Top Tier QB's

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Top Tier QB's

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:34 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:20 am

1.) The argument I'm making has nothing to do with Cousins

2.) The argument I'm making is that the analyst in that article called Lamar Jackson a "bonafide franchise QB". Did myself or anyone ever call Cousins a "bonafide franchise QB"? No. Again this has nothing to do with Cousins. I'm not saying Lamar Jackson is a "bad" QB. He's simply a regular season hero that chokes in the playoffs. He wins MVP and crumbles in the playoffs. Add on that since his MVP his team has gone backwards. That's not a bonafide franchise QB.

3.) I dont believe "any QB can win it" if everything is perfect. There's some bad QBs in this league.
Well a lot of your responses to Stump, could also be meant for cousins. He will never bring us a SB, and people like you will be making excuses for him even after he fails this year. The guy has no charisma to bring a team together. Hell, Case did it in a few games, Without the 'YOU LIKE THAT' charge to battle. What did you think of him last year? I dont know how to, or want to call up your post from last year, but I bet you wanted Rick and Cousins gone.
People like me? First of all, slow your role dude. You dont know me any more than the man on the moon. Second, please take the time to look at my posts from last year. I've been in support of Cousins for quite a while now and Rick Spielman even longer. No need to hide from it or try and attempt to change my stance. It was Mike Zimmer I wanted gone for the past two years and I plastered it all over this board so it wont be hard to find. Also, I've been on here for 10 years so feel free to look back even further.

But either way, you keep running back to Cousins. I'm talking about Lamar Jackson not Cousins. You haters just cant get enough :lol:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StanM wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:02 am We don’t know what goes on behind closed doors. There is a possibility that keeping Cousins and trying to maximize his potential may have been a condition of employment.

A lot happened last year between the coach and GM and were not party to that either. I am not going to be quick to pass judgement on the new hires without that essential information. Basically that is why I don’t parade out a bunch of stats to support opinions. I prefer to sit back and let #### happen and see what sticks. Nobody that I know of owns a working crystal ball or I would buy a lottery ticket. Better to accept what has happened as fans can’t change it. Our only involvement is to decide whether to be fans. They’re going to do whatever they want without consulting any of us. :beerock:
All very true.

I just wish I could connect the dots in this situation, because there seems to be a difference between what everyone external to the Vikings (and many Vikings fans) see when they look at Cousins and what the Vikings themselves think they have in Cousins. It is that gap that concerns me more than anything, because both can't be true at the same time. I think I've gotten past the point where I can believe the Vikings have some secret insider information that will result in Cousins potential suddenly being unleashed on the league. It is clear someone really likes the guy within the Vikings organization, and it also appears that someone remains in place after the transition of the GM and head coach positions. Its reasonable to believe that someone is probably a Wilf at this point, and, as with many of the Wilf's decisions over the years, suggests one or both of them remain overly involved in football decisions they probably have no business being involved in. I can totally see where they hired KAM and/or KOC on the basis that both expressed strong support for keeping Cousins. I can equally see where Harbaugh's interview might have gone into the tank when he expressed less confidence in Cousins or even the intent to move on from Cousins ASAP.

As you point out, we normal fans will never likely know any of this. All we can see are the results, and based on what I'm seeing so far, I'd expect the results for the 2022 version of the Vikings to remain remarkably consistent with the results of the 2021 Vikings. That might not be terrible. With marginal improvements in the defense and special teams coupled with no significant dropoffs in the offense, it should be good enough to return them to the playoffs. Probably not much beyond a wild card berth and first round exit, but at least keep them "competitive" (whatever that means to the Wilfs...).
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

2.) The argument I'm making is that the analyst in that article called Lamar Jackson a "bonafide franchise QB". Did myself or anyone ever call Cousins a "bonafide franchise QB"? No. Again this has nothing to do with Cousins. I'm not saying Lamar Jackson is a "bad" QB. He's simply a regular season hero that chokes in the playoffs. He wins MVP and crumbles in the playoffs. Add on that since his MVP his team has gone backwards. That's not a bonafide franchise QB.

3.) I dont believe "any QB can win it" if everything is perfect. There's some bad QBs in this league.
Well a lot of your responses to Stump, could also be meant for cousins. He will never bring us a SB, and people like you will be making excuses for him even after he fails this year. The guy has no charisma to bring a team together. Hell, Case did it in a few games, Without the 'YOU LIKE THAT' charge to battle. What did you think of him last year? I dont know how to, or want to call up your post from last year, but I bet you wanted Rick and Cousins gone.
Cousins had a run of incredible clutch play early last season. He led at least 6 what should have been game winning drives in the first 6 games. Reading your comments I think you just don't like his personality so you spin that into he's not good. Stafford was a perennial loser until things changed. IF our Defense is healthy this year we can go a long ways. Cousins is the man to lead us there.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:02 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:26 pm Kirk is the best. End of story. :whistle:
Not the best but easily as good as Matt Stafford.
I agree with that. After this year a lot of Kirk haters will be eating crow. KOC is about to call up a career year for him.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:35 pm

