4th Quarter Cousins

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikeFanInEagleLand
Veteran
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:31 am
x 78

4th Quarter Cousins

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:30 pm

Interesting fact - So far this year, Kirk Cousins owns the best 4th Quarter QB Rating since Joe Montana in 1989.
1 x

User avatar
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1187
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:12 pm
x 404

Re: 4th Quarter Cousins

Post by RandyMoss84 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:40 pm

And fans thought Cousins is garbage :roll:
0 x

User avatar
MikethePurple
Veteran
Posts: 262
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:08 am
Location: Portland, OR
x 32

Re: 4th Quarter Cousins

Post by MikethePurple » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:08 pm

I’d be interested to see how much that stat changed if they adjusted for garbage time.
1 x

Frozen Rope
Backup
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:27 am
x 53

Re: 4th Quarter Cousins

Post by Frozen Rope » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:21 pm

MikethePurple wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:08 pm
I’d be interested to see how much that stat changed if they adjusted for garbage time.
C’mon Mike, he took a beating today. The O line took a major step backwards today. He played his guts out and overcame all the setbacks, fumbles, missed pat’s, usual predictable play calling. And to have a head coach who, all by himself, can lose a game for you. We made Glennen look all pro today. Unconscionable. If I was Cousins, I would have ripped the O line to shreds on the sideline. He took it to Cook on the sideline, and just maybe he took it to the O line too. They deserved it. We were lucky to win in a game that shouldn’t have been close.
2 x

User avatar
MikethePurple
Veteran
Posts: 262
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:08 am
Location: Portland, OR
x 32

Re: 4th Quarter Cousins

Post by MikethePurple » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:34 pm

Frozen Rope wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:21 pm
MikethePurple wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:08 pm
I’d be interested to see how much that stat changed if they adjusted for garbage time.
C’mon Mike, he took a beating today. The O line took a major step backwards today. He played his guts out and overcame all the setbacks, fumbles, missed pat’s, usual predictable play calling. And to have a head coach who, all by himself, can lose a game for you. We made Glennen look all pro today. Unconscionable. If I was Cousins, I would have ripped the O line to shreds on the sideline. He took it to Cook on the sideline, and just maybe he took it to the O line too. They deserved it. We were lucky to win in a game that shouldn’t have been close.
I don’t disagree that the ugliness wasn’t all on him and he was getting beaten up a lot this game. The OL was really bad today. He played well for the most part.

I think what I take issue with is the stat that includes performances from earlier in the year. For example, the opening game vs GB Cousins played horribly but ended up with a good stat line because of 4th quarter garbage time. That skews things and there were other performances at the beginning of the year similar to that.

Not criticizing him too much today, I’m more criticizing the stats. I think it was just a nice talking point for the announcers in the game. Stats are helpful in lots of instances, but context and the eye test is also important.
0 x

User avatar
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 724
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:39 am
Location: Convoy, Ohio
x 380

Re: 4th Quarter Cousins

Post by Bowhunting Viking » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:37 pm

Frozen Rope wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:21 pm
MikethePurple wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:08 pm
I’d be interested to see how much that stat changed if they adjusted for garbage time.
C’mon Mike, he took a beating today. The O line took a major step backwards today. He played his guts out and overcame all the setbacks, fumbles, missed pat’s, usual predictable play calling. And to have a head coach who, all by himself, can lose a game for you. We made Glennen look all pro today. Unconscionable. If I was Cousins, I would have ripped the O line to shreds on the sideline. He took it to Cook on the sideline, and just maybe he took it to the O line too. They deserved it. We were lucky to win in a game that shouldn’t have been close.
Absolutely agree with you. He took alot of hard hits today. I.was impressed on several plays where he stood there knowing he was gonna get blasted and didn't fold up. Stood there , got rid of the ball and took the hit.
I have finally been seeing some fire and some leadership out if him too. Maybe he is finally getting sick of it and is starting to try and take control and do something about the narrative of him. I want to see him become the a great QB really bad.
2 x
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!

User avatar
Rhodes Closed
Franchise Player
Posts: 402
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:21 am
Location: Sleepy Eye, Minnesota
x 101

Re: 4th Quarter Cousins

Post by Rhodes Closed » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:49 pm

I mean, even if you take out the Green Bay game, Cousins is still first by a country mile.
0 x

VikeFanInEagleLand
Veteran
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:31 am
x 78

Re: 4th Quarter Cousins

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:01 pm

MikethePurple wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:08 pm
I’d be interested to see how much that stat changed if they adjusted for garbage time.
Not nearly as much garbage stats this year as compared to other years. He's stepped it up. Gotta give him credit.
3 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 12465
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 549

Re: 4th Quarter Cousins

Post by S197 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:47 pm

Cousins QB Rating is 17th in the league. If he really is that good in the 4th quarter then he’s flat out awful in the other 3. It’s statistically impossible not to be otherwise.
1 x

Frozen Rope
Backup
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:27 am
x 53

