Vikings vs. Packers Postgame

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings vs. Packers Postgame

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:46 am That was a fun game. The defense it finally playing proactively. Years of watching our guys play reactively on that side made bringing that intensity on that side of the ball pretty satisfying.

Areas of concern include Dalvin Cook for me. He didn't look like himself. I'm not predicting it yet, but I'm preparing myself for the possibility of his premature demise. He didn't look explosive or physical or nearly as quick to me.
Consider this about Cook.

The Vikings passed to set up the run.

Let that sink in for a minute. When was the last time the Minnesota Vikings did that?

As Judd Zulgad put it, Cook, Thielen, Osborn, everybody else, even Cousins — they were the rhythm section yesterday. Necessary to the band, but not the lead. Jefferson was the lead.

And hey, Cook still had 90 yards, 4.5 yards per carry, and 108 total yards. At worst, he got a nice 16-bar bass solo.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:01 am
fiestavike wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:46 am That was a fun game. The defense it finally playing proactively. Years of watching our guys play reactively on that side made bringing that intensity on that side of the ball pretty satisfying.

Areas of concern include Dalvin Cook for me. He didn't look like himself. I'm not predicting it yet, but I'm preparing myself for the possibility of his premature demise. He didn't look explosive or physical or nearly as quick to me.

Let that sink in for a minute. When was the last time the Minnesota Vikings did that?

As Judd Zulgad put it, Cook, Thielen, Osborn, everybody else, even Cousins — they were the rhythm section yesterday. Necessary to the band, but not the lead. Jefferson was the lead.

And hey, Cook still had 90 yards, 4.5 yards per carry, and 108 total yards. At worst, he got a nice 16-bar bass solo.
The production was fine, he just didn't look like himself to me.

Meanwhile, one other area of concern, the Packers may well have won this game if they hadn't mysteriously abandoned the run.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:55 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:34 am

Was going to say the same about Smith and Hicks. Smith was an absolute force up front with Danielle. I love how those two literally just rush from anywhere. And yeah I think Hicks was a very underrated signing. He was all over the field and is just a tackling machine. I thought Phillips was very stout in the middle too.

It's absolutely crazy the difference you see in this team already simply due to the new culture. Not only did the new regime bring this with them, they also brought in guys like Phillips, Hicks and Smith who are HUGE culture guys themselves. Bringing in impact players with the right mindset. Cant ask for much better than that.

This just goes to show how much Zimmer had this team in the tank. The more stories you hear, the worse it sounds. For those that didnt listen to the Purple Daily podcast last week, Alex Boone was on and told some Zim stories. It was pretty bad. I mean outside of Deion Sanders, the next closest "Zim guy" was probably Terrance Newman and he even came out shredding him.

I've always said this team has the talent. It showed Sunday. They just needed the right leadership in place and the sky is the limit. Granted it's only 1 week, but starting off the year absolutely dominating Rodgers and the Packers in all phases is exactly what every Vikings fan dreamed to happen
The articles they were quoting were written by a guy named Tyler Dunne, who actually was a Packers beat writer for some time. This dude is as good as they come in the journalism world. He's got plenty of unnamed sources in the series, but the fact that he got Terence Newman to go on the record ABOUT HIS GUY tells you a lot.

The basic gist was that nobody — players, coaches, secretaries, you name it — enjoyed going to work under Zimmer the past two years. The hot seat affected Mike Zimmer perhaps more than any coach in recent memory. At one point, when the media criticized him, he went on a tirade, basically screaming, "F--k it! I guess they can just fire me. I'll collect a big check and go home to my ranch." Another coach (unnamed, but an offensive coordinator, and the math points directly to John DeFilippo) said the Vikings would be great "now that Satan has left the building."

Interestingly, another said that Zimmer "hated Cousins." That was a quote. So you can imagine — couple Zimmer's paranoia about being fired with his hatred for Cousins — when Cousins yelled, "I just saved your f--king job!" at Zimmer at the end of the Lions win, it's not a stretch to think that Zimmer really WAS going after Cousins to fight him.

