Vikings (1-0) at Eagles (1-0) MNF Week 2

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

soflavike
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings (1-0) at Eagles (1-0) MNF Week 2

Post by soflavike »

A lot of bad individual performances led to the loss last night.

JJ had a rough night... could not get separation and gave up on that one play that ended up intercepted in the end zone. He needs to get serious again. Thielen was missing in action until garbage time, but at least he showed he can still catch those tough sideline passes. They need to use AT more effectively than this. KJ contributed nicely... Reagor didn't do much.

Dalvin plain sucked. 6 rushes for 17 yds, 2.8 yds. per carry. That will not get it done. He caught 4 passes for 19 yds. Yawn. Nobody else ran the ball worth a damn, either... Cousins was our leading rusher with 20 yds. :rofl:

Irv played okay except on the big money play where he plain dropped a perfect, in-stride pass. :oops: That really hurt.

Cousins was erratic all night. Ball placement and timing were off, and then he added some desperation throws into the mix with predictably bad results. The Eagles had his number.

Our secondary looked slow and confused all night. Eagles receivers had acres of space and the tackling was bad. Bynum got carried into the end zone twice by Jalen Hurts. He had a particularly bad night. Harry didn't do much other than follow the play after the catch and tackle Eagles after they got first downs. Dantzler tries hard but he's too small. Patrick Peterson looked old and slow all night. Nice to see Evans get some plays in. We're gonna need him, Booth and Cine. It's a project.

The Eagles also ran through us with alarming ease all night (163 yds). Our D-line was porous against the run and the pass rush could not rattle Hurts (who played great all night). The LB's looked lost in the new scheme.

Special teams was the bright spot... our punter is a stud, coverage teams did great, we blocked a FG... Outstanding. :smilevike:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Hurts would carry about any safety into the end zone to be fair. If you are relying on your secondary players to stop him with a full head of steam...yikes..good luck. That's his strength.

I didn't realize that Kirk was leading rusher. Woof.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Cliff wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:07 am I've seen play-calling coming up as being bad to which I'd ask - how so? How can you tell a "bad" play call vs. the team not executing? Was it a "bad" running play call or was blocking terrible? Was it a "bad" passing play call or did someone drop it? Did the QB throw 3 INTs? Was it a bad defensive play call or did the CB blow his coverage?
As fans we are too quick to blame the game plan when the reality is, most of the time the failure is on the players just playing poorly.

This is an above average roster that has a lot of key players on the wrong side of 30 (Smith, Kendricks, Cook, PP, Smith, Thielen, Hicks). Last night is what happens when a very average roster plays a very good one most of the time, regardless of who is coaching.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Cliff wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:49 am I think the defense did better than they're getting credit for, really. The offense only ran 2:53 off the clock in the 1st quarter. After having been on the field most of the 1st quarter they broke down some in the second. Then, in the 2nd half, despite the offense giving up 3 interceptions they didn't allow another score.

This was, more than anything, a failure of the offense. Kirk Cousins was the leading rusher, so that tells you all you need to know about the running game. When they needed Kirk to step up most he threw 3 INTs instead. Irv Smith not being able to beat 1-on-1 coverage and dropping that big play hurt.
I felt like it was a failure of the defense in the first half, and a failure of the offense in the second. The Irv Smith drop happened in the first half, I realize, but everything was right about that play except for Smith dropping it. Protection was good, good decision by Cousins and a great throw. Just as the Watson drop changed the tenor of our first game against GB, the Smith drop changed everything for this game. But for me, the defense might as well have laid down in the first half. Philly gained 355 total yards in one half. Eagles receivers were running as free as Jefferson did against the Packers in Week 1. It was a horror show.

Agree with you on the second half. The defense was better. Not great, but they didn't allow any more points, and it didn't look to me like Philly was just trying to protect its lead. But the offense. Ugh. So many opportunities. How many times did we get in the red zone in the second half? Three? Four? We came away with nothing. Drive to the red zone. Nothing. We get the field goal block ... nothing. The interception by Hicks. Nothing. And once Philly began blitzing — all of it right up the A-gap where Bradbury and Ingram reside — Kirk got flustered big time. We had drops all over the place.

And do you guys realize ... the Vikings didn't even TARGET Adam Thielen until there was 11:32 remaining in the GAME.

Again, I said it earlier. The Vikings actually had opportunities to WIN this game, even being down 24-7 at the half. But they're gonna need a world class podiatrist because of all the times they shot themselves in the foot.

On to the Lions. This is a game we should win. But I'm not feeling terribly confident right now. I'll be in the stadium Sunday. In all the years I've gone to Vikings games, they've only lost once when I've been in attendance (and that was when Christian Ponder was QB). Let's hope my useless and totally irrelevant statistic holds up.