Cousins had a run of incredible clutch play early last season. He led at least 6 what should have been game winning drives in the first 6 games. Reading your comments I think you just don't like his personality so you spin that into he's not good. Stafford was a perennial loser until things changed. IF our Defense is healthy this year we can go a long ways. Cousins is the man to lead us there.
As another member of this board said, slow your role, you dont know me
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:24 am
StumpHunter wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:40 am
You are ignoring what he did with his legs in those games and that TN win in particular he was pretty much the only offense. He doesn't win like the traditional QB, but he still contributes significantly to wins which is why he belongs in that group.
Am I ignoring that? Well 1.) which Tennessee game are you referring to? 2.) If you're referring to his one lone win, great. If you're referring to the game they got blown out in his "MVP season" 90% of his stat line came in garbage time and he still only put up 12 points.
Like you said, the AFC is loaded and if he were in the NFC he probably would have at least one CG and maybe a SB appearance by now.
:lol: :lol: Good try dude, A for effort. The AFC really started to become loaded this upcoming year. 2018 and 2019, it was actually much weaker. On the other hand, those years the NFC was stacked. So no, you're 1000% wrong. He wouldnt have touched a championship game. Not even close. His best year he got mopped up by the Titans who were a 6 seed that squeaked into the playoffs.
Remember when you also said he would never develop into a good QB right before he won the MVP? The guy has two full seasons under his belt and won a playoff game in one of those seasons.
I do remember that and still stand by it. He won MVP and was one and done in the playoffs. Flat out embarrassed by a 6 seed in the playoffs no less. So keep trying to toot your own horn that you "called it" but I still think he's an overrated, media darling QB.
The playoff game that Lamar won the entire team did a good job. Their D only gave up 13 which is playing good ball. So saying Lamar had no help is wrong. Lamar had a fantastic game and rushed for 136 yards which included an explosive, 48-yard touchdown scramble which I posted before he goes for the long ball when he runs. He's the fastest guy on the field. I doubt Brady, Rodgers or Cousins could do that. They would have dropped before making it. That season their OL was going through a transition and PFF had them ranked at 16 which isn't good. It's dead on average. He didn't get much help from them. He's lucky he wasn't playing behind our OL which couldn't pass block at all in the middle. He threw for 179 yards, 0 TD passes and 1 Int. Not one of the best playoff performances but he lead them from a double digit 1st quarter deficit of 10 points. He was 0-6 when faced with that same situation in his career until this game. Now they face a new deal and since Lamar is his own agent they will deal with him when he has the time. I'm sure he's spending plenty of time trying to figure his negotiation tactics ect..... If I was him I would spend my time working on my QB skills. That needs a 100% effort to become of the best.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:03 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:02 pm
Not the best but easily as good as Matt Stafford.
I agree with that. After this year a lot of Kirk haters will be eating crow. KOC is about to call up a career year for him.
I don't know that I'd put a hater label on anyone since it's against the forum rules... I wouldn't consider myself a hater but I think he's shown us what he is. I honestly hope I'm eating crow!
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

What exactly is charisma? Is that what Nick Foles has? Is that why he beat Case like a drum? Did Case lose his charisma after that mighty home playoff win that took a miracle to achieve? Does Rodgers have it? How about the kid Trevor Lawerence the 1st overall pick last year. I don't think he has charisma based on their record. He didn't bring that team together. I think your reaching for nothing. Case had his chance with Denver and lost the job. I'm sure he's fiddling around on some team fighting for a backup role. He blew it when he chocked against the Eagles in the champ game. He gave up as many points with his pick 6 as he scored which was 7. If we cut Cousins today he would be picked up by another team very quickly and would be the starter and get his 35 million a year and probably more because several teams would be interested. The haters will say he would be out of the NFL because he sucks. You need a well rounded team to make the Super Bowl. The kid Burrow, who I liked alot when he came out, took the Bengals to the Super Bowl. Their defense played the bigger role in getting them to the show. Burrow wouldn't have taken our team to the Super Bowl. Our D and OL aren't good enough. We don't have a game breaking WR like Chase who could take any short pass to the house. Don't you think that helps? Football is the ultimate team game. All 3 phases must play well to have a chance at the Super Bowl. Zim had his chance with Case but his defense didn't feel like playing that day and we got beat. I have heard the name Cam Newton mentioned as a guy. He's still out there. I wonder why.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:04 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:35 pm
You clearly don’t like Cousins and aren’t hiding that from anyone. That’s all he said. You on the other hand tried to make the claim that I wanted Spielman and cousins gone before the season. Which just made you look foolish
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:59 pm
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:04 am

You clearly don’t like Cousins and aren’t hiding that from anyone. That’s all he said. You on the other hand tried to make the claim that I wanted Spielman and cousins gone before the season. Which just made you look foolish
You just love throwing out insults to someones character, ive seen it to me and ive seen it on some of your posts just since I got her. And youre lucky i am lazy and wont look for posts where you didint think cousins did a good job. But you my friend, are not worth arguing with.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