All that aside, Kevin O'Connell, according to the articles, is all about PLAYER OWNERSHIP. He wants the players to buy in and own the team, and he's doing everything he can to make that happen. In short, that's empowerment. An expert on leadership that I admire greatly once said, "The best type of leader is an EMPOWERING LEADER. An empowering leader CREATES OTHER LEADERS." I believe that's what O'Connell is trying to do. He WANTS guys like Za'Darius Smith and Kirk Cousins leading the troops. You saw it yesterday with Cousins, who sought out the Wilfs after the game and got permission to give both KAM and KOC a game ball in the locker room. Watch the video ... it choked me up. Mike Zimmer would NEVER empower Cousins like that. O'Connell is doing it, and I'm excited to see the fruit once it's all said and done.

Don't know how this is all going to end up, but I sense this ... we're in for a season unlike any we've had in the past several years. We may not win it all, but it's gonna be fun. God knows I'm ready for some fun with Vikings football.
Great post.

In my previous life I was a director of college student employees - anywhere between 20-50 students. I was of the KOC ilk where I believed I would get the best out of the students if they felt empowered to do what's best for the team and lead from within. Other directors across campus managed like Zimmer and, sure, they had temporary moments of greatness but nothing long-term and nothing intrinsic. It's the intrinsic motivation that creates the most success (both team and individual) and that's the hardest motivation to find.

Hope this attitude and leadership continues through the bad games too. We're not going 20-0 and the way we bounce back from our first loss will tell us a lot about the team and new leadership.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Great win. Have to be cautiously optimistic about this team.

Defense had some good moments, still worried about the run d.

No real complaints about scoring 17 points in the first half, but only two field goals total in the 2nd half does concern me a bit. Jefferson, Cousins, and Cook all played amazing to great, but Thielen and Irv Smith were MIA. Irv may be an injury thing but with all the attention JJ is drawing, AT should be doing more than 36 yards. You still didn't feel the lead was that safe before Kendricks tipped that ball in the end zone. Felt like we just let the Packers stick around and have a chance all the way until the last few minutes.

It's only game 1, things look better than last year, just trying to temper my own expectations. :govikes:
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Suh would shore up the run D real fast.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

How Fun was that ?

Post by chicagopurple »

When was the last time that the Viking Game was a better executed game than a Tom Brady led team? The Vikes were effficient (few penalties and errors), aggressive on both sides of the ball, and well prepared. I havent felt that way in years. Clock management was logical as opposed to comically confused. I really wonder how much of Cousins on field screw ups really were due to an out dated coaching staff? You all know I have had zero interest in Cousins, no hope for him. This is just one game but things really DID look much improved and this was an important game for Cousins to perform...he didnt crumple.....I guess I will be buying my NFL GameDay package this year.....SKOL
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

I was a little worried that we would start slow given the lack of production in the pre season, but I was glad to be wrong about that. Smith and Hicks played very well, and the team performed well in all three phases.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:09 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:01 am

Meanwhile, one other area of concern, the Packers may well have won this game if they hadn't mysteriously abandoned the run.
The Pukers aren't on our level and weren't going to win this game no way no how.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Crax wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:53 am Great win. Have to be cautiously optimistic about this team.

Defense had some good moments, still worried about the run d.

No real complaints about scoring 17 points in the first half, but only two field goals total in the 2nd half does concern me a bit. Jefferson, Cousins, and Cook all played amazing to great, but Thielen and Irv Smith were MIA. Irv may be an injury thing but with all the attention JJ is drawing, AT should be doing more than 36 yards. You still didn't feel the lead was that safe before Kendricks tipped that ball in the end zone. Felt like we just let the Packers stick around and have a chance all the way until the last few minutes.

It's only game 1, things look better than last year, just trying to temper my own expectations. :govikes:
In the 2nd half it was play not to lose mode 100%. Punting from the 50 with 2 yards to go may or may not have been the right choice, but it was without question a super conservative choice. Analytics pretty much show it's always the wrong choice to punt from midfield or closer.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

A couple of quick observations on the win:

- Vikings defense was a bit spotty. They got good pressure generally, but also gave up a few big plays (or plays that could have been big). Run defense was spotty too. I see great potential in the defense, though. They should have a good pass rush and just need to clean up the assignments a bit.

- Vikings offense was good, especially since that Packers defense might be one of the better ones they face all year. The offensive line had a few breakdowns, but if they had dominated that Packer defensive front I would have been shocked. Overall, the OL was solid and effective, and that is a very encouraging sign.

- Cousins played well. He was uncomfortable at times, which again is largely because the Packers have a good front, but I felt he hung in well and made some key throws. He looked in control of the offense as well.