EDIT (CORRECTION): Cousins actually DID target Thielen before the fourth quarter ... on his second pick. Ugh.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Cliff wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:07 am I've seen play-calling coming up as being bad to which I'd ask - how so? How can you tell a "bad" play call vs. the team not executing? Was it a "bad" running play call or was blocking terrible? Was it a "bad" passing play call or did someone drop it? Did the QB throw 3 INTs? Was it a bad defensive play call or did the CB blow his coverage?
I mean one thing that sticks out is Donatell and the fact that it seemed like he was running the same defense over and over again. I honestly can’t even recall someone blitzing. It reminded me of madden where you just pick the same defense over and over.

In terms of offense, maybe not as much the play calls specifically but the overall game plan going in. I really thought we’d put some focus on others outside of JJ. They did with irv but not the others. They just didn’t have a good plan going into this game. That’s why I said I don’t think it matters who was at QB, I just don’t think they were properly prepared going in
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Plenty of bad to go all around, but the three worst plays in the first half came on the firstthree 3-and-outs. On all three of those plays, Cousin's predictably looked to a "safe" crossing route across the middle and defenders jumped them hard. The plays were probably designed with that as the first or second option, but sometimes the play design doesn't work, and you have to adapt. None of those passes to tightly covered receivers resulted in a 1st down. Those three first quarter turnovers put the vikings in very difficult position for the rest of the game.

In the second half, we have Kirk's 3 interceptions. They may or may not have been his worst plays...a few that weren't intercepted were at least equally bad throws.

I've always thought that Kirk requires things to go according to play in order to thrive, and I still believe that, but in his defense, his pairing with our feast or famine run game does him no favors. A physical run game that could get the vikings 3-4 yards consistently and every now and then pop a ten yard carry would serve Kirk's style of play much better. When we get physically dominated at the line, and off schedule, Kirk just absolutely sucks. His Jekyll and Hide act is related to this. When he can coast, take advantage of the play as it's designed, he can be really efficient and execute like a top tier QB. But when things get off-kilter, and he has to push beyond the play design to make something happen, he's among the worst QBs in the NFL. Maybe the single worst of all.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:58 am
I mean one thing that sticks out is Donatell and the fact that it seemed like he was running the same defense over and over again. I honestly can’t even recall someone blitzing. It reminded me of madden where you just pick the same defense over and over.

In terms of offense, maybe not as much the play calls specifically but the overall game plan going in. I really thought we’d put some focus on others outside of JJ. They did with irv but not the others. They just didn’t have a good plan going into this game. That’s why I said I don’t think it matters who was at QB, I just don’t think they were properly prepared going in
I can't comment on the defense overall. I do know that even if the players were aligned at the snap similarly it doesn't mean the plays were the same. JJ was the focus, which he should have been, but others were targeted. Smith, as you mentioned had 8 targets, but Thielen had 7 targets, Cook had 6 targets, Mattison had 5 targets.

Part of the problem was that the offense was so ineffective they didn't have the chance to do a ton more. The Eagles had the ball for nearly an entire quarter longer than the Vikings did. Part of that is on the defense for not stopping them but part of it is the offense passing a ton, which stops the clock, and not getting first downs.

I certainly think it matters who's at QB. Kirk has a reputation for getting rattled and he definitely was in the 2nd half. With all of the chances they got in the 2nd half the score should have at least been more competitive and Kirk was one of the big reasons it wasn't.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I feel like you could read this thread anytime over the last 3+ years and it would be the same issues. There's not a lot of common denominators over that span. I don't think Cousins was the sole reason they lost but $40M is just far too much for this guy. He has so many weapons and an OL made up of entirely 1st and 2nd round picks. At some point you need to show up. Look at what Tua and Wentz are doing with better levels of talent.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

S197 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:10 pm I feel like you could read this thread anytime over the last 3+ years and it would be the same issues. There's not a lot of common denominators over that span. I don't think Cousins was the sole reason they lost but $40M is just far too much for this guy. He has so many weapons and an OL made up of entirely 1st and 2nd round picks. At some point you need to show up. Look at what Tua and Wentz are doing with better levels of talent.
Wentz?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

S197 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:10 pm I feel like you could read this thread anytime over the last 3+ years and it would be the same issues. There's not a lot of common denominators over that span. I don't think Cousins was the sole reason they lost but $40M is just far too much for this guy. He has so many weapons and an OL made up of entirely 1st and 2nd round picks. At some point you need to show up. Look at what Tua and Wentz are doing with better levels of talent.
It's no secret, unless the running game gets going, Cousins is not going to get the team over the hump. It's definitely a broken record.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

OK, leave it to me to point out the rare positive in this game.