CharVike wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:49 am

What exactly is charisma? Is that what Nick Foles has? Is that why he beat Case like a drum? Did Case lose his charisma after that mighty home playoff win that took a miracle to achieve? Does Rodgers have it? How about the kid Trevor Lawerence the 1st overall pick last year. I don't think he has charisma based on their record. He didn't bring that team together. I think your reaching for nothing. Case had his chance with Denver and lost the job. I'm sure he's fiddling around on some team fighting for a backup role. He blew it when he chocked against the Eagles in the champ game. He gave up as many points with his pick 6 as he scored which was 7. If we cut Cousins today he would be picked up by another team very quickly and would be the starter and get his 35 million a year and probably more because several teams would be interested. The haters will say he would be out of the NFL because he sucks. You need a well rounded team to make the Super Bowl. The kid Burrow, who I liked alot when he came out, took the Bengals to the Super Bowl. Their defense played the bigger role in getting them to the show. Burrow wouldn't have taken our team to the Super Bowl. Our D and OL aren't good enough. We don't have a game breaking WR like Chase who could take any short pass to the house. Don't you think that helps? Football is the ultimate team game. All 3 phases must play well to have a chance at the Super Bowl. Zim had his chance with Case but his defense didn't feel like playing that day and we got beat. I have heard the name Cam Newton mentioned as a guy. He's still out there. I wonder why.
Wat
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:09 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:59 pm

You just love throwing out insults to someones character, ive seen it to me and ive seen it on some of your posts just since I got her. And youre lucky i am lazy and wont look for posts where you didint think cousins did a good job. But you my friend, are not worth arguing with.
Insult someone’s character? If you’ve paid any attention on here whatsoever, you’d know that I’ve always been a cousins and Spielman supporter. So yeah if you’re saying I all of the sudden didn’t like either of them, when everyone on here knows I do, then yeah, that makes you look foolish.

And I don’t know what to tell you other than, stop being lazy and look up the posts you’re trying to claim. I can tell you you won’t find many if any at all.

In the end, don’t throw out foolish accusations that you can’t back up. Then maybe, just maybe, you won’t get questioned on it
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:04 am
VikingLord wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:58 pm One could argue that the Vikings lost Diggs because Diggs was so frustrated with Cousins he wanted out. Granted, the Vikings found Jefferson as his replacement, which was a stroke of good luck, but Jefferson has also voiced frustration with Cousins. And now it looks like Cousins will play out the end of Jefferson's rookie deal.
This paragraph is literally completely made up and pure bias speculation.

1.) Diggs wanted out because they switched to a run heavy scheme without notifying him which bumped him further down the food chain in this offense. He literally came out and said that. But it's an easy out for Cousins haters to say "He left because of Kirk". No he didnt. There is literally not a sliver of evidence that says that's the reason he left. There is evidence from Diggs' own mouth that he left due to scheme.

2.) When did Jefferson voice his frustrations with Cousins? News to me. I've heard him do nothing but praise him any time he's asked about him. Cousins has literally given JJ the records he has. It would be awfully odd that JJ doesnt like him as his QB.

3.) Jefferson has 3 years left on his rookie deal. Cousins has two years left. So that is also false as of right now that Cousins will play out the end of Jeffersons rookie deal.
JJ actually is better than I thought. The guy put up 1616 yards last year which was 2nd highest to Kupp's 1947 but Kupp had 37 more catches. Diggs was turned into a more downfield WR in 2019, the year he wanted out, which points out the scheme change. He average 17.9 yards a catch from dump off Kirk. 94 balls thrown his way. Last year under Allen he averaged 11.9 with 164 times thrown to. Diggs is no longer a big play guy but an underneath possession WR. That points out the scheme in a big way. I'd prefer the 2019 version of Diggs when the big play was there. I think that helps more. We made out better with Jefferson. JJ doesn't hate Kirk. I highly doubt they hang out together because I'm sure they have different lifestyles and are over a decade in age difference. They are in different places from a life stand point. That happens with everyone. Kirk has helped JJ more than the haters realize.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:47 am
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:09 pm

Insult someone’s character? If you’ve paid any attention on here whatsoever, you’d know that I’ve always been a cousins and Spielman supporter. So yeah if you’re saying I all of the sudden didn’t like either of them, when everyone on here knows I do, then yeah, that makes you look foolish.

And I don’t know what to tell you other than, stop being lazy and look up the posts you’re trying to claim. I can tell you you won’t find many if any at all.

In the end, don’t throw out foolish accusations that you can’t back up. Then maybe, just maybe, you won’t get questioned on it
You guys need to go have a beer together and settle this Cousins stat slinging dispute. He’s under contact for a couple more years so it is what it is until it isn’t anymore. :beerock:
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StanM wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:23 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:47 am

You guys need to go have a beer together and settle this Cousins stat slinging dispute. He’s under contact for a couple more years so it is what it is until it isn’t anymore. :beerock:
Beer might be like throwing gas on a fire in this case.