Re: 4th Quarter Cousins

Post by Frozen Rope » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:13 pm

S197 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:47 pm
Cousins QB Rating is 17th in the league. If he really is that good in the 4th quarter then he’s flat out awful in the other 3. It’s statistically impossible not to be otherwise.
You see it your way and me and most of the fan base see it differently. Even when he stands in there, takes the hits, wins, and gives his teammate the credit, you can’t find a way to give him even a little credit. You and a couple others have a patent on hate Cousins no matter what. It was ugly but it was a win no matter what you think
3 x

Frozen Rope
Backup
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:27 am
x 53

Re: 4th Quarter Cousins

Post by Frozen Rope » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:16 pm

Bowhunting Viking wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:37 pm
Frozen Rope wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:21 pm

C’mon Mike, he took a beating today. The O line took a major step backwards today. He played his guts out and overcame all the setbacks, fumbles, missed pat’s, usual predictable play calling. And to have a head coach who, all by himself, can lose a game for you. We made Glennen look all pro today. Unconscionable. If I was Cousins, I would have ripped the O line to shreds on the sideline. He took it to Cook on the sideline, and just maybe he took it to the O line too. They deserved it. We were lucky to win in a game that shouldn’t have been close.
Absolutely agree with you. He took alot of hard hits today. I.was impressed on several plays where he stood there knowing he was gonna get blasted and didn't fold up. Stood there , got rid of the ball and took the hit.
I have finally been seeing some fire and some leadership out if him too. Maybe he is finally getting sick of it and is starting to try and take control and do something about the narrative of him. I want to see him become the a great QB really bad.
Amen Brett
1 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 12465
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 549

Re: 4th Quarter Cousins

Post by S197 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:23 pm

Frozen Rope wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:13 pm
S197 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:47 pm
Cousins QB Rating is 17th in the league. If he really is that good in the 4th quarter then he’s flat out awful in the other 3. It’s statistically impossible not to be otherwise.
You see it your way and me and most of the fan base see it differently. Even when he stands in there, takes the hits, wins, and gives his teammate the credit, you can’t find a way to give him even a little credit. You and a couple others have a patent on hate Cousins no matter what. It was ugly but it was a win no matter what you think
I’d imagine he will move up this week but what I stated was a fact. I didn’t give or take anything away from him. It just is.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ssing::qbr
0 x

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8423
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 1024

Re: 4th Quarter Cousins

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:41 pm

S197 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:47 pm
Cousins QB Rating is 17th in the league. If he really is that good in the 4th quarter then he’s flat out awful in the other 3. It’s statistically impossible not to be otherwise.
You really like that ESPN QBR.

There are other stats out there. As brought up in this post, an important one is a QB's play in the 4th quarter. Wonder what his QBR is in that frame, since from what I understand QBR accounts for garbage time. My guess is that ESPN won't provide that because it doesn't support their never-ending narrative that Cousins is a choker.

EDIT: And for those of you who love PFF, Kirk Cousins is the 5th-rated QB in the entire NFL, according to them. So who's right. ESPN's nebulous formula, or PFF's "evaluators"?
1 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
Rhodes Closed
Franchise Player
Posts: 402
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:21 am
Location: Sleepy Eye, Minnesota
x 101

Re: 4th Quarter Cousins

Post by Rhodes Closed » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:28 pm

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:41 pm
S197 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:47 pm
Cousins QB Rating is 17th in the league. If he really is that good in the 4th quarter then he’s flat out awful in the other 3. It’s statistically impossible not to be otherwise.
You really like that ESPN QBR.

There are other stats out there. As brought up in this post, an important one is a QB's play in the 4th quarter. Wonder what his QBR is in that frame, since from what I understand QBR accounts for garbage time. My guess is that ESPN won't provide that because it doesn't support their never-ending narrative that Cousins is a choker.

EDIT: And for those of you who love PFF, Kirk Cousins is the 5th-rated QB in the entire NFL, according to them. So who's right. ESPN's nebulous formula, or PFF's "evaluators"?
I'd say NFL analysts who rate Kirk as a Top-10 QB on his best day and a Top-20 on his worst.
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 12465
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 549

Re: 4th Quarter Cousins

Post by S197 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:21 am

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:41 pm
S197 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:47 pm
Cousins QB Rating is 17th in the league. If he really is that good in the 4th quarter then he’s flat out awful in the other 3. It’s statistically impossible not to be otherwise.
You really like that ESPN QBR.

There are other stats out there. As brought up in this post, an important one is a QB's play in the 4th quarter. Wonder what his QBR is in that frame, since from what I understand QBR accounts for garbage time. My guess is that ESPN won't provide that because it doesn't support their never-ending narrative that Cousins is a choker.

EDIT: And for those of you who love PFF, Kirk Cousins is the 5th-rated QB in the entire NFL, according to them. So who's right. ESPN's nebulous formula, or PFF's "evaluators"?
It’s not ESPN’s QBR, it’s just a QBR. Someone posted the formula from the wiki in another thread. This thread, which I didn’t start, is about his QBR so why wouldn’t I bring it up?
0 x