When does McCarthy start?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

When does jj start?

Week 1
8%
Week 7 (after the bye)
31%
Week 9 at colts
No votes
Other
62%

Total votes: 13

PA1Viking
Waterboy

Re: When does McCarthy start?

Post by PA1Viking »

As much as I can't wait to see this kid take control of the offense I honestly would be ok if he sits out the entire season. I would be fine if he spent the entire season attached to the hip of his coaches grooming him for a 25 debut. In addition to that I can also see Darnold having a big season operating in this system with the amount of weapons he will be surrounded with. Those who question Sam's ability fail to look at the teams he played on. This guy has a good arm if coach OConnell can reel him in and eliminate some of the turnovers playoffs will not be out of the question.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:50 pm I hope you're right, but I got the odds at 20% he starts game 1. I have odds at 60% he's starting by game 7 or earlier.
I agree the odds are small he starts week 1 but if he does, man, I'll be super excited about his prospects at QB going forward.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:27 pm
allday1991 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:02 am Interesting side note, Jj has went from +1400 (when we first drafted him) to + 900 (current) to win offensive rookie of the year. Fairly big increase especially after KOC named Sam the starter for training camp.
That's very strange. After another guy is called the starter the odds should have got longer and not shorter.
I stand corrected, his odds have fallen drastically to -1700 for McCarthy to win rookie of the year. Oddly enough Bo Nix Despite reports of looking great in mini camp and still in a battle for qb1 on his roster comes in at -2000. Interesting to say the least.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

allday1991 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:33 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:27 pm

That's very strange. After another guy is called the starter the odds should have got longer and not shorter.
I stand corrected, his odds have fallen drastically to -1700 for McCarthy to win rookie of the year. Oddly enough Bo Nix Despite reports of looking great in mini camp and still in a battle for qb1 on his roster comes in at -2000. Interesting to say the least.
I'll be shocked if Nix doesn't start game one. I'll be very surprised if McCarthy does. I might have to put $100 down on Nix to win the RoY.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:42 pm
allday1991 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:33 pm

I'll be shocked if Nix doesn't start game one. I'll be very surprised if McCarthy does. I might have to put $100 down on Nix to win the RoY.
I think the majority agree with you, I think Vegas even agrees with you. It’s likely Nix starts day 1 and it’s unlikely McCarthy does, even still McCarthy has better odds to win rookie of the year. Dunno what that says about Nix or more likely the talent around them.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

Just when you think ESPN is the worst company ever, they actually produce a very good article that isn't paywalled. Interesting tidbit - the Vikings planned to try to sign Brock Purdy to a free agent contract, missed it by one draft pick.

Every time I read something about O'Connell (this isn't quite about him, but enough), he seems thoughtful, intelligent, and a quality guy.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/405 ... j-mccarthy