Third-down defense

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Third-down defense

Post by dead_poet »

Ew.
Captain Munnerlyn called out the problem last week and the Atlanta Falcons still converted 10-of-15 third-down attempts.

On the Falcons' longest conversion, Matt Ryan escaped pressure and rolled out right to find receiver Julio Jones on a 3rd-and-20. Rookie linebacker Anthony Barr looked to be the culprit on the play, but there was plenty of blame to go around on third downs for the Vikings.

On the season, the Vikings have allowed a 50% third-down conversion rate, which trails only the Green Bay Packers (53%) for worst in the NFL.

"It's terrible, we have a lot of work to do," coach Mike Zimmer said. "I'm extremely disappointed in that."

The Vikings have allowed a 19-of-28 [68%] conversion rate in the last two games.

Ryan completed 7-of-10 passes for 143 yards and a touchdown in those situations on Sunday, a week after Drew Brees completed 9-of-10 for 122 yards on third downs in the Vikings' 20-9 loss.
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Viki ... ense092914
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Leafman
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Third-down defense

Post by Leafman »

This has been the major weak spot of the team and the reason why my math has the Vikes losing to the Pack on Thursday.

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Here's my question: where's the pass rush? I thought Ryan, like Teddy, had all day to throw for most of the game. Concerning to say the least. Thankfully our secondary bailed us out.

Did I just type that?

:shock:
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

dead_poet wrote:Here's my question: where's the pass rush?:
Especially against a bunch of second stringers, and a TE. I just couldn't believe they didn't get more pressure.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Definitely an area to improve in. I guess the one thing I would say is that they've faced really potent offenses with good QB's so far and at the end of the day, the points given up matters more than 3rd down % which i'm not sure how they rank in that (again they've faced some potent offenses)

They have had a few times now where they've made the play to get off the field and have had a penalty help the offense out. (tackling breeze comes to mind)

I felt like the pass rush is getting pressure, but its the "half a step quicker and it'd be a sack" kind of thing. I think we just gotta give it some time, they haven't been able to make it stick but it might just even out over the long run.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Thaumaturgist wrote: Especially against a bunch of second stringers, and a TE. I just couldn't believe they didn't get more pressure.

They should have blitzed the crap out of them when they had that makeshift line. It was very disheartening that they didn't get really any pressure the entire game.
Although a lot of credit should go to Mike Tice for getting them ready, and making the backups looking very good.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

I've been saying this for a long time: We have the most un-athletic pass rush in the league. Robison is not scaring anyone
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Leafman
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Leafman »

NextQuestion wrote:I've been saying this for a long time: We have the most un-athletic pass rush in the league. Robison is not scaring anyone
Not sure how one measures an "athletic pass rush". All I know is that we have the athletic Barr and Griffen rushing the passer, with the Vikings tied for 12th in sacks and 13th in sack yardage. Appears decently "athletic" to me, but at minimum it's been reasonably effective.

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Need to blitz more on third down!
Maybe it just seems like we're not blitzing on third downs?
Superfreak84
Veteran

Post by Superfreak84 »

We've always been piss poor on third down. But something I've been really disappointed in is our rush defense. Too many 8 and 9 yard runs given up. Tackling seems to be a huge issue too.
Spawn
Rookie

Post by Spawn »

Vikes have been terrible on 3rd down for what seems like a decade now.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

dead_poet wrote:Here's my question: where's the pass rush? I thought Ryan, like Teddy, had all day to throw for most of the game. Concerning to say the least. Thankfully our secondary bailed us out.

Did I just type that?

:shock:
From what I can see they are losing contain. The rush is there, but it's undisciplined. On one of the 3rd downs I watched Everson Griffin's rush just to see what he did. He ended up taking an inside lane, which in turn left no pressure to Ryan's left and Ryan was able to slide in that direction, and of course, Griffin was completely out of the play.

Great to get the push up the field, but it has to be coordinated and designed to collapse the pocket.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Demi wrote:Need to blitz more on third down!
I think that's the case. I don't think we have the timing or spacing down on our blitzing yet. As a result we aren't getting a lot of pressure out of our blitz game. I expect that to be a point of emphasis this week, and certainly during the long week before detroit.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Demi wrote:Need to blitz more on third down!
I agree, Demi. I mentioned this in the game day thread as well. I've never checked the stats in different situations, but it definitely seems like Zimmer is very aggressive with the blitz on 1st and 2nd down, and gets more conservative on 3rd (especially 3rd and long), content to rush 4 and rely on the secondary.

But like I said I don't have the stats so it could be just my perception because I am always rooting for a blitz on 3rd and long :v):
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The Packers will not be bringing an A-List OLINE to the game on Thursday. Hopefully that will help.

IMO though, sacking Rogers isn't going to beat GB. The play of the Secondary is what will be tested on Thursday. It can't be worse than last year where McCArthy had such low respect for our secondary that he went for it on 4th down reporeatedly. (And it paid off...)
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi