Off-season Prediction Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4201
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 750

Re: Off-season Prediction Thread

Post by VikingsVictorious »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:56 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:37 pm
Can you give me your confidence level in Daniels? Are you 75% confident that he will grow into as good a QB as Kirk or better? Isn't he Kyler Murray 2.0? That wouldn't be bad, but would it be good enough?

By the way. Check throughout the years to see what kind of QBs are sacked the most. You will find out it's the mobile ones. On the other hand the mobile ones pull some great plays out of their #### a lot more often than the immobile ones.
I can’t give a number on confidence level because, as you’ve pointed out, the draft is an inexact science. As good as Kirk? Can’t say, but I believe it’s moot. Even if the Vikings extend Kirk, it’s highly unlikely he’ll be a Viking for more than two years, primarily because of his age. I’m not looking at two years. I’m hoping for 12.

I’m confident he can be more effective — eventually. He might not be as efficient, especially in the beginning, but he’ll likely be able to make plays Kirk would never attempt. No, I don’t see him as Kyler Murray 2.0. For one thing, Daniels is 6-4, while Murray is 5-10 if we’re being generous. That means he should be more effective in the pocket. He’s likely a better runner than Murray (about the same speed) although I’m not sure I want my QB running like Lamar Jackson. Murray has a great arm, but Daniels’ might be stronger. Where I would hope Daniels is better is in his dedication to his profession. That’s been a source of controversy with Murray. Some say it’s overblown, but I disagree. Teams don’t put film-study clauses in $200-million contracts for no reason. However, a man’s dedication to his craft is something that’s hard to know until he’s in the building, so when it comes to Daniels, who knows?

Here’s the thing … why are we comparing Daniels and Cousins?

I’m about winning. The question is WHEN? If the Vikings keep Cousins, then they’d better be all about winning now because you’ve only got a couple years of him. For me, that means NOT drafting a QB high. Too many holes in the roster to burn your top draft asset on someone who’s going to sit until after Kirk is gone.

We shouldn’t be comparing Daniels to Cousins. We should be figuring out who’s under center if it’s not Kirk.
It wasn't about comparing Daniels to Cousins. I was using Kirk as a baseline for a real good QB that is good enough to win a Super Bowl with the right team.
cmoss84
Veteran
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:29 pm
Location: Bakersfield, CA
x 49

Re: Off-season Prediction Thread

Post by cmoss84 »

Alright...moving on to "Plan C."

1) We trade two 3rds for Justin Fields (we do not sign Cousins) Give him a prove it year for extension.

2) We sign two of the following FA running backs to 1 or 2 year deals:
(cut Mattison)
1) Saquon Barkley
2) Josh Jacobs
3) Derrick Henry
4) Tony Pollard
5) Austin Ekeler
6) D’Andre Swift
7) Zack Moss
8) J.K. Dobbins
9) Devin Singletary
10) Antonio Gibson

3) We trade JJ to chargers for #5 and 2nd in 2025 At #5, we take Harrison Jr.

4) We sign two of these gentlemen (we do not sign Hunter):
(Interior)
Robert Hunt
2) Kevin Dotson
3) Connor Williams
4) Lloyd Cushenberry
5) Jonah Jackson
6) Kevin Zeitler
7) Andre James
9) Tyler Biadasz
10) Dalton Risner
(Tackles)
1) Mike Onwenu
2) Jonah Williams
3) Tyron Smith
4) Mehki Becton
5) Trent Brown
6) Donovan Smith
7) Yosh Nijman
8) George Fant
9) Jermaine Eluemunor
10) Josh Jones

5) Sign Patrick Queen or Lavonte David
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4201
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 750

Re: Off-season Prediction Thread

Post by VikingsVictorious »

cmoss84 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:50 pm Alright...moving on to "Plan C."

1) We trade two 3rds for Justin Fields (we do not sign Cousins) Give him a prove it year for extension.

2) We sign two of the following FA running backs to 1 or 2 year deals:
(cut Mattison)
1) Saquon Barkley
2) Josh Jacobs
3) Derrick Henry
4) Tony Pollard
5) Austin Ekeler
6) D’Andre Swift
7) Zack Moss
8) J.K. Dobbins
9) Devin Singletary
10) Antonio Gibson

3) We trade JJ to chargers for #5 and 2nd in 2025 At #5, we take Harrison Jr.

4) We sign two of these gentlemen (we do not sign Hunter):
(Interior)
Robert Hunt
2) Kevin Dotson
3) Connor Williams
4) Lloyd Cushenberry
5) Jonah Jackson
6) Kevin Zeitler
7) Andre James
9) Tyler Biadasz
10) Dalton Risner
(Tackles)
1) Mike Onwenu
2) Jonah Williams
3) Tyron Smith
4) Mehki Becton
5) Trent Brown
6) Donovan Smith
7) Yosh Nijman
8) George Fant
9) Jermaine Eluemunor
10) Josh Jones

5) Sign Patrick Queen or Lavonte David
Not bad but why is Harrison Jr. available at 5?
cmoss84
Veteran
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:29 pm
Location: Bakersfield, CA
x 49

Re: Off-season Prediction Thread

Post by cmoss84 »

3 QBs and either Alt or Turner...or we trade up from 5 to 4...
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
makila
Franchise Player
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:43 pm
x 171

Re: Off-season Prediction Thread

Post by makila »

Alec Lewis from Athletic. Mainly KAM quotes.
-----
INDIANAPOLIS — Minnesota Vikings general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah perked up Tuesday afternoon at the NFL Scouting Combine when a reporter posed a question about Justin Jefferson.

