Vikings Training Camp 2022

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings Training Camp 2022

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:26 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:53 am Friday camp notes.
Hicks had a big day picking off a Cousins throw
Lewis Cine made some nice coverage plays. Should be some 3 safety packages. The cream is rising.
Darrisaw has something wrong with arm Holder Oli took over. Not sure about injury.
Davidson got open deep but dropped the pass. At least he's getting time and showing something which is good for the 2nd yr guy who was a major project.
Mond isn't providing much of a push for the No 2 spot.
Osborne is having a great camp. Playing slot and wide
Would be nice to see Osborne just outright win that WR 3 spot. He made some nice splash plays last year and seems like a guy who has the potential to put it together and become a factor in his own right.

Not really surprised on Mond to be honest. While I liked his mobility and tight throwing motion coming out of college, he never displayed much of an ability to process the field quickly from what I remember watching his highlight clips and reading about him. If he is going to develop that, hopefully we'll see some signs of it or he has journeyman written all over him.

I'm kind of excited about what I'm hearing about the Vikings DBs in general so far. Bynum looks like he's put in the work to get on the field and win the starting safety spot opposite Smith. Booth and Dantzler are both making some noise as well. Would be nice to finally see some surprise to the upside in the secondary this year.

Also liking what I'm seeing and hearing from the defensive linemen, especially in the middle. Health is going to be a factor for pretty much every player on that starting unit, but if they can stay healthy they look like the real deal.

I was hopeful the defense would improve compared to least season where they had a lot of injuries and just weren't very good, but I didn't expect them to be much better than middle-of-the-pack overall. I'd say if this group stays healthy they can be a top ten defense. And you put a top ten defense up with this offense and the Vikings just might have something cooking this year finally.
Health is No 1. Mond is in trouble of making the squad. The DBs have looked better and since they will be going more zone it may help. Dantlzer has had a good camp. PP looks like a new guy. You have to give Bynum credit. He got some time last year and has that under his belt which is a tremendous help. I think the D will get to middle of the pack. Just getting Hunter back will make that happen. There's still 3 weeks and I'm sure things will shake out more. Ingram at G has been stepping up also. At least he has an anchor and won't be pushed all over the place but I expect Reed to start. Being a vet is a big help against a rookie.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Notes from Monday
Zach Davidson caught a TD.
Akayleb Evans didn't practice because of an injury.
Lewis Cine had an excused absence
Harrison Phillips and Danielle Hunter also looked very strong against the run, and Hunter got into the backfield with multiple pressures and possibly a sack.
In the secondary, Patrick Peterson made a nice play with an end zone pass breakup against Adam Thielen.
Asamoah had a play
Booth nearly had 2 interceptions but he drew a flag on both
Armon Watts is going to be a big part of the Vikings' defensive line this year
Mannion and Mond not much again. Mond dropped another shot gun snap. That needs to be a given at this point in his career
https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/vik ... ellen-mond
Last edited by CharVike on Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

CharVike wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:54 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:58 am
Can't make judgments off a single play. We will learn how good both Booth and Nailor are during camp and into the season.
You can pick one rep out on any player and make the guy look bad. Then you can pick a play like this.
Kyle Hamilton made an impressive play during Monday's practice that he hopes to replicate many times this fall.
The rookie safety covered plenty of ground for his first interception of training camp, reacting quickly to a Tyler Huntley pass and cutting in front of Shemar Bridges. Hamilton showed off more athleticism after the interception, zig-zagging about 30 yards downfield on the return before he was touched down by Jaylon Moore.
Of course Huntley sucks so of course it means nothing.
It means a little, but Huntley very much sucks.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:28 am
CharVike wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:54 am
You can pick one rep out on any player and make the guy look bad. Then you can pick a play like this.
Kyle Hamilton made an impressive play during Monday's practice that he hopes to replicate many times this fall.
The rookie safety covered plenty of ground for his first interception of training camp, reacting quickly to a Tyler Huntley pass and cutting in front of Shemar Bridges. Hamilton showed off more athleticism after the interception, zig-zagging about 30 yards downfield on the return before he was touched down by Jaylon Moore.
Of course Huntley sucks so of course it means nothing.
So who is worse, Huntley or Mannion?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingsFan84 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:49 am
I suppose the conventional wisdom to that question is Manion, but notice how you worded it. Not who is better, but who is worse. It means little, but little is more than nothing.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Determining suck worthiness is impossible because there are too many variables involved.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:53 am

Determining suck worthiness is impossible because there are too many variables involved.
Suck worthiness is measured in suckitude. In a sentence "My best friend Ken holds the record for the highest level of suckitude ever recorded at 989,896."
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Whats maybe worse, is Mond. Mannion is horrible, no one wants him being the QB even for a minute. Luckily Kirk isnt injury prone (knock on wood), he is the opposite of that. But Mond should have been the clear cut winner by now in the QB2. :govikes:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Word around camp is that Christian Darrisaw is looking extremely good.

From Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated:
The Vikings are pretty high on tackle Christian Darrisaw. How high? Well, while Darrisaw has a ways to go to get to his level, the staff here sees shades of Trent Williams in his build and movement skills. The feeling is he’s got a chance to make a significant leap this year, perhaps into the upper echelon at his position.

Ian Rapoport:
They think [Darrisaw] is going to be really, really good. It seems to me, based on the people I’ve spoken with, he’s already exceeded the expectations of those who are already on the staff. The comparison I get here—no one is saying that Darrisaw is him right now—Trent Williams.