- The kicking game overall looks light years better than last year. The punter left nothing to chance with booming high kicks and Joseph nailed his career long no problem.

- Anybody else impressed when Reagor shook off the Packer tackler on that one return? I had visions of AP there. Would have been great if he returned that for a score, but I liked the moxie.

- Great opener for KOC and the team overall. Packers injuries on offense showed as did their lack of an established receiving corps, but that Packer defense was an excellent test and I think the Vikings offense and KOC passed with flying colors. Should be a real confidence builder heading into the next game.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

TSonn wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:20 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:55 am
The articles they were quoting were written by a guy named Tyler Dunne, who actually was a Packers beat writer for some time. This dude is as good as they come in the journalism world. He's got plenty of unnamed sources in the series, but the fact that he got Terence Newman to go on the record ABOUT HIS GUY tells you a lot.

The basic gist was that nobody — players, coaches, secretaries, you name it — enjoyed going to work under Zimmer the past two years. The hot seat affected Mike Zimmer perhaps more than any coach in recent memory. At one point, when the media criticized him, he went on a tirade, basically screaming, "F--k it! I guess they can just fire me. I'll collect a big check and go home to my ranch." Another coach (unnamed, but an offensive coordinator, and the math points directly to John DeFilippo) said the Vikings would be great "now that Satan has left the building."

Interestingly, another said that Zimmer "hated Cousins." That was a quote. So you can imagine — couple Zimmer's paranoia about being fired with his hatred for Cousins — when Cousins yelled, "I just saved your f--king job!" at Zimmer at the end of the Lions win, it's not a stretch to think that Zimmer really WAS going after Cousins to fight him.

All that aside, Kevin O'Connell, according to the articles, is all about PLAYER OWNERSHIP. He wants the players to buy in and own the team, and he's doing everything he can to make that happen. In short, that's empowerment. An expert on leadership that I admire greatly once said, "The best type of leader is an EMPOWERING LEADER. An empowering leader CREATES OTHER LEADERS." I believe that's what O'Connell is trying to do. He WANTS guys like Za'Darius Smith and Kirk Cousins leading the troops. You saw it yesterday with Cousins, who sought out the Wilfs after the game and got permission to give both KAM and KOC a game ball in the locker room. Watch the video ... it choked me up. Mike Zimmer would NEVER empower Cousins like that. O'Connell is doing it, and I'm excited to see the fruit once it's all said and done.

Don't know how this is all going to end up, but I sense this ... we're in for a season unlike any we've had in the past several years. We may not win it all, but it's gonna be fun. God knows I'm ready for some fun with Vikings football.
Great post.

In my previous life I was a director of college student employees - anywhere between 20-50 students. I was of the KOC ilk where I believed I would get the best out of the students if they felt empowered to do what's best for the team and lead from within. Other directors across campus managed like Zimmer and, sure, they had temporary moments of greatness but nothing long-term and nothing intrinsic. It's the intrinsic motivation that creates the most success (both team and individual) and that's the hardest motivation to find.

Hope this attitude and leadership continues through the bad games too. We're not going 20-0 and the way we bounce back from our first loss will tell us a lot about the team and new leadership.
Great post yourself!

This leadership expert has a descriptor for the Zimmer type of leader … DOMINEERING. Here’s what he says: “Domineering leaders produce COMPLIANT followers.” The domineering leader is the “my way or the highway” guy. And you’re right, his ways work at first, especially in an organization that is in disarray. He whips the team into shape, and they perform well … for awhile. But what happens when the newness wears off? What happens when things go bad? What happens when the followers get tired of constantly being ridiculed, or routinely fearing for their jobs? It all goes south. Eventually, the followers do what they’re told simply as a means of survival. But their hearts aren’t in it. They’re not giving their best. They don’t have the next man’s back. Instead, they’re giving just enough to keep from getting slammed or fired.

Nothing could describe the last two years of Zimmer’s tenure better than that … a locker room full of talented players whose hearts weren’t into what they were doing. Who, as some have said, hated going to work every day. Who were just trying to survive.

