Bears @ Vikings postgame

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Bears @ Vikings postgame

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Another UGLY game but Vikings pulled out another comeback win! So this is their 3rd comeback win in 3 weeks! 4-1 and in first place! :smilevike: :thumbsup:
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Bears @ Vikings postgame

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Would have liked to see more of a curbstomping but I'll take the win. Quick thoughts:

How did they put a lid on JJ in the second half?

O'Neil struggled but the rest of the line played well it seemed.

I'm not a fan of this defensive scheme. Way too soft.

Irv had some good moments.

Dalvin and Mattison made some great plays.

I'm expecting Tua to play next week. Waddle and Hill will be a huge test for this defense.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Yes, absolutely an ugly win... I'll take it, and rejoice. Kirk was on fire for a bit, then got cold before heating up again. Special teams we're the opposite of special today. Defense wasn't good, but came up big in the end. I see glimpses of what they could be, but they need to be the good Vikings more consistently.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Oh my freaking gosh.

My heart will not stop pounding.

Could not believe the Vikings went from absolute domination to TRAILING in the fourth quarter. But my goodness, another fourth-quarter comeback.

DRIVE OF THE SEASON. They went 75 yards in 17 plays and 7 minutes, converted 6 third downs (Kirk's TD is scored as a first down).

Kirk played well you guys. Gotta give him credit. He had one bad decision. The offense hurt itself with penalties in the second half, and the kicking game let us down. But the guy was on fire in the first half, and absolutely nails on that last drive. JJ ... what can you say? Really had it going today. I think the only reason he didn't have a bigger second half was that the Bears had the ball so much.

The offense was better this game, but didn't play a complete game. Had 429 yards of total offense, but 307 of those came in the first half. What encourages me is that they're moving — ever so slowly — in the right direction. Also, 80% conversion rate on 3rd down, and much better in the red zone.

This defense ... got pressure against a bad Bears O-line, but Fields really made the D look bad on some of his runs. And man, the Vikings can't stop the passing game in the middle of the field. Are our linebackers THAT SLOW? (Rhetorical question: Of course they are.) But Cam Dantzler ... what a HUGE PLAY. And against the former Viking. Sweet!

I guess we just continue the mantra: WIN ANYWAY.

Green Bay loses. The Vikes are 4-1 and alone in first place. Haven't been in this position for quite some time. I'll take it.

SKOL!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Kirk runs hot and cold. Another close game where we should have stomped the Bears.
Mistakes on both side of the ball, left the Bears hang around.
I’m not overly impressed with the coaching. But ugly wins is better than a lost.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Always good to get a win even if it was ugly. I thought it would be a cake walk but I guess the team/coaches did also which is a mistake. This 3-4 defense is a waste of time and effort. I don't see any benefit. Fields average almost 10 yards an attempt with a 71% completion rate. That's unacceptable. Great last drive for the TD which saved the game. Cook also played good. Mundt had a great double block on Cook's 1st TD. He played it through until the end.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Once again, we win lucky. Thats was really a horrible 2nd half.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Got to hand it to the Bears, they made some killer adjustments.

The Vikings let them come back from a 21 point lead. I'm ok with that, because they won. For the last several years a team coming back like that meant a Vikings loss. Not the case so far.

It was a fun game to watch and the Vikings won by driving down the field and taking the win. Then the defense forced a turn over.

Comebacks and close games happen all the time in the NFL, which is why it's so important to be able to close. So far this team is closing pretty well. They closed out this game extremely well.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Another game that provided free a stress test for us Viking fans with cardiac history.
These ugly wins are... well... ugly! And I will take every single one they give us. Especially after watch Erin and the Pukers go down earlier.
Thankfully we didn't have to listen to that tool Sanchez today..it was miserable listening to him again for the early game. They guy just absolutely sucks and is painful to listen to.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Yup you guys all pretty much summed up the general thoughts and sentiment.

4-1. Don't care how the wins occur when they are wins. Haha. Packers lost. We've got three divisional wins, one against each team. Such a good start to first pass through the division.

