Draft Day Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Tommy TarkenKapp
Rookie

Re: Draft Day Discussion

Post by Tommy TarkenKapp »

What do we go for in Round 4? CB? DT? OL? Is there a developmental QB prospect that might be worth a flyer? I still like Hall as a developmental guy. But, you can't have enough decent QB prospects in today's NFL.

As much I hate giving the Packers props...they had a bunch of QBs on their rosters in the 90's/early 00's that spent time on their rosters that went on to become starters elsewhere with varying degrees of success. Mark Brunell, Ty Detmer, Kurt Warner, Aaron Brooks, Matt Hasselbeck.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Tommy TarkenKapp wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:20 am What do we go for in Round 4? CB? DT? OL? Is there a developmental QB prospect that might be worth a flyer? I still like Hall as a developmental guy. But, you can't have enough decent QB prospects in today's NFL.

As much I hate giving the Packers props...they had a bunch of QBs on their rosters in the 90's/early 00's that spent time on their rosters that went on to become starters elsewhere with varying degrees of success. Mark Brunell, Ty Detmer, Kurt Warner, Aaron Brooks, Matt Hasselbeck.
I never realized they had that many who made an impact. I hope they look at the OL. Any team that's good has an OL. The Cowboys are always in the mix and they never let the OL turn to crap. Look what we have at G and C. Nothing. Any QB will be destroyed with that $hit. A QB I like is Mark Gronowski 6'3" 230. He has a very good arm. Plus he has speed and movement. He plays in a crap conference so he's years away.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Khyree Jackson, CB, Oregon -- B/R gave a good grade.
Strengths: Tarantula-like frame, takes full advantage of length, plays physical at line of scrimmage, competes through the ball
Weaknesses: Some stiffness in backpedal to quickly flip his hips and turn, lacks top gear, overly handsy down the field
Jackson, 24, is an older prospect, which is why he slid into the fourth round. But he showed he can be a high-end coverage corner last season. He gives the Minnesota Vikings a big, long cornerback, thus allowing Byron Murphy II to play a lot of slot snaps.
Grade: A
Playing in the secondary in todays NFL is a worthless job. Basically every play can be called PI even more than just a few seasons ago. It's a tackle a WR position now and just hope for a misfire or drop to save your A$$.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Khyree Jackson is 6'-4", 194 lbs. Has good athleticism scores, long arms. Definitely a BFlo CB. Give the guy tools to work with.
Tommy TarkenKapp
Rookie

I'll get laughed off the board...but are there any decent looking place kickers to be had in this draft? Joseph is gone. I'd like to have a kicker that's consistent from 45 yards & in & doesn't miss multiple PATs during the course of the season.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Tommy TarkenKapp wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:13 pm I'll get laughed off the board...but are there any decent looking place kickers to be had in this draft? Joseph is gone. I'd like to have a kicker that's consistent from 45 yards & in & doesn't miss multiple PATs during the course of the season.
For the Vikings? I don't think it's possible to have a consistent kicker. I still have PTSD. :lol:
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Tommy TarkenKapp wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:13 pm I'll get laughed off the board...but are there any decent looking place kickers to be had in this draft? Joseph is gone. I'd like to have a kicker that's consistent from 45 yards & in & doesn't miss multiple PATs during the course of the season.
Peg has never missed a practice kick so he never gets cut. Now with that Viking record 61 yarder against the G men they might put him in the ring of honor or whatever it's called. At least a plaque will be setup somewhere. I'll always remember the duffs. Especially that chip shot out in AZ that was his usual block right for the loss. Of course the haters all blamed Cpt Kirk for that one. I would have cut his lame a$$ right after we got back into the locker room after that one. Wait till this KO rule gets in his head. Just go for 2 pointers. We should hit on 50% or close to it.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

How about the kid from Alabama?
Tommy TarkenKapp
Rookie

psjordan wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:11 pm
Yeah, I saw they just picked him. I don't really know anything about him. I just figured we need to add a kicker at some point.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

With their second pick of the afternoon, Minnesota used their first of two selections in the sixth round on former Oklahoma offensive tackle Walter Rouse.
Walter Rouse enters the NFL draft with upside as a potential interior offensive lineman, underscored by his significant collegiate starts and power at the point of attack. His transition from tackle to guard could mitigate some athletic shortcomings, particularly his struggles with vertical sets and lateral movement. Rouse's effective use of hand strikes and ability to anchor down suggests he could move inside, where his limitations in space are less detrimental.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

With their second pick in the sixth round, Minnesota selected former Alabama kicker Will Reichard. He is the first kicker to be drafted by the Vikings since Daniel Carlson in 2018.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

https://x.com/vikings/status/1784349218 ... a0qGowCgHQ

Don’t know anything about this guy at all. Looks to have a good motor…
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

psjordan wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:11 pm
The more players from Alabama the better. Go Reichard.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:21 pm With their second pick of the afternoon, Minnesota used their first of two selections in the sixth round on former Oklahoma offensive tackle Walter Rouse.
Walter Rouse enters the NFL draft with upside as a potential interior offensive lineman, underscored by his significant collegiate starts and power at the point of attack. His transition from tackle to guard could mitigate some athletic shortcomings, particularly his struggles with vertical sets and lateral movement. Rouse's effective use of hand strikes and ability to anchor down suggests he could move inside, where his limitations in space are less detrimental.
Have the Vikings stated an intent to move him to guard? Or have they just said he's versatile?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Angels Wings wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:41 pm https://x.com/vikings/status/1784349218 ... a0qGowCgHQ

Don’t know anything about this guy at all. Looks to have a good motor…
A lot of us wanted Drake in the draft. We got him.
I think he was the player X who was supposed to be a great sleeper that nobody knew about.