Vikings trade 7th round pick for Raiders' QB Nick Mullens

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings trade 7th round pick for Raiders' QB Nick Mullens

Post by CharVike »

Texas Vike wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:24 pm https://twitter.com/christomasson/statu ... 2379128832

Looks like Mullens isn't playing tonight. I guess they have seen enough from him to feel confident he's our #2. My read is that Mannion and Mond might be fighting for a practice squad spot, at best.

Cuts are tomorrow, right? We will know how it all shakes out soon enough.
Aug. 30: 80 to 53 players. Tuesday.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Texas Vike wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:34 am Something that has changed in the last 5 or so years is the way teams are looking at and using preseason games.
My son says the same thing you're saying, so I'm going to listen to both of you and chill out and not worry about it. :govikes:
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingLord wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:07 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:34 am Something that has changed in the last 5 or so years is the way teams are looking at and using preseason games.
My son says the same thing you're saying, so I'm going to listen to both of you and chill out and not worry about it. :govikes:
I think McVay is sort of leading the charge here, and it's a copycat league... and KOC obviously came from that tree. I heard during the Broncos game that the Bills played their starters, however, so not everyone is doing it the "new" way. Cool that your kid watches games, mine couldn't care less! :lol: Then again, maybe that will save him from the heartache we've experienced.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

I personally think Kirk needs a few series in preseason games, even if its with the seconds. He cant come out flat agaisnt the Packers in the first season game.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Texas Vike wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:24 pm
VikingLord wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:07 pm

I think McVay is sort of leading the charge here, and it's a copycat league... and KOC obviously came from that tree. I heard during the Broncos game that the Bills played their starters, however, so not everyone is doing it the "new" way. Cool that your kid watches games, mine couldn't care less! :lol: Then again, maybe that will save him from the heartache we've experienced.
My son *and* daughter are Vikings fans... Not sure how that happened but they are both going to be sitting in Row 3 at the Bank for the home opener against the Packers... I told them if the Vikings lose I won't blame KOC or Cousins, but both of them for not getting hyped enough... :lol:
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

We got Mullen’s as a back up.nBut still feel we should draft a qb annually.

QBs are such a big gamble. For every Mahomes ,Hebert there’s a bunch of ponders, I will add Mond. Look at Cleveland. We got cousins now. But how long. Mond didn’t work, Stanley didn’t, but I believe one has to keep trying. When cousins is done. We need one to come in.

I guess one can gamble We can can get a stud with a couple firsts. But unfortunately this gamble would probably cost top 3

Without a top qb it’s rare a team is going anywhere
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Foreman44 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:10 pm We got Mullen’s as a back up.nBut still feel we should draft a qb annually.

QBs are such a big gamble. For every Mahomes ,Hebert there’s a bunch of ponders, I will add Mond. Look at Cleveland. We got cousins now. But how long. Mond didn’t work, Stanley didn’t, but I believe one has to keep trying. When cousins is done. We need one to come in.

I guess one can gamble We can can get a stud with a couple firsts. But unfortunately this gamble would probably cost top 3

The last regime certainly didnt know how to draft a QB. I am hoping this one does.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:05 pm
Foreman44 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:10 pm We got Mullen’s as a back up.nBut still feel we should draft a qb annually.

The last regime certainly didnt know how to draft a QB. I am hoping this one does.
IMO, it’s the biggest gamble. More fail than succeed. How many super star QBs have we drafted in 60 yrs? I agree with you on R.S. Choices
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

The last regime? How about the last 40 years? Vikings have not had a franchise quarterback since Tarkenton
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

VikingsFan84 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:14 pm

The last regime? How about the last 40 years? Vikings have not had a franchise quarterback since Tarkenton
You are right.maybe culpepper had he not messed up his knee
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Foreman44 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:11 pm
VikingsFan84 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:14 pm

I have never thought of Culpepper as a franchise quarterback, he just did not play long enough and was on bad terms with the Vikings :confused:
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

VikingsFan84 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:09 pm

I have never thought of Culpepper as a franchise quarterback, he just did not play long enough and was on bad terms with the Vikings :confused:
Maybe not. But probably best after Fran. Was Brad Johnson a Viking draft pick.?
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Foreman44 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:46 pm

Maybe not. But probably best after Fran. Was Brad Johnson a Viking draft pick.?
Yes he was, Brad was decent and I have always liked him
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Culpepper wasn't on bad teams. He had two HOF WR's and R Smith sitting back there. Plus his OL was very good. Birk at center, Dixon and Stringer on the right and Stuessie and Lacina. Dixon and Stringer were over 700 ILBs and that was decades ago. They wore teams out. Pep was a mental midget and that did him in. The Giants confused him easily when he was shut out in the 2001 champ game. Moss made stiff QBs look good. That's a lot of O talent no matter how you slice it.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

CharVike wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:31 pm

Culpepper wasn't on bad teams. He had two HOF WR's and R Smith sitting back there. Plus his OL was very good. Birk at center, Dixon and Stringer on the right and Stuessie and Lacina. Dixon and Stringer were over 700 ILBs and that was decades ago. They wore teams out. Pep was a mental midget and that did him in. The Giants confused him easily when he was shut out in the 2001 champ game. Moss made stiff QBs look good. That's a lot of O talent no matter how you slice it.
No, I mean terms, not teams, Culpepper wanted out after Vikings wanted him to rehabilitate in Minnesota because they were not satisfied with his level of treatment in Florida so Culpepper refused their request and asked Vikings to trade him or release him so he went out on bad terms