Vikings vs. Packers Postgame

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Vikings CrucifiXS
Rookie

Re: Vikings vs. Packers Postgame

Post by Vikings CrucifiXS »

I'm always ecstatic to see a FudgePackers loss.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:51 pm
Cliff wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:36 pm

Shifting focus in the 2nd half from scoring to running clock with a significant lead is not something Mike Zimmer invented and it's an excellent strategy. The problem is most Mike Zimmer led teams had big trouble actually making first downs and running the clock in those situations. If your offense can actually keep drives alive, like the Vikings did last week, there's no problem at all with the philosophy.
That's not what people have been endorsing, on this and other forums I have read, for the last several years. We as a whole have been saying if the lead is 20 go for 30, if the lead is 30 go for 40, step on their throats, go for the jugular, kick them while they're down etc.. etc... etc....

The result this time was a very boring 2nd half, but a nice win. I'm happy. It made me money :point:
I don't recall it being a consensus position but people do like to see their team score 40 points. My problem was Zimmer teams got conservative and tried to hold a 1 score lead. A 3 score lead is a bit of a different story.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Where I struggled with the old philosophy was the idea to keep games close. I like to see a little more go for the throat when you have an opportunity in professional sports. However shortening the game isn't a new idea and many coaches do it.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:54 pm
Foreman44 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:10 pm
I agree Cliff
We won. Rodgers was screaming and upset most of the game. It wasn’t like last years being close nail biter losses. I was somewhat calm second half this game. Felt kind of nice for a change...

if we won 35-7. Some would find reasons to complain.

Offensively maybe GB is going to miss Adams more than they hoped"
I understand defensively they have talent. Getting stronger.But we moved better against there defense.than they did ours.

I am happy with my Vikings. I will be satisfied with a duplicate of last game against the Eagles
I'd have been happier with 41-0. I'll settle for the 23-7. I'll be very happy with a 23-7 win over the Iggles.
I will also
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

makila wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:59 am Where I struggled with the old philosophy was the idea to keep games close. I like to see a little more go for the throat when you have an opportunity in professional sports. However shortening the game isn't a new idea and many coaches do it.
What I didn't like was the underlying acceptance of an assumption that winning in the NFL is always hard and winning by a point is the same as winning by 50 points. Winning by a point is the same record as winning by 50, but not the same moxie or attitude. There is always doubt underlying accepting an assumption like that.

Good teams have some attitude to them. Great teams are all attitude. Good teams come into a game believing they are better. Great teams come in knowing it. To get to great, you have to start with good, and to be good, you have to start believing you can beat teams by comfortable margins. The wider the margins and more comfortable the wins, the more you start to believe. The more difficult the challenges you overcome, the more you start to know.

Tonight is a great opportunity for KOC and the Vikings to show they believe.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »