Adam Shefter says Greg Jennings is a Viking!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Sinatra
Starter

Re: Adam Shefter says Greg Jennings is a Viking!

Post by Sinatra »

Viva la Vikings wrote:I guess you guys are right. It was a waste signing and we're better off with what we had. :roll:
The Vikings needed to improve WR, but this signing is stupid. They spent huge money, and it doesn't really fix anything. You don't spend money just for the sake of spending money. It's better to leave a position weakened than it is to spend huge money on a player that doesn't really fit. And that's what the Vikings did with this signing.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Only $18M guaranteed. The Vikes can live with that. It could effectively be just a two or three year deal, with not a big decision to make after that.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Sinatra wrote:The Vikings needed to improve WR, but this signing is stupid. They spent huge money, and it doesn't really fix anything. You don't spend money just for the sake of spending money. It's better to leave a position weakened than it is to spend huge money on a player that doesn't really fit. And that's what the Vikings did with this signing.
Keep telling yourself that if it makes your resentful green and gold heart feel better. ;)
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Sinatra wrote: The Vikings needed to improve WR, but this signing is stupid. They spent huge money, and it doesn't really fix anything. You don't spend money just for the sake of spending money. It's better to leave a position weakened than it is to spend huge money on a player that doesn't really fit. And that's what the Vikings did with this signing.
I smell some sour grapes.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Sinatra wrote: The Vikings needed to improve WR, but this signing is stupid. They spent huge money, and it doesn't really fix anything. You don't spend money just for the sake of spending money. It's better to leave a position weakened than it is to spend huge money on a player that doesn't really fit. And that's what the Vikings did with this signing.
So why aren't you a GM for an NFL team? You seem to have all of the answers.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The Breeze wrote: I smell some sour grapes.
Yep, somebody wanted a certain receiver with the initials GJ to stay in Green Bay.
Sinatra
Starter

Post by Sinatra »

Jennings is overrated. Was never a big fan of him. He's a second tier receiver at best, and he's never been a physical match-up problem. He's had fall of fame quarterbacks throwing him the ball in a pass-happy offense since the day he entered the league. He can't stay healthy, and he turns 30 this year. Jennings needed to go. You think the Packers would have let him walk if he was worth keeping? They could have franchised him, but didn't. Vikings overpaid for a player that doesn't really address a need.
Viva la Vikings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Viva la Vikings »

So what's your strategy then? What would you do to improve the offense with what was available? Not having a QB like Brees, who can make any avg receivers look great, we have Ponder who needs weapons to thrive. We all saw what Jennings is capable of when we played him the last two games including the game against the Niners. He looked great and I think he'll be a great addition.
Meet at the Quarterback. -Purple People Eaters
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

mrc44 wrote: We just paid Jennings 18 million guaranteed. He has missed 11 games in the last two seasons. He is 30 years old! And injury prone. How is that not overpaying?

Cruz is 26. we could have basically switched harvin for Cruz, a 3rd round pick and a 7th rd pick. He has over 29 Tds in two seasons. He has never been hurt. And we could have signed him to almost the same contract and he would have been 31 yrs old at the end. Jennings is already almost that old. There is not a single wr in this draft that will produce what Cruz does already. Unproven injury prone Keenan Allen OR victor Cruz ?
A fair price? Sure lol, 30 year old wr getting 46 over 5 years with 18 guaranteed is fair?
I don't see how he is worth every penny. If he was worth that, then SB winning organizations like the one he came from would have paid him. But smart teams don't throw that kind of money at old, hurt wr's that have already shown their max potential and his case probably already seen his prime days(considering the injuries).
I don't agree at all. Makes no sense to cut someone like Winfield because he is old and we are concerned about his health l, and then go and sign someone who has missed 11 games in the last 2 seasons and throw 18 million at him! Ridiculous.

I hope I get to shove both of my feet in my mouth on this one, because like everyone else here, I want the est for the franchise and AP. but considering his history, age, and the price we paid I am scared that I will be right.
we disagree....brah
Sinatra
Starter

Post by Sinatra »

Viva la Vikings wrote: So what's your strategy then? What would you do to improve the offense with what was available? Not having a QB like Brees, who can make any avg receivers look great, we have Ponder who needs weapons to thrive. We all saw what Jennings is capable of when we played him the last two games including the game against the Niners. He looked great and I think he'll be a great addition.
If you need receivers, you draft them or take a chance on a young, inexpensive, mid-tier guy. You don't go out and sign a 30-year old second tier receiver with an injury history to a $50m contract.
Viva la Vikings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Viva la Vikings »

Yeah because there is a Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald in this draft who's NFL ready. More time to develope and years taken from AP.
Meet at the Quarterback. -Purple People Eaters
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Sinatra wrote:Jennings is overrated. Was never a big fan of him. He's a second tier receiver at best, and he's never been a physical match-up problem. He's had fall of fame quarterbacks throwing him the ball in a pass-happy offense since the day he entered the league. He can't stay healthy, and he turns 30 this year. Jennings needed to go. You think the Packers would have let him walk if he was worth keeping? They could have franchised him, but didn't. Vikings overpaid for a player that doesn't really address a need.
why did GB offer him 5 years at $50 mill?

he's never been a match up problem but he always seems to be open somehow...and he led the team in receiving in their biggest game last year...which they managed to lose. because they DON'T HAVE A RUNNING GAME.

he doesn't address a need for the Vikings?!
don't believe everything you think. :rofl:
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

Mothman wrote: Exactly and just because he's had bad luck with injuries the last few years, it doesn't mean that will continue. When healthy, he's a top notch receiver and he's still in his athletic prime. This is a guy who could really help the team and help Ponder grow as a QB. Hopefully, it's a move that works out.

The Vikes choices were limited and they just signed one of the best options available to them. As far as I'm concerned, that's good news. :)
For all those who are grumbling about Harvin, Harvin has never been the model of fantastic health either. Even though Jennings is not a Harvin-like player in the least bit. Currently that guy is Wright, and as the Vikings are loaded with draft picks, they're probably going to snag a pretty good wide receiver that way, too. (Then again, as there's any point in grumbling about Percy Harvin...if the guy wanted to be a Viking, they would have found a way to keep him.)
-Rus
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

Sinatra wrote:
If you need receivers, you draft them or take a chance on a young, inexpensive, mid-tier guy. You don't go out and sign a 30-year old second tier receiver with an injury history to a $50m contract.

Not reality-grasping our situation very well, are we.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

mrc44 wrote:Hey Breeze , great input! What is brah?

i've already typed out my input. i think it's a great signing for the money, as long as he doesn't get broken. you don't agree...that's fine.

because Jennings is coming to a completely different system with an incredible running attack, what he is asked to do and what he will get done can't actually be determined by what he has done in the past...numbers wise. he's a smart savvy player...i believe he has the ability to adapt to his surroundings the same way he is able to get open on the field.

i can't really debate any of that because i don't expect to be right/wrong or change my opinion whatsoever until we are all sitting there on Sundays watching him and the rest of the team.

"brah" is Hawaiian pidgin for: my brother, bro, broseph, dude etc.