Vikings (1-0) at Eagles (1-0) MNF Week 2

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Foreman44
Transition Player

Re: Vikings (1-0) at Eagles (1-0) MNF Week 2

Post by Foreman44 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:44 pm Stop the run and win. If they can't stop the run I hope they sign Suh.
Should be a good test for our defense.

Hurts is not a passing QBs, he loves to run first. At least he did at Alabama. Saban wanted him to pass more. But running was his strength. A reason Tua took over as Baja’s starting QBs after Hurts got them to the national championship game.

This is a. Reason I have hope that Reagor will be a better WR than he has been with the Eagles. He is not. Jefferson. Would be nice if he could produce as a first round draft pick value
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

AJ Brown is a hell of a WR. We faced a receiving corps in the Pack that was among the worst in the NFL, so our secondary hasn't been tested yet. Hurts might be a better runner than a thrower, but he's shown he can hit guys down field too. He ran for 90 and threw for about 250 vs. the Lions.

I am very interested to see how our D holds up against the Eagles without having home field advantage, as they did vs. the Pack.

I expect a high scoring game that will go down to the wire. 38-35, Eagles. Sorry boys, until we prove we can hang with playoff teams in primetime, I remain a little skeptical (however, I am optimistic overall for this season). This will be a very hostile environment. I'll be watching how Kirk responds carefully.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:30 am AJ Brown is a hell of a WR. We faced a receiving corps in the Pack that was among the worst in the NFL, so our secondary hasn't been tested yet. Hurts might be a better runner than a thrower, but he's shown he can hit guys down field too. He ran for 90 and threw for about 250 vs. the Lions.

I am very interested to see how our D holds up against the Eagles without having home field advantage, as they did vs. the Pack.

I expect a high scoring game that will go down to the wire. 38-35, Eagles. Sorry boys, until we prove we can hang with playoff teams in primetime, I remain a little skeptical (however, I am optimistic overall for this season). This will be a very hostile environment. I'll be watching how Kirk responds carefully.
IIRC that was the score of the Eagles vs Detroit, but 73 is an extremely high number unlikely to be achieved. However, I recommend you place a bet on the Over for points which is at 50.5. That way you still win when the Eagles score 16 instead of 38.
Vikings 35-16. Honestly I'm expecting 27-20 so I guess I bet the under, but too close to call so I'll leave that one alone.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

I have a feeling if it is raining both teams will be running like crazy and this will be a FAST game. Who will control the clock and who has fewer TOs? Lets hope Cook and Mattison are ready to roll.

Vikes 27-21.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

Big opportunity for us early in the season. A game that could set the tone going forward. I'm not saying it's a must-win as it's a long season, but a win I feel would go a long ways for this team.

I say Vikes win 31-24
i'm ready for a beer.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

cmoss84 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:32 pm I have a feeling if it is raining both teams will be running like crazy and this will be a FAST game. Who will control the clock and who has fewer TOs? Lets hope Cook and Mattison are ready to roll.

Vikes 27-21.
I found this forecast for the weather at the Eagles stadium. Partly cloudy with 1% chance of precipitation at Kickoff topping out at 4% during the second half.
http://www.nflweather.com/en/game/2022/ ... -at-eagles

Than I found this forecast at 50% chance of rain.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/linco ... er=espn_gc
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:30 am AJ Brown is a hell of a WR. We faced a receiving corps in the Pack that was among the worst in the NFL, so our secondary hasn't been tested yet. Hurts might be a better runner than a thrower, but he's shown he can hit guys down field too. He ran for 90 and threw for about 250 vs. the Lions.

I agree, I think the Eagles can score 38, but im guessing the Vikings will be closer to 21 than 35. I like Cam but dont think he can handle AJ, and im pretty positive PP cant. It could get very ugly, a Monday night game doesnt suit us. I wonder what the MNF record is for us since Kirk came over, and what its been in the past 15 years or so.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:09 pm

I agree, I think the Eagles can score 38, but im guessing the Vikings will be closer to 21 than 35. I like Cam but dont think he can handle AJ, and im pretty positive PP cant. It could get very ugly, a Monday night game doesnt suit us. I wonder what the MNF record is for us since Kirk came over, and what its been in the past 15 years or so.
According to this site that I've never seen and am looking to backup, the Vikings have a pretty bad record on Monday night.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/what-t ... all-record
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

7-21 loss vs Seahawks

30-37 loss vs Seahawks
23-10 loss vs Packers

19-13 Win Over Bears (Kirk Cousins first ever Monday Night win)

17-9 Win over Bears

Kirk is 2-9 on Monday night in his career (worst percentage among active QBs, 2nd worst in NFL history).
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Cliff wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:23 pm
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:09 pm

According to this site that I've never seen and am looking to backup, the Vikings have a pretty bad record on Monday night.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/what-t ... all-record
Past performance on Monday Night could have some meaning, but it shouldn't. This is a very different team from those. The time and day should be irrelevant.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Cliff wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:29 pm 2018
7-21 loss vs Seahawks

30-37 loss vs Seahawks
23-10 loss vs Packers

17-9 Win over Bears

Kirk is 2-9 on Monday night in his career (worst percentage among active QBs, 2nd worst in NFL history).
That information and $6 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. It should have no bearing on who wins tonight.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Cliff wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:29 pm Kirk is 2-9 on Monday night in his career (worst percentage among active QBs, 2nd worst in NFL history).
Unless Cousins is unbelievably unlucky it's most likely he'll revert to the mean, which plays more in his favor.

The Vikings under Zimmer got a reputation (IMHO) as chokers in big games, be those primetime appearances or playoff appearances. It was the whole team and the coaching staff and not just Cousins that choked.

This is where we'll see if KOC really brought a new approach and attitude most likely. How does the team respond if the Eagles get ahead or get a few breaks with the refs? How do they handle the moment? Can they settle down and play their game even if the Eagles get some momentum? Can they adjust to and negate something Philly is doing that they didn't plan for?

These are all things that the Zimmer-led Vikings along with Kirk didn't do very well over the last several years. When those teams ran into some adversity against the better teams, they shrunk from the moment. So the burden on this team is to show that they can rise to the moment and overcome those challenges and put their opponent on the back foot.

It's not going to be an easy place to play and the spotlight will be bright on this team. I'm looking forward to watching a Vikings team that shines under that light. I hope that is what we see tonight, and I hope Cousins shines the brightest.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I honestly don't have a strong opinion about the stats, someone was just curious about them.

I know that nearly every team Kirk has been on has been "middle of the road" so you would expect his record to be a little better but it is what it is.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Cliff wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:29 pm 2018
7-21 loss vs Seahawks

30-37 loss vs Seahawks
23-10 loss vs Packers

17-9 Win over Bears

Or a person can look at it this way …

Kirk is on a 2-game winning streak on Monday night.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Interesting.

You should know that Cousins’ career record against the Eagles is excellent.

He’s 6-3, hitting on 67.1% of his passes for 306 yards per game at 8.1 YPA, with 21 TDs against 6 picks.

I honestly don’t think Cousins is the question. The Vikings’ defense is. Jalen Hurts has too many mechanical issues as a passer to beat the Vikings from the pocket. They have to contain him playing off script and scrambling. At the same time, the back end can’t let A.J. Brown go crazy. Contain Hurts, and I’m confident the offense will hold up its end. We have to remember … while we stymied the Packers, this is still much the same defensive personnel as last year. To me, the jury is still out on that side of the ball. We were really good defensively against the Packers, but that was at home. Do it on the road, and I think we can start dreaming a little.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.