one slanting the argument?

Also...nice way to only read the first paragraph and responding with rage. I don't hate Bridgewater. I want him to succeed but he is a very inaccurate QB and I'm not buying that it's all the O-lines fault anymore.

But yeah you're right, our 31st ranked passing offense is a real juggernaut under Teddy. Just keep saying that to yourself. The facts simply don't back that up.
Bigwehrm
Starter

Post by Bigwehrm »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Whatever, dude.

He played his a$$ off when it counted. We haven't won in Chicago since AP was a rookie. You wanna complain, be my guest. But there's no raining on my parade.

SKOL!
Go ahead and be happy with a below avg QB forever. And Vikings fans wonder why we never win a super bowl. Too many fans with casual football knowledge that are happy just winning a few games here and there and never demand or expect excellence.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Bigwehrm wrote:Vikes better start qb shopping again. Teddy is just gonna not gonna be a franchise guy. Even with a good o line he does not have the arm or accuracy to be a stud. First off i dont care what happened at his pro day. Lose the god dang gloves. No way anyone can throw consistent with those Things on. I really was hoping TB would prove me wrong this year but he is not our answer long term. I hope to eat crow but as of now he is not,proving it.
No one can throw that consistent wearing gloves :? Man you better check out TB's Stats in college wearing those gloves :tongue:
Did another Puker fan invade our VIKING message board :roll:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

TSonn wrote:Let's remember that the Packers only beat the Bears in Chicago by 8 points and Aaron Rodgers only threw for 189 yards.

Was coming in to post something similar. No excuses on my end, by any means, cause Teddy played like doo-doo today. The Bears are tougher than most think though and while they shouldn't be on the same level as Minnesota, they're just one of those teams that is a hard out and happen to be a division rival, no less.

Teddy gotta be better.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Purple bruise wrote: No one can throw that consistent wearing gloves :? Man you better check out TB's Stats in college wearing those gloves :tongue:

Anyone who posts that stuff mere minutes after a road division win should be banned, IMO. At least wait until the next day and let us be happy. Jeez.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Skoltastic_Voyage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Skoltastic_Voyage »

Amazed no one posted about Sherels breaking the FG return record
My guide to being a Vikings fan:
Step 1.) Drink beer.
Step 2.) See step 1.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Skoltastic_Voyage wrote:Amazed no one posted about Sherels breaking the FG return record
WTF are you smoking/talking about :shock:

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Skoltastic_Voyage wrote:Amazed no one posted about Sherels breaking the FG return record
He didn't have any kind of field goal (I assume FG is field goal?) return, so I'm not sure why anyone would talk about him breaking that record? And if you're talking about his punt return, I wasn't aware that it broke any kind of record.
Skoltastic_Voyage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Skoltastic_Voyage »

akvikingsfan wrote: He didn't have any kind of field goal (I assume FG is field goal?) return, so I'm not sure why anyone would talk about him breaking that record? And if you're talking about his punt return, I wasn't aware that it broke any kind of record.
PUTN RETURNS>>> IM CELERBRATEING !!@#!@#
My guide to being a Vikings fan:
Step 1.) Drink beer.
Step 2.) See step 1.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Purple bruise wrote: No one can throw that consistent wearing gloves :? Man you better check out TB's Stats in college wearing those gloves :tongue:
TB's final year in college stats:
As a junior in 2013, Bridgewater completed 303 of 427 passes for 3,970 yards with 31 touchdowns and four interceptions. In his final college game against the Miami Hurricanes in the 2013 Russell Athletic Bowl, he completed 35 of 42 passes for 447 yards three touchdowns and was named the game's MVP
Pretty sure that he was wearing those gloves then :!:

Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Bigwehrm wrote:
Go ahead and be happy with a below avg QB forever. And Vikings fans wonder why we never win a super bowl. Too many fans with casual football knowledge that are happy just winning a few games here and there and never demand or expect excellence.
I don't know that any of us is "happy" with how Bridgewater is currently playing in terms of consistency. Opinions vary on whether or not he has "reached his ceiling" or will improve to a level to be considered 'good' or 'elite'. It seems to me that to declare he is the next Aaron Rodgers or the next Christian Ponder with under two years in the league is premature. He may very well turn into Christian Ponder 2.0 (or he could turn into a very good and consistent quarterback) some 1-2 years down the road. Given those facts, I think it wise if the Vikings had a "back-up" plan in case Bridgewater does not develop the way everyone hopes. But I think it would be foolish to 'bail' at this point on Teddy, simply because he still has much growing to do. If he has 'regressed' as some suggest, I would only point out that the term: sophomore slump came about for a reason. You may well be proven right that Teddy won't be successful, and if I were to make a "safe bet", I would say that too, since most QBs never turn into "anything special." But to imply that a person who disagrees with your opinion that Bridgewater always be "below average" is a "football fan with 'casual' football knowledge comes off as a bit condescending to me. How about giving us some objective facts/stats on how (good) QBs in their second years differed substantially from Bridgewater's performance(s)?
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

I think it's pretty sad that some of our fanbase has already given up on Teddy. After 18 starts. In his second year. With 5 comeback victories. And leading the team to a 5-2 record this year.