Danielle Hunter:
He took a big leap from year 1 to year 2. He’s not the same player he was last year. The potential is limitless.

Kevin O'Connell:
The strength, he’s got great feet, he’s got the length to play that position. It’s tough with some of the rushers they have to go against, but I think it’s an underrated thing we don’t talk about enough – the game makes sense to him.

He’s not one of those guys that needs to be told every little thing, every little adjustment. He naturally sometimes just does things based upon the right play – the smart way to hit a block, how to pass off a stunt – just understanding how we want to execute in the screen game, the play-pass game. I couldn’t be more excited about where he’s at right now.

Obviously we'll see about all this once the games begin for real. But based on what I'm hearing, I'm cautiously optimistic about our left tackle.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:29 pm Whats maybe worse, is Mond. Mannion is horrible, no one wants him being the QB even for a minute. Luckily Kirk isnt injury prone (knock on wood), he is the opposite of that. But Mond should have been the clear cut winner by now in the QB2. :govikes:
The entire take on Mannion was that Packer game he started. Yes he looked like crap. Cook and JJ didn't pick up their game either and looked terrible. That game came down to getting totally dominated at the LOS and Zim's D not standing up to a good team again. Of course Mannion isn't at a starters level but he's ok at backup because he brings some knowledge and has some experience. Mond should be cut. You can't waste a roster spot on him. Pick up some late cut to fill out the roster. Mond is so tight he's struggles to catch a shot gun snap.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

CharVike wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:43 am
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:29 pm Whats maybe worse, is Mond. Mannion is horrible, no one wants him being the QB even for a minute. Luckily Kirk isnt injury prone (knock on wood), he is the opposite of that. But Mond should have been the clear cut winner by now in the QB2. :govikes:
The entire take on Mannion was that Packer game he started. Yes he looked like crap. Cook and JJ didn't pick up their game either and looked terrible. That game came down to getting totally dominated at the LOS and Zim's D not standing up to a good team again. Of course Mannion isn't at a starters level but he's ok at backup because he brings some knowledge and has some experience. Mond should be cut. You can't waste a roster spot on him. Pick up some late cut to fill out the roster. Mond is so tight he's struggles to catch a shot gun snap.
Right. I believe most of Mond's problems may be mental. He has all the gifts to be a quality QB2 right now. He is wound up pretty tight from what ive heard and seen. He has a nice long ball, and decent zip. But you simply have to beat a backup like Mannion :wallbang:
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:13 pm
CharVike wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:53 am
Suck worthiness is measured in suckitude. In a sentence "My best friend Ken holds the record for the highest level of suckitude ever recorded at 989,896."
Even suckitude has some grey in it. Huntley is a better fit for that Raven jailbreak attack. In KOC's Ram knockoff attack he wouldn't have a chance and Mannion would have a lower level of suckitude.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:54 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:13 pm
Even suckitude has some grey in it. Huntley is a better fit for that Raven jailbreak attack. In KOC's Ram knockoff attack he wouldn't have a chance and Mannion would have a lower level of suckitude.
Suckitude is the correct measure to use though.
Definition: A word created by Vikings Victorious used to measure the level of suck in an entity.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:01 am
CharVike wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:43 am
Right. I believe most of Mond's problems may be mental. He has all the gifts to be a quality QB2 right now. He is wound up pretty tight from what ive heard and seen. He has a nice long ball, and decent zip. But you simply have to beat a backup like Mannion :wallbang:
The word among the media is that Mond can't process decisions fast enough. Physically, he's got tools, but he just doesn't see the plays developing. The Vikings staff has given him every opportunity this training camp, and he's simply not progressing. Some of that could be due to his being lost in the Bermuda Triangle last year as a rookie, but right now in 2022, if you put him out there against a No. ! defense throwing exotic looks his way, he'd be lost.

Mannion sees the plays but has very limited physical skills for an NFL quarterback. Somebody said that Mannion is so smart that he's like a second quarterbacks coach. But he can't play.

It all makes me nervous. Kirk has been an ironman, but I worry that at some point that his luck with injuries will run out. Like Kirk or hate him, if we lose him for any length of time, we're sunk. Our backups aren't close to good enough to hold the fort.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:42 pm
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:01 am

The word among the media is that Mond can't process decisions fast enough. Physically, he's got tools, but he just doesn't see the plays developing. The Vikings staff has given him every opportunity this training camp, and he's simply not progressing. Some of that could be due to his being lost in the Bermuda Triangle last year as a rookie, but right now in 2022, if you put him out there against a No. ! defense throwing exotic looks his way, he'd be lost.

Mannion sees the plays but has very limited physical skills for an NFL quarterback. Somebody said that Mannion is so smart that he's like a second quarterbacks coach. But he can't play.

It all makes me nervous. Kirk has been an ironman, but I worry that at some point that his luck with injuries will run out. Like Kirk or hate him, if we lose him for any length of time, we're sunk. Our backups aren't close to good enough to hold the fort.
I can't think of a team out there that wouldn't be sunk if they lost their QB for a long time. Ravens lost Lamar and it was over. Look at the Packers backup QB. He can't play. In today's world QBs get knocked based on track events. Mannion is limited because he can't run a 4.5 or throw the ball 80 yards and it goes on. But he's a smart player which could come in handy and help him through that lack of speed or arm strength. The guy for Dallas came off the bench and beat us last year. Is his physical skills that far ahead of Mannion? If we traded for him would that be good enough? I doubt it. Maybe Mannion will play like Case if Kirk goes down for the season. Once the backup needs to play for more than a game or two guess what? The team is done in most cases.