Jefferson, arguably the NFL’s best receiver, has been eligible for an extension since the beginning of last offseason. The Vikings pursued a long-term contract before last season, but the two sides broke off negotiations days before the team’s first game.

So, where do those conversations now lie? And is there a world in which Adofo-Mensah has entertained the unsubstantiated and rumored idea of a trade regarding Minnesota’s best player?

“That is not something that has once crossed my mind,” Adofo-Mensah said. “You’ve got a blue player and a blue person. You try to keep as many of those as you can.”

Adofo-Mensah even hinted at what the team would be willing to pay the accomplished 24-year-old, who is entering the fifth season of his rookie contract.

“We think he’s the best wide receiver in the league, and he should be compensated as such,” Adofo-Mensah said. “We think he’s one of the best non-quarterbacks in the league, and we think he should be compensated as such. So, we’ll continue to have those dialogues and conversations.”

This story will be updated.
-----
Image
User avatar
VikingLord
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8322
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Location: The Land of the Ice and Snow
x 990

Re: Off-season Prediction Thread

Post by VikingLord »

cmoss84 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:50 pm 1) We trade two 3rds for Justin Fields (we do not sign Cousins) Give him a prove it year for extension.
I wouldn't take one 3rd for Fields. He isn't good. The more I look at his stats relative to his peers, the more I see a very overrated QB who is mainly talked about as trade bait because of where the Bears drafted him. He's a lot like Trey Lance was for the 49ers, although Lance has put far less on tape than Fields and one could at least argue Lance could still develop. The fact that the Bears are apparently already giving up on him also says everything from where I sit.

If the Vikings don't bring Cousins back I don't want them wasting valuable draft capital on Fields. Either go to the well in the draft and take a chance on a rookie who they can develop, or maybe Stick with Nick for another season and rough it out. Just don't pay for a castoff from a divisional rival. If Fields isn't picked up anywhere they can talk to his agent, but I suspect some team out there will be willing to part with something valuable for Fields. I just hope that team is not the QB-needy Vikings.
User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4201
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 750

Re: Off-season Prediction Thread

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Pete Prisco all in on the Vikings Bringing Cousins back.

cmoss84
Veteran
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:29 pm
Location: Bakersfield, CA
x 49

Re: Off-season Prediction Thread

Post by cmoss84 »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:51 am
cmoss84 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:50 pm 1) We trade two 3rds for Justin Fields (we do not sign Cousins) Give him a prove it year for extension.
I wouldn't take one 3rd for Fields. He isn't good. The more I look at his stats relative to his peers, the more I see a very overrated QB who is mainly talked about as trade bait because of where the Bears drafted him. He's a lot like Trey Lance was for the 49ers, although Lance has put far less on tape than Fields and one could at least argue Lance could still develop. The fact that the Bears are apparently already giving up on him also says everything from where I sit.

If the Vikings don't bring Cousins back I don't want them wasting valuable draft capital on Fields. Either go to the well in the draft and take a chance on a rookie who they can develop, or maybe Stick with Nick for another season and rough it out. Just don't pay for a castoff from a divisional rival. If Fields isn't picked up anywhere they can talk to his agent, but I suspect some team out there will be willing to part with something valuable for Fields. I just hope that team is not the QB-needy Vikings.
You'd rather have Mullens? Ouch.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4201
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 750

Re: Off-season Prediction Thread

Post by VikingsVictorious »

cmoss84 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:20 pm
VikingLord wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:51 am

I wouldn't take one 3rd for Fields. He isn't good. The more I look at his stats relative to his peers, the more I see a very overrated QB who is mainly talked about as trade bait because of where the Bears drafted him. He's a lot like Trey Lance was for the 49ers, although Lance has put far less on tape than Fields and one could at least argue Lance could still develop. The fact that the Bears are apparently already giving up on him also says everything from where I sit.

If the Vikings don't bring Cousins back I don't want them wasting valuable draft capital on Fields. Either go to the well in the draft and take a chance on a rookie who they can develop, or maybe Stick with Nick for another season and rough it out. Just don't pay for a castoff from a divisional rival. If Fields isn't picked up anywhere they can talk to his agent, but I suspect some team out there will be willing to part with something valuable for Fields. I just hope that team is not the QB-needy Vikings.
You'd rather have Mullens? Ouch.
I'd rather have whoever we can get in this years draft than Fields.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3613
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:28 pm
x 749

Re: Off-season Prediction Thread

Post by CharVike »

cmoss84 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:50 pm Alright...moving on to "Plan C."