I've never lived in MN so I don't know how the average MN fan views Teddy, but I sincerely hope that they are way less cynical and less negative than a lot of the posters on this message board. Unfortunately, this message board is the only way I can share in the MN fan experience since I live far away and it really sucks. I took a couple weeks off from the board because our team would win a game and then I would come on VMB and feel so crappy about our team and the fans. The worst part is being excited and positive about a team that is winning games and having other "fans" try to prove that we're actually terrible. What kind of crap is that?

I like being excited about our 5-2 team with an improving defense, a young and winning QB, and an inspiring head coach. I think I'll be sharing my excitement with the Lions fans around me for the rest of the season since they seem to appreciate our team more than most Vikings fans.
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

When is the (Gloves/No Gloves/Only on Cold Days) poll coming out?

I'll say "cold."
Go Vikings, it's great to see a winning record.

Addendum: I wish I could get SF out of my head, and that stands for the San Francisco version.

...wisdom
...spirits in the wind and the trees
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

glenecho wrote: Slanted how? It's factual. Bridgewater is imply not an accurate thrower. To deny that is to simply keeps ones eyes closed to the obvious.
Bridgewater is 21st (out of 50 QB's listed here.). If you take out all the QBs with less than 50 attempts (Bridgewater is at 181 just for a comparison) he is 14th (out of 43) in passing percentage at 65.7%. (Aaron Rodgers is at 68.1% - 5 places ahead of Bridgewater just for comparison). Given these facts, how do you conclude he is NOT an accurate thrower? He is in the top third of all QBs in the NFL. Granted, we have some issues with our offense, some of which I do NOT attribute to Bridgewater, so how do I place the whole performance on his back?
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

VikingPaul73 wrote:Great win and I am eating crow.

I still have given up on Teddy. I am watching Carr now in the late games, and he is so far ahead of Teddy. Need to start working on Plan B

That said, great win. Awesome to snap a 7 year losing streak in SF. Always great to beat the Bears. Diggs, what can you say, what a complete STEAL in the 5th round. OL looked much much better. Defense looked great although they were definitely wearing down in the 4th.

It was a lucky lucky win, but a W is a W.

The remaining schedule is brutal. If they can go 4-5, they might sneak into the playoffs

SKOL
You know-- I rarely read daily threads during the game-- sometimes I'll read through after the fact. Today I was reading many of the comments live and i must say I'll not be doing it anymore. Somehow it has become acceptable to predict the worst case scenario in all things with no penalty to one's character or voice. Somehow it is fine to do whatever one can to tear down rather than build up.

What is the penalty (apparently)?-- 3 words. 'I'm eating Crow'.

That's rediculous. No one eats crow. They only *say* that as though to legitimize antisocial behavior. It's wrong and I'm not ashamed to say so. I've had it. One of the worst experiences I have had watching a game was a Green Bay game I had to watch with brothers-in-law (Green Bay fans). They piled on any time the Vikings did something bad or GB did something good-- plus the Vikes lost that game (2000 season I think).

I'd rate reading through this thread during the game a very similar experience. If I invited a viking fan over to watch the game at my house and had to deal with comments like this-- I'd never invite them back.
Vikings are going to lose. I'm usually very optimistic, but I'm not feeling it for them today.
Watch, three and out. Three runs to Peterson.
Tie Game, 7 minutes left:
Vikes are going to lose this one......4-3
hahahahahaha

And Cutler just ran over Harrison Smith.......salt in the wounds!!!!
Not enough time!
this will be the first time since 2012 that the bears' D has not allowed a TD

nice work Teddy P
When the result of such excessively negative comments is either 'See, *I* told you how terrible they were' or 'OK, I'm eating crow', it's just stupid.

Be smarter! It's OK to hope for a miracle even though all evidence to the contrary. IMHO it's *NOT* OK to pile on about how bad things are going to end up and to harden your heart against *actually* hoping your team may do well. To what end? To be able to be more spitefully negative toward life if your ominous predictions come true??? I don't mind griping about the bad things, I don't mind mentioning bad outcome while rooting *against* bad things to happen-- (i.e. pls don't let Gould win this on a last second TD!), but for crying out loud. Enough with the stinkin doom and gloom predictions.

Ridiculous to *want* your team to lose just so that you can say 'see! I told you so!' just to protect yourself from actually *hoping* your team will do well and allow them to let you down. Pathetic.

I'm done now-- just had to get that off my chest. Back to basking in the joy of 5-2 (however long that lasts).
Craig S