4th Quarter Cousins

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

4th Quarter Cousins

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

Interesting fact - So far this year, Kirk Cousins owns the best 4th Quarter QB Rating since Joe Montana in 1989.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: 4th Quarter Cousins

Post by RandyMoss84 »

And fans thought Cousins is garbage :roll:
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

I’d be interested to see how much that stat changed if they adjusted for garbage time.
Frozen Rope
Starter

Post by Frozen Rope »

MikethePurple wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:08 pm I’d be interested to see how much that stat changed if they adjusted for garbage time.
C’mon Mike, he took a beating today. The O line took a major step backwards today. He played his guts out and overcame all the setbacks, fumbles, missed pat’s, usual predictable play calling. And to have a head coach who, all by himself, can lose a game for you. We made Glennen look all pro today. Unconscionable. If I was Cousins, I would have ripped the O line to shreds on the sideline. He took it to Cook on the sideline, and just maybe he took it to the O line too. They deserved it. We were lucky to win in a game that shouldn’t have been close.
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

Frozen Rope wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:21 pm
MikethePurple wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:08 pm I’d be interested to see how much that stat changed if they adjusted for garbage time.
C’mon Mike, he took a beating today. The O line took a major step backwards today. He played his guts out and overcame all the setbacks, fumbles, missed pat’s, usual predictable play calling. And to have a head coach who, all by himself, can lose a game for you. We made Glennen look all pro today. Unconscionable. If I was Cousins, I would have ripped the O line to shreds on the sideline. He took it to Cook on the sideline, and just maybe he took it to the O line too. They deserved it. We were lucky to win in a game that shouldn’t have been close.
I don’t disagree that the ugliness wasn’t all on him and he was getting beaten up a lot this game. The OL was really bad today. He played well for the most part.

I think what I take issue with is the stat that includes performances from earlier in the year. For example, the opening game vs GB Cousins played horribly but ended up with a good stat line because of 4th quarter garbage time. That skews things and there were other performances at the beginning of the year similar to that.

Not criticizing him too much today, I’m more criticizing the stats. I think it was just a nice talking point for the announcers in the game. Stats are helpful in lots of instances, but context and the eye test is also important.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Absolutely agree with you. He took alot of hard hits today. I.was impressed on several plays where he stood there knowing he was gonna get blasted and didn't fold up. Stood there , got rid of the ball and took the hit.
I have finally been seeing some fire and some leadership out if him too. Maybe he is finally getting sick of it and is starting to try and take control and do something about the narrative of him. I want to see him become the a great QB really bad.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

I mean, even if you take out the Green Bay game, Cousins is still first by a country mile.
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

Not nearly as much garbage stats this year as compared to other years. He's stepped it up. Gotta give him credit.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Cousins QB Rating is 17th in the league. If he really is that good in the 4th quarter then he’s flat out awful in the other 3. It’s statistically impossible not to be otherwise.
Frozen Rope
Starter

Post by Frozen Rope »

S197 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:47 pm Cousins QB Rating is 17th in the league. If he really is that good in the 4th quarter then he’s flat out awful in the other 3. It’s statistically impossible not to be otherwise.
You see it your way and me and most of the fan base see it differently. Even when he stands in there, takes the hits, wins, and gives his teammate the credit, you can’t find a way to give him even a little credit. You and a couple others have a patent on hate Cousins no matter what. It was ugly but it was a win no matter what you think
Frozen Rope
Starter

Post by Frozen Rope »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:37 pm
Absolutely agree with you. He took alot of hard hits today. I.was impressed on several plays where he stood there knowing he was gonna get blasted and didn't fold up. Stood there , got rid of the ball and took the hit.
I have finally been seeing some fire and some leadership out if him too. Maybe he is finally getting sick of it and is starting to try and take control and do something about the narrative of him. I want to see him become the a great QB really bad.
Amen Brett
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Frozen Rope wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:13 pm
S197 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:47 pm Cousins QB Rating is 17th in the league. If he really is that good in the 4th quarter then he’s flat out awful in the other 3. It’s statistically impossible not to be otherwise.
You see it your way and me and most of the fan base see it differently. Even when he stands in there, takes the hits, wins, and gives his teammate the credit, you can’t find a way to give him even a little credit. You and a couple others have a patent on hate Cousins no matter what. It was ugly but it was a win no matter what you think
I’d imagine he will move up this week but what I stated was a fact. I didn’t give or take anything away from him. It just is.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ssing::qbr
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

You really like that ESPN QBR.

There are other stats out there. As brought up in this post, an important one is a QB's play in the 4th quarter. Wonder what his QBR is in that frame, since from what I understand QBR accounts for garbage time. My guess is that ESPN won't provide that because it doesn't support their never-ending narrative that Cousins is a choker.

EDIT: And for those of you who love PFF, Kirk Cousins is the 5th-rated QB in the entire NFL, according to them. So who's right. ESPN's nebulous formula, or PFF's "evaluators"?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:41 pm

There are other stats out there. As brought up in this post, an important one is a QB's play in the 4th quarter. Wonder what his QBR is in that frame, since from what I understand QBR accounts for garbage time. My guess is that ESPN won't provide that because it doesn't support their never-ending narrative that Cousins is a choker.

EDIT: And for those of you who love PFF, Kirk Cousins is the 5th-rated QB in the entire NFL, according to them. So who's right. ESPN's nebulous formula, or PFF's "evaluators"?
I'd say NFL analysts who rate Kirk as a Top-10 QB on his best day and a Top-20 on his worst.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:41 pm

It’s not ESPN’s QBR, it’s just a QBR. Someone posted the formula from the wiki in another thread. This thread, which I didn’t start, is about his QBR so why wouldn’t I bring it up?