1) We trade two 3rds for Justin Fields (we do not sign Cousins) Give him a prove it year for extension.

2) We sign two of the following FA running backs to 1 or 2 year deals:
(cut Mattison)
1) Saquon Barkley
2) Josh Jacobs
3) Derrick Henry
4) Tony Pollard
5) Austin Ekeler
6) D’Andre Swift
7) Zack Moss
8) J.K. Dobbins
9) Devin Singletary
10) Antonio Gibson

3) We trade JJ to chargers for #5 and 2nd in 2025 At #5, we take Harrison Jr.

4) We sign two of these gentlemen (we do not sign Hunter):
(Interior)
Robert Hunt
2) Kevin Dotson
3) Connor Williams
4) Lloyd Cushenberry
5) Jonah Jackson
6) Kevin Zeitler
7) Andre James
9) Tyler Biadasz
10) Dalton Risner
(Tackles)
1) Mike Onwenu
2) Jonah Williams
3) Tyron Smith
4) Mehki Becton
5) Trent Brown
6) Donovan Smith
7) Yosh Nijman
8) George Fant
9) Jermaine Eluemunor
10) Josh Jones

5) Sign Patrick Queen or Lavonte David
I would just keep Dobbs instead of trading for Fields. Basically same type of player. Fields threw for 16 TDs and 8 of them came in 2 games. The other 15 games not much. Matter of fact no thanks on either of them. I think they will try and keep Risner. As usual we are in a position of needing a body to fill the position. I would keep Hunter. Always was and will be about getting after the QB. Once you can't get after the QB it's over. I would get his snap count lower. Unfortunately we don't have depth. If you can get a block buster trade then JJ needs to go. Kewsi said the thought of trading him has never crossed his mind. Idiot. Just say we are always looking to improve the roster. And then he should add since I whiffed on my 1st draft we are in the process of digging out of that grave so we need some players.
User avatar
Cliff
Site Admin
Posts: 9545
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Kentucky
x 463

Re: Off-season Prediction Thread

Post by Cliff »

I can't see the Bears trading a young QB with potential to another team in the division. There are other teams that will trade for him, no reason to go to the Vikings unless they give up something crazy and none of us want that.
makila
Franchise Player
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:43 pm
x 171

Re: Off-season Prediction Thread

Post by makila »

Moves are starting. Mattison released. Seems like a genuinely good person. Wish him the best moving forward. Seemed like this was inevitable.



Tweet loading weird:

Ben Goessling
@BenGoessling
Multiple sources confirmed the Vikings are planning to release RB Alexander Mattison. He had a guarantee of $2.75 million set to vest on March 15.

Ben Goessling
@BenGoessling
With the release of Alexander Mattison, the #Vikings will save $3.35 million in cap space for 2024.
Image
User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4201
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 750

Re: Off-season Prediction Thread

Post by VikingsVictorious »

cmoss84 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:04 pm 3 QBs and either Alt or Turner...or we trade up from 5 to 4...
I think there is no way the Cards pass on Harrison Jr.
User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4201
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 750

Re: Off-season Prediction Thread

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Cliff wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:08 am I can't see the Bears trading a young QB with potential to another team in the division. There are other teams that will trade for him, no reason to go to the Vikings unless they give up something crazy and none of us want that.
I personally don't feel that Fields has potential. I could be wrong.
User avatar
VikingLord
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8322
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Location: The Land of the Ice and Snow
x 990

Re: Off-season Prediction Thread

Post by VikingLord »

cmoss84 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:20 pm
VikingLord wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:51 am

I wouldn't take one 3rd for Fields. He isn't good. The more I look at his stats relative to his peers, the more I see a very overrated QB who is mainly talked about as trade bait because of where the Bears drafted him. He's a lot like Trey Lance was for the 49ers, although Lance has put far less on tape than Fields and one could at least argue Lance could still develop. The fact that the Bears are apparently already giving up on him also says everything from where I sit.

If the Vikings don't bring Cousins back I don't want them wasting valuable draft capital on Fields. Either go to the well in the draft and take a chance on a rookie who they can develop, or maybe Stick with Nick for another season and rough it out. Just don't pay for a castoff from a divisional rival. If Fields isn't picked up anywhere they can talk to his agent, but I suspect some team out there will be willing to part with something valuable for Fields. I just hope that team is not the QB-needy Vikings.
You'd rather have Mullens? Ouch.
If Fields could be had for the money they're paying Mullens (including no draft compensation to acquire Fields), then sure, I'd probably take a flyer on Fields in that case.

But Fields won't cost the same. The Bears will want more for his rights and will probably get it from someone given how many teams need QBs with potential.

Assuming the rights to Fields will come with a premium, and assuming Fields will also want an extension from any team that trades for him, and assuming that extension won't be cheap, I'll take Mullens any day of the week over Fields. In terms of what is paid for the production of each player, Mullens is a steal compared to Fields.