Our special teams rock. This guy Ryan Wright ... absolute bazooka for a leg. Long punts, and VERY high. Also love the little popup kickoff to the 10 yard line in the corner. The Eagles couldn't even get to the 20 on those kicks. Better than a touchback. Coverage was phenomenal on both kickoffs and punts. Not getting much in the return game yet, but both Nwangwu and Reagor are more than capable of breaking something.

Matt Daniels, special teams coordinator, might just be the next hot head coaching candidate. Even if he's not, this is the first time in years that I've felt totally comfortable with our special teams.

OK. Back to b!tching and complaining about getting our butts cut.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

CharVike wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:32 am
Texas Vike wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:10 am

My instincts were right: both the D (which I mentioned first) AND Cousins were the question. Flacco, Kyler Murray, Tua .... all led significant comebacks. Kirk just got rattled in crunch time. Again. I'm so done with him.

And our D did exactly as I feared: they couldn't handle Hurts' ability to run (or throw) and we were soft vs. the run.

The Lions are going to be a formidable opponent for this team.
I don't think your instincts were right week 1.
LOL, I couldn't remember so I went and checked. You would be wrong!!! I felt good ahead of the Packers game:
I like our chances, honestly.

I'm most worried about Bradbury taking on Kenny Clark. I would be nervous about our secondary taking on Rodgers, but GB's WRs are not likely up to snuff with him yet. It wouldn't totally shock me to see Lazard and Cobb step up, but I have relative confidence in our edge rush getting pressure on Rodgers. I'm a bit worried about our run D too. GB has two solid RBs.

On offense, I can't wait to see what KOC brings. The pack has a strong D, so this isn't an easy assignment first week. But I have a good feeling.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:29 pm
Wentz?
He is #1 in TD passes, #7 YPA, #6 passer rating and #2 in yards. It is probably not sustainable when the Commanders play teams that were not drafting in the top 5 last year, and he was helped out a bit by garbage time week 2, but he is playing better than he did in Indy. So far.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:58 am I mean one thing that sticks out is Donatell and the fact that it seemed like he was running the same defense over and over again. I honestly can’t even recall someone blitzing. It reminded me of madden where you just pick the same defense over and over.
I was shocked that the Vikings were in that soft zone coverage seemingly all game. Philly WRs were wide open everywhere and Hurts rarely had to make a contested throw.

Bynum was god-awful too. He seemed lost all game, and why he jumped that short route that was already covered while he let the Philly WR run straight past him deep is beyond me. I was a big Bynum fan prior to last night. After last night I'm hopeful Cine can get on the field and soon.
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:58 am In terms of offense, maybe not as much the play calls specifically but the overall game plan going in. I really thought we’d put some focus on others outside of JJ. They did with irv but not the others. They just didn’t have a good plan going into this game. That’s why I said I don’t think it matters who was at QB, I just don’t think they were properly prepared going in
The offense was terrible. Cousins looked scared most of the game, the Vikings couldn't run against a defense that got gashed by the Lions, and once again the Vikings offense under KOC can't convert on 3rd down to sustain drives (4-12 in this game after going 3-9 against the Packers and similar stats in every preseason game).

I kept thinking that the Vikings had this high powered, new age aggressive offensive scheme and the players to run it, and yet every time I watch them (including against the Packers), I see very little risk taken and an almost laser-like focus on short passes and safety. Yeah, there were a ton of drops last night and everyone played poorly, but come on KOC, where's the beef? All of this "collaborative" talk is great and all, but if this is an explosive offense I'm going to be the next president of the US. The Eagles showed exactly how you beat it, too - just send 6 guys and Cousins will float it and panic. If the DBs for the other team just spy him it's easy picks. Slay could have had 2 more interceptions by my count. Play after play there near the end of the game the Eagles just sent more than the Vikings could block and Cousins floated the ball right back to the Eagles. Vikings can't account for that? Nothing in the game plan to deal with max pressure? Cousins, after all of his years in the league, doesn't know how to handle that situation?

Embarrassing loss. It really does look like KOC's offense can't convert on 3rd and sustain drives. It is becoming a trend. The offense is uber conservative. Cousins won't throw past 10 yards unless it is wide open, and Philly showed how to not make it wide open. I suspect had the Packers done what Philly did, the offensive output would have been similar.

We'll see where things go from here, but this does not appear to be the team I hoped they were. The Lions are much better than people are giving them credit for. I would not be surprised at all to see them take it to the Vikings this Sunday.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

The Eagles Oline was 20 times better than the Vikings. And their Dline was better than ours. I think everyone knows how bad our secondary is, but our LBs couldnt do anything right. Kendricks is washed up, sad but true, and no one knows how to tackle. It was like the entire D was playing very cautiously, and not wanting to make a mistake instead of destroying the Eagles. Donatell seems to be a lot like Zimmer, sticking to a plan that just doesnt work. Also, Kirk wouldnt still be on this team if the Wilf's didnt influence the GM and HC's.