2022 schedule

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: 2022 schedule

Post by psjordan »

VikingLord wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:24 pm I don't think that is a fair characterization of what I wrote.

He'll play against those players for at least 4 seasons at least twice a year, every year (and maybe more depending on playoffs). In this case, not only will they face those players, the positional matchups will highlight those particular players in each of those matchups.

Had he traded outside the division, he'd likely have faced the traded players once per year max, and possibly not even that often. It wouldn't be nearly as direct or consistent a contrast.

Minimize it as much as you want, but that is a fact and because of it KAM is exposing himself to more criticism if it doesn't work out than he otherwise would have trading outside the division.
Well, here's my "rub" with that line of thinking - we'll never win the SB if we can't stop "the guy we traded picks that the other team got". Literally. With that logic, we can't trade with anyone if we want to win a SB because we're assuming we won't be able to stop said player from dominating (yes I'm being a smarta$$ and that is not what you wrote or intended).

My main point being, if the trade is "good for us", then it's "good for us". At some point, if all in the Universe lines up, we'll have to face and stop the guy the other team drafted with our pick. Sure it's more in the open if we have to do it twice a season, but we could lose all four games to GB and DET, get waxed by those two WR's and still make the playoffs and have a shot at it all. Will the prevailing thoughts on this forum then be "wow we're a better team, we made the playoffs!" or will it be "Kwesi's an idiot, we got waxed by those WR's".

For me, and apparently for Kwesi, if we can make our team better (under our mode/way of thinking), we make our team better.

For me, the real critique is in the players chosen and how we coach them. How individual players do against us is about 64th down the list of things I care about.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Texas Vike wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:33 am
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:17 am I dont know how much he ventured. I think he bowed to the will of the Owners pretty easily. Another frigging contract for Kirk? Did the new GM and the new HC learn nothing from watching the previous years of Cousins?
Tell me you didn't watch the video, without telling me you didn't watch the video :lol:

Mark Wilf clearly didn't have any input on the decision to trade #12 to a division rival. He looks extremely nervous about KAM's decision, actually. Regarding Kirk: what was the other option? Cut him and eat the guaranteed money we were on the hook for? And play whom at QB? They gave him a 2 year contract; that's hardly a long-term commitment. If Cousins flourishes this season, great, if not, I expect that they'll draft his replacement next year.
I did watch the video. I found it a bit odd, kinda funny. I dont think the Wilfs had anything to do with the draft though (thank god). But I didnt like the move that far down, with a team already having multiple 1st rd picks,in our division and not come away with a 1st, or a very good 2nd rd pick next year. Very amateur move in my book, even if the picks work out.

As far as a new regime not picking there own QB, or at least picking there own branch QB, I think its either lazy or stupid. Thats where I think the Wilfs threw their weight around and said they were signing Kirk for the next 2 years. What was kam going to do, say no? They could have easily found a bridge QB, or worked on Mond, with all the cap space they had without Kirk. They just had to have know kirk couldnt win the big games, esp. the really big games, in a row.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

Hopefully the weather is nice in January when they play here in Chicago. :ripple:
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:52 am
CharVike wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:06 pm
Childog gave us a great season in 2009. He reached for a QB TJ who he wanted to mold into McNabb and it didn't work. He was lucky Farve had one good year left in his body otherwise he wouldn't have had any success. Genius Kewsi hasn't done anything to open my eyes. I've seen his act already for the last X number of years. He hit the repeat button. We'll know very shortly if it worked.
Tarvaris Jackson was a decent QB. I don't get why most seem to think he was a total bum. He had a QBR in the 90s the season before we brought in Brett. That put him in the top half of the league.
TJ did exactly what his pre draft projection was a backup. He played in the NFL for many years in that role. We did him no favors by throwing him into a starting role his 2nd year and hoping Chill could turn him into a good starter. He meet his projection the majority don't.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Dmizzle0 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:58 am Hopefully the weather is nice in January when they play here in Chicago. :ripple:
Yeah right, it is Chicago, it is never nice in January
Tark
Starter

Post by Tark »

Texas Vike wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:52 pm
VikingsFan84 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:42 pm

That is sweet!
Packers often start slow. Rodgers probably won't have much rapport with his new WRs either. I think we open with a W.
I’d like to agree but then again no. Fudgepackers 31 Vikings 13. These are the type of games we lose ,you know, the ones we should win
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

fiestavike wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:32 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:36 pm
I'm not a huge fan of either, but I wouldn't call them lightweights. Time will tell.
That video link was painful. I was cringing. Maybe the new generation of players will respond well to those guys and that kind of leadership, but I find Kwesi and KOC embarrassing.

...approaching Brad Childress level of cringe.
The Wilfs have proven if they are not happy they will make a move. The first guy they hired, Fran Foley, lasted 3 months. If genius Kwesi can find people that can play and doesn't piss the entire building off he'll be ok. The Wilfs seem to be always looking to step over the line like the triangle of authority stuff. That was a cluster F. Now he's going with a smart person who has little football back ground. Doesn't seem to fit. I actually like what KOC is doing. Of course that could change because he hasn't coached a game yet. That's when the rubber hits the road and will tell the story.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

StanM wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:19 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:01 am
The Bears game after the London trip is at US Bank. I already commented on how idiotic the NFL is for scheduling the Vikings at home for the good weather games with Chicago and the Pukers and having the bad weather games outdoors on the road last two weeks of the season dead in the heart of winter. WTF is wrong with those schedule makers?
What has become of us? Back in the 70’s we used to be the kings of cold weather games. Yet here we are now complaining about having to play outdoors in December.

But on a more serious note, the schedule is what it is. Both teams are going to play in the same condition and half these players never experienced cold until they were drafted by northern teams. It’s an even playing field with the exception of home crowds. If we can’t overcome a bit of cold weather and focus on the task at hand we will never get past our division. Back when I started watching the Vikings there weren’t any domed stadiums in 1961.
Why intentionally subject players to the worst possible weather. I'm guessing the NFL likes the image it presents of how tough they all are. What's wrong with playing NFL games in Chicago and Green bay in late September or early October when the playing conditions will likely be glorious? Then have them play at US Bank in late December and Early January. The Weather in Chicago and Green Bay in late December and early January can actually be harmful to the players health. Risk of Frostbite is legit. I know the Bears and Pukers need to host some late season games, but those should be limited a bit out of common sense.