Agree with Kapp about that drive, it was great execution and play calls. Grinding when needed and scored. Said something to the effect in the game chat at the time.

Knee jerk short term memory bias, the first half Kirk was maybe the best I've seen. He was outstanding. I liked the aggression of starting with the ball at home. Of course he regressed closer to the norm in the second half.

Run game looked good and consistent. Line looked solid. Don't recall anything huge jumping out that wasn't corrected.

Defense... ehhh...I still don't know what it does well. I saw multiple missed tackles by front seven players that would have helped end drives. Blacklock and Hicks off top of my head. Secondary not exactly tested. That one catch by Moony (sp?) was incredible. Great play by Dantzler to strip ISM.

STs had some poor plays. There was the bad punt that can't happen. The block. Etc. Must be cleaned up.

If Tua plays, and is good, the fins passing game is really gonna stress this defense.

4-1. Leading the division. Beat all divisional opponents in first match up. Heck yes I'll take.
Last edited by makila on Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:01 pm Once again, we win lucky. Thats was really a horrible 2nd half.
I still don’t get how this is deemed “lucky”? We won the game. On a great final drive and big stop on defense. Isn’t that what a team is suppose to do in a close game? Finish with a great offensive drive and defense come up with a big stop?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:08 pm
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:01 pm Once again, we win lucky. Thats was really a horrible 2nd half.
I still don’t get how this is deemed “lucky”? We won the game. On a great final drive and big stop on defense. Isn’t that what a team is suppose to do in a close game? Finish with a great offensive drive and defense come up with a big stop?
Yeah, I'm not really seeing this one as "lucky" either. I think this was the most consistent football that the Vikings played this year. If the special teams plays like they did in the first four weeks, this game isn't close. And even with the ST stinker, two big plays (The Kirk INT and the Fields TD run) made this game closer than it should have been.

I see improvement in the offense, but not so much in the defense.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

A win is a win, of course. But how you get to that win is important too. The D is not good. The 3-4 isnt working or the DC doesnt know how to get it to work. I saw Hunter in coverage at least twice. Thats not how he should be playing.

The first half Cousins was on fire. He and JJ have a great connection. Even the run game looked good. But then in the second half, the bottom fell out. Right after Mooney (i think thats his name) made the awesome 1 handed catch. The offense sputtered for most of the rest of the game, until the Vikes got that last TD.

The Bears are a horrible team. But once again we made a bad QB look good. But I am not going to think about the negative stuff, I am just glad we are on the side of luck this year, unlike last year. And will be on my knees praying Tua doesnt play next week. Even though the Fins D is suspect.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:41 pm

A win is a win, of course. But how you get to that win is important too. The D is not good. The 3-4 isnt working or the DC doesnt know how to get it to work. I saw Hunter in coverage at least twice. Thats not how he should be playing.

The first half Cousins was on fire. He and JJ have a great connection. Even the run game looked good. But then in the second half, the bottom fell out. Right after Mooney (i think thats his name) made the awesome 1 handed catch. The offense sputtered for most of the rest of the game, until the Vikes got that last TD.

The Bears are a horrible team. But once again we made a bad QB look good. But I am not going to think about the negative stuff, I am just glad we are on the side of luck this year, unlike last year. And will be on my knees praying Tua doesnt play next week. Even though the Fins D is suspect.
I think Tua will be playing but Tyeek is in a walking boot so he might not play next week so it will help
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

I understand what you are saying. You are right in that way.

We were lucky. We dominated . Gave the lead away. Yes we made a great job to come back. As well as a great play by Dantzler. BuT IMO. Our only solid win was GB.

We best Detroit because of a bone head decision to go for that field goal instead of punting. We skated by a not very good team.

Our loss to the Eagles was ugly.

We blew a good lead we dominated and beat a not so good Bears team.

Skated by a not so great saints team,

If we played this way against a good team. Like KC, Buffalo, Cowboys, Rams, and a couple others. Even the Giants. We would likely be 1-4

My opinion. We would be lucky at 3-2

But I am happy to be 4-1. Lucky or not.... Got to enjoy when we can.