Top Tier QB's

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3128
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:23 pm
x 119

Re: Top Tier QB's

Post by vikeinmontana »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:04 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:32 am Judge Sue Robinson has determined a 6 game suspension for Deshaun Watson. I'm wondering what makes her believe she is qualified to determine his suspension. I'd guess she thinks it's her law degree. The NFL is appealing wanting to make it the entire season.

RealGM Wiretap
NFL Appeals Deshaun Watson's Six-Game Suspension
AUG 3, 2022 3:58 PM


The NFL has filed an appeal of the six-game suspension given to Deshaun Watson by Judge Sue L. Robinson.

Robinson found Watson guilty of violating the NFL's personal conduct policy from his allegations of sexual misconduct. The NFL proposed suspending Watson for the entire 2022 season and that he not be permitted to return until he satisfied certain conditions for reinstatement.

The Cleveland Browns acquired Watson via trade in the offseason.

REALGM STAFF REPORT
I really hope its at least a season, and a huge fine as well. The NFL can save a little face that way
Agreed. It's a very poor look when a guy can be suspended an entire season for sports betting but a guy facing these kinds of accusations gets a third of a season. :confused:
i'm ready for a beer.
User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3164
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 625

Re: Top Tier QB's

Post by VikingsVictorious »

vikeinmontana wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:13 am
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:04 am

I really hope its at least a season, and a huge fine as well. The NFL can save a little face that way
Agreed. It's a very poor look when a guy can be suspended an entire season for sports betting but a guy facing these kinds of accusations gets a third of a season. :confused:
I think a guy should be considered innocent until proven guilty, but in the case of pay offs they should be considered an admission of at least some guilt for the purpose of league disciplinary actions
User avatar
VikingLord
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7573
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Location: The Land of the Ice and Snow
x 667

Re: Top Tier QB's

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:32 am Judge Sue Robinson has determined a 6 game suspension for Deshaun Watson. I'm wondering what makes her believe she is qualified to determine his suspension. I'd guess she thinks it's her law degree. The NFL is appealing wanting to make it the entire season.
I think what makes her qualified is the fact the NFL and NFL Players Association agreed to use an arbitrator to decide punishments for players under the collective bargaining agreement. Both agreed to her being that arbitrator. What she decides goes, and any notion the NFL can go to court to override her decision is fantasy unless they can prove she was not impartial or the process was otherwise flawed. Even if the NFL could prove that, all a court would likely do is appoint a different arbitrator or tell the NFL and the Players Association to choose someone else.

No way the NFL will get it changed. If they don't want a repeat of this in the future, they'll have to get the Players Association to agree to it in the next CBA.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 9305
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 1576

Re: Top Tier QB's

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:23 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:32 am Judge Sue Robinson has determined a 6 game suspension for Deshaun Watson. I'm wondering what makes her believe she is qualified to determine his suspension. I'd guess she thinks it's her law degree. The NFL is appealing wanting to make it the entire season.
I think what makes her qualified is the fact the NFL and NFL Players Association agreed to use an arbitrator to decide punishments for players under the collective bargaining agreement. Both agreed to her being that arbitrator. What she decides goes, and any notion the NFL can go to court to override her decision is fantasy unless they can prove she was not impartial or the process was otherwise flawed. Even if the NFL could prove that, all a court would likely do is appoint a different arbitrator or tell the NFL and the Players Association to choose someone else.

No way the NFL will get it changed. If they don't want a repeat of this in the future, they'll have to get the Players Association to agree to it in the next CBA.
Actually, the NFL does not have the authority under the CBA to re-litigate the facts or to question the factual determinations. The only question they can raise is whether the punishment is appropriate, given the facts.

According to legal experts (definitely NOT me), the opportunity is there for the commissioner to question whether the punishment was sufficient, given the severity of the conduct that was alleged and proven. And there is a clear path for the commissioner, as articulated in the CBA, to increase the suspension.

The problem is that if the league increases the punishment, then the Players Association will sue. It will end up in court, and Watson will likely end up playing the entire season because it won't be adjudicated before the season is over.

Basically, it's a mess. If I had to guess, the league will try to increase the suspension, the Players Association will challenge, and Watson will play Week 1.
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
JJBreaksRecords
Starter
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:22 pm
x 13

Re: Top Tier QB's

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

NFL stars can do no harm. Or at least get charged with it, and a just punishment given out.
User avatar
VikingLord
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7573
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Location: The Land of the Ice and Snow
x 667

Re: Top Tier QB's

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:02 pm According to legal experts (definitely NOT me), the opportunity is there for the commissioner to question whether the punishment was sufficient, given the severity of the conduct that was alleged and proven. And there is a clear path for the commissioner, as articulated in the CBA, to increase the suspension.

The problem is that if the league increases the punishment, then the Players Association will sue. It will end up in court, and Watson will likely end up playing the entire season because it won't be adjudicated before the season is over.

Basically, it's a mess. If I had to guess, the league will try to increase the suspension, the Players Association will challenge, and Watson will play Week 1.
I thought the whole reason the fines and suspension clauses of the CBA were adjusted to use an arbitrator was to remove the sole discretion of the commissioner to determine punishments, but if you say the commissioner still can alter the punishment unilaterally (or at least try to pending formal legal action by the Players Association), I'll take you at your word. It seems silly to use an arbitrator at all if the commissioner still gets the final word on punishments.

The league and the Players need to find a way to put this type of situation to bed once and for all in the future. I've always thought a commission of NFL owners and players (current or former) could be used to decide punishments for violations of the CBA, both for player misconduct as well as team or owner misconduct. It's always dicey to leave decisions like these up to the whims of a single person regardless of who that person is.