People can laugh at the idea of “culture” all they want, but it’s probably the single most important trait KOC brings to this team. He wants them to own it, and to lead from within. You saw it yesterday. Green Bay was outclassed and overmatched. Some very talented guys gave a damn for the first time in several years. That bodes well for the rest of the season. And yes, things will go bad at some point. But I have more confidence than ever that the team can find a way to pull itself out. The Rams didn’t win a game in the entire month of November last year, yet they walked away with The Prize. That’s the kind of culture I want for our Vikings.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:30 pm A couple of quick observations on the win:

- Vikings defense was a bit spotty. They got good pressure generally, but also gave up a few big plays (or plays that could have been big). Run defense was spotty too. I see great potential in the defense, though. They should have a good pass rush and just need to clean up the assignments a bit.

- Vikings offense was good, especially since that Packers defense might be one of the better ones they face all year. The offensive line had a few breakdowns, but if they had dominated that Packer defensive front I would have been shocked. Overall, the OL was solid and effective, and that is a very encouraging sign.

- Cousins played well. He was uncomfortable at times, which again is largely because the Packers have a good front, but I felt he hung in well and made some key throws. He looked in control of the offense as well.

- The kicking game overall looks light years better than last year. The punter left nothing to chance with booming high kicks and Joseph nailed his career long no problem.

- Anybody else impressed when Reagor shook off the Packer tackler on that one return? I had visions of AP there. Would have been great if he returned that for a score, but I liked the moxie.

- Great opener for KOC and the team overall. Packers injuries on offense showed as did their lack of an established receiving corps, but that Packer defense was an excellent test and I think the Vikings offense and KOC passed with flying colors. Should be a real confidence builder heading into the next game.
I'm glad someone mentioned that punter. The kid came through game one and a 56 yard FG is a monster. The defense had a great game but the Pack were missing both starting OTs. That's hard on any team. For us they took advantage of the opportunity which is a positive. Hitting the road against a playoff team in prime time will be another challenge. That will be a hard one.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

VikingsFan84 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:33 pm I said Vikings would lose but I am glad to be wrong, I will gladly eat crow if anyone would serve me and the best part of this win is Jefferson and harrassing Rodgers today!
glad u were wrong also. They say there is always a first time
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:52 pm Just got done watching the game on delay (was playing golf).

All I can say is, "THAT WAS AWESOME!"

My wife put it really well. "It's so fun to watch Aaron Rodgers so frustrated." You got that right, baby!

The offense in the first half ... just about unstoppable. In the second half, the run game took over. Guys, the O-line did a very underrated job. Kirk only sacked once, and we ended up with 126 yards on the ground.

Of course, Justin Jefferson ... there are no words. The PI call on him was bullsh!t, and he barely missed making an incredible TD grab. Other than that, the guy caught every other target. He was otherworldly. And I have a feeling we ain't seen nothin' yet.

Kirk was very solid. Good command of the new offense, good decisions, good accuracy. A couple of times he avoided sacks with little moves in the pocket and made completions downfield. Michael Irvin and Kyle Brandt have predicted him as MVP. Don't know about that (JJ may have something to say) but he was really good today.

Greg Joseph. I'm believing the hype. Great job. Seriously great job ... field goals, extra points and kickoffs. Hit the bomb from 56.

And the defense. WHAT? Guys, three teams in the NFL thus far have scored fewer than 10 points. The Jets (no surprise), the Patriots (not a surprise to me with Matt Patricia calling plays) and THE PUKERS with back-to-back MVP Erin Rodgers. And here's the best part ... with 195 yards, Rodgers piled up garbage numbers in the way people say Kirk Cousins does.

Rodgers out-Cousinsed Kirk Cousins!

The pass rush was bad a$$. DBs did their jobs. Linebackers ... Jordan Hicks quietly had FOURTEEN TACKLES. Kendricks had an amazing pass breakup. Harry with a pick. Two turnovers by Rodgers. Hats off to Ed Donatell.

Sorry guys. I'm just a giddy 62-year-old. Best I've seen the Vikings play in years. First place in the division. I know it's only one week, but it feels GOOD!
Nothing is finer than seeing Rodgers a whiner.i hope his whole season is like that
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:29 am
fiestavike wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:09 am

The Pukers aren't on our level and weren't going to win this game no way no how.
There was definitely a point in the game when AJ Dillon was running very effectively and the vikings offense was playing it a bit closer to vest. That was a dangerous moment, but the packers bailed the vikings out by suddenly going to the passing attack. Time was getting to be a factor and they didn't have all day, but I think that was a mistake for them. Glad they made that decision instead of pounding away with Dillon.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins