Top Tier QB's

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Top Tier QB's

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:06 am
StumpHunter wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:46 pm

He literally did win a playoff game...

37-12 as a starter and in his only two full seasons lead an offense that was #1 and #9 in scoring and has won an MVP in his first two full season starting.

As for that good rosters in the two years he only played a part of the season he was 6-1 while the previous starter was 4-5, and 7-5 while his replacement was 1-4. Seems like he has a pretty significant, positive impact on his team winning football games, no?
So he's a regular season hero? He's been embarrassed in the playoffs. He's 1-3 in the playoffs with a 3:5 TD:INT ratio. 6.6 YPA average. 68.3 average QB rating. 55% completion percentage on average. IMO, bonafide franchise QBs can and will win in the playoffs. It's not like Jackson was sitting on a 2020 Houston Texans roster like Deshaun Watson was. But the media just constantly toots this guys horn when in the end, he's done next to nothing in terms of getting the Ravens where they want to be. He hasnt even came close. And it's not going to get any better for him because the AFC is as loaded as its ever been.
You are ignoring what he did with his legs in those games and that TN win in particular he was pretty much the only offense. He doesn't win like the traditional QB, but he still contributes significantly to wins which is why he belongs in that group.

Like you said, the AFC is loaded and if he were in the NFC he probably would have at least one CG and maybe a SB appearance by now.
I've said it to you before and I will say it again, Lamar Jackson will never touch a SB.
Remember when you also said he would never develop into a good QB right before he won the MVP? The guy has two full seasons under his belt and won a playoff game in one of those seasons.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:40 am
You are ignoring what he did with his legs in those games and that TN win in particular he was pretty much the only offense. He doesn't win like the traditional QB, but he still contributes significantly to wins which is why he belongs in that group.
Am I ignoring that? Well 1.) which Tennessee game are you referring to? 2.) If you're referring to his one lone win, great. If you're referring to the game they got blown out in his "MVP season" 90% of his stat line came in garbage time and he still only put up 12 points.
Like you said, the AFC is loaded and if he were in the NFC he probably would have at least one CG and maybe a SB appearance by now.
:lol: :lol: Good try dude, A for effort. The AFC really started to become loaded this upcoming year. 2018 and 2019, it was actually much weaker. On the other hand, those years the NFC was stacked. So no, you're 1000% wrong. He wouldnt have touched a championship game. Not even close. His best year he got mopped up by the Titans who were a 6 seed that squeaked into the playoffs.
Remember when you also said he would never develop into a good QB right before he won the MVP? The guy has two full seasons under his belt and won a playoff game in one of those seasons.
I do remember that and still stand by it. He won MVP and was one and done in the playoffs. Flat out embarrassed by a 6 seed in the playoffs no less. So keep trying to toot your own horn that you "called it" but I still think he's an overrated, media darling QB.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

IIsweet wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:44 pm 2023 NFL Draft list of QB's:
This is a very talented group. There are plenty more also. I would take nearly every one of these ahead of Pickett.
CJ Young Ohio State
Bryce Young Alabama
Will Levis Kentucky
Spencer Rattler South Carolina
DJ Uiagaleli Clemson
Anthony Richardson Florida
Tyler Van Dyke Miami
Phil Jurkovec Boston College
Kedon Slovis USC
Pickett is a big risk pick. He only did it his last year. Peter King said that the Steelers and Pitt use the same practice building and their entrances are 12 feet apart. He felt the Steelers have had their eye on him for a long time. They know him better than any other team. They also threw smoke screens about Willis to indicate they have no interest in Pickette. Pickett has all the physical skills needed and has excellent size to stand in there and see over the LOS. He throws a nice ball and isn't some weak armed middle thrower. If you are high on a QB prospect then you need to pull the trigger. Waiting could burn you. Maybe the Steelers hit from a weak QB class. They have the coaching and team in place. This has the potential of a classic boom out of nowhere pick. I think it was worth the risk.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:30 am His contract is 35 million a year and Rodgers is 50. I don't see that as close. We should always look for a better QB. We went with Mond over Jones last year. Mond is still here. I'm not sure why but he is. This year had nothing in the draft. Cousins missed a game last year and we faced a team that he beat early in the season and we couldn't even compete without him. Your correct he is who he is. He threw 33 TDs last year which is about his average season. Murray threw 24 and is one of the best. I know it's more than TDs but Brady threw 43 so that certainly helped his team. If he threw 10 that team was done. Brady has the best contract. He makes peanuts compared to Rodgers. Contract falls on the team not the player. We have many contracts that are killing us. Just look it up. Every Journeyman like Case throws 33 TD passes. I never realized that. They are all over the place. Why are these teams with nothing at QB not signing these guys? The Giants could use that and many others.
I think what disturbs me the most is that the new regime appears to believe Cousins is the team's QB of the future ala what the prior regime believed. I don't coach football and am not a GM (well, at least not a paid one... :shock: ), but it is hard for me to understand what they see that leads them to that conclusion. The two effects of that (lots of money invested in a pretty average QB and no apparent incentive to draft a long-term answer at QB) are significant, especially over time. One could argue that the Vikings lost Diggs because Diggs was so frustrated with Cousins he wanted out. Granted, the Vikings found Jefferson as his replacement, which was a stroke of good luck, but Jefferson has also voiced frustration with Cousins. And now it looks like Cousins will play out the end of Jefferson's rookie deal. If that frustration continues, I could see him getting out too.

Cousins is expensive in more ways than one. He costs them plenty in the present, but he also could cost them in the future, and in some ways the future cost is more severe.

This was a weak year for QBs in the draft, although I'm not convinced a good one or two won't emerge in time. Not sure why Willis slid so far, but the Titans might have gotten a steal in the 3rd where they got him. Next year's QB class is much stronger. With the Vikings emphasis on winning now, however, it is unlikely they'll draft higher than where they found themselves this last year, so it will be expensive to trade up to put themselves in position to grab one of those highly touted QBs, and that assumes they even will want to do that if they view Cousins as their future at the position.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:58 pm
CharVike wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:30 am His contract is 35 million a year and Rodgers is 50. I don't see that as close. We should always look for a better QB. We went with Mond over Jones last year. Mond is still here. I'm not sure why but he is. This year had nothing in the draft. Cousins missed a game last year and we faced a team that he beat early in the season and we couldn't even compete without him. Your correct he is who he is. He threw 33 TDs last year which is about his average season. Murray threw 24 and is one of the best. I know it's more than TDs but Brady threw 43 so that certainly helped his team. If he threw 10 that team was done. Brady has the best contract. He makes peanuts compared to Rodgers. Contract falls on the team not the player. We have many contracts that are killing us. Just look it up. Every Journeyman like Case throws 33 TD passes. I never realized that. They are all over the place. Why are these teams with nothing at QB not signing these guys? The Giants could use that and many others.
I think what disturbs me the most is that the new regime appears to believe Cousins is the team's QB of the future ala what the prior regime believed. I don't coach football and am not a GM (well, at least not a paid one... :shock: ), but it is hard for me to understand what they see that leads them to that conclusion. The two effects of that (lots of money invested in a pretty average QB and no apparent incentive to draft a long-term answer at QB) are significant, especially over time. One could argue that the Vikings lost Diggs because Diggs was so frustrated with Cousins he wanted out. Granted, the Vikings found Jefferson as his replacement, which was a stroke of good luck, but Jefferson has also voiced frustration with Cousins. And now it looks like Cousins will play out the end of Jefferson's rookie deal. If that frustration continues, I could see him getting out too.

Cousins is expensive in more ways than one. He costs them plenty in the present, but he also could cost them in the future, and in some ways the future cost is more severe.

This was a weak year for QBs in the draft, although I'm not convinced a good one or two won't emerge in time. Not sure why Willis slid so far, but the Titans might have gotten a steal in the 3rd where they got him. Next year's QB class is much stronger. With the Vikings emphasis on winning now, however, it is unlikely they'll draft higher than where they found themselves this last year, so it will be expensive to trade up to put themselves in position to grab one of those highly touted QBs, and that assumes they even will want to do that if they view Cousins as their future at the position.
I heard Diggs wanted out because of the scheme. Jefferson has done very well and if you don't want to give any credit to Cousins for his ability to hit him then OK. There was a play pointed out in the red zone where JJ didn't make his break and took off and Cousins threw an int. The people showing the play pointed out the fact that JJ couldn't break that play off. It was a three step back and throw play. Cousins talked to JJ after the play. JJ was just a kid who made a mistake but Cousins didn't throw him under the bus. If you think JJ would be happy with some stiff back there who can't pass then I don't know. If a QB is there then we should make the pick. People act like we get all these opportunities to pick QBs. That rolls around about every decade unless you are picking very high. I here talk about trading up next year. If there is a stud QB available the chance of a team trading that pick is basically zero. Last year Jax wasn't giving up that 1st pick. That QB is worth everything beyond just playing. We should always have an eye open for a QB. No new coach would come in here and say give the keys to Mond. That's a season with zero chance. If our new DC gets us playing some D we will compete. We beat the Packers last year with a junk team. We played the Rams tough and Stafford looked like dog crap against our D. We gave that game away. That's not all on one player.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

The reason they like and believe in Cousins is probably best summed up with two words. Matt Stafford. They have been nearly identical QBs for years with Cousins slightly better in stats and much better in Win/Loss record. If Stafford can lead a team to a Super Bowl than Cousins certainly can.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Kirk is the best. End of story. :whistle:
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:26 pm Kirk is the best. End of story. :whistle:
Not the best but easily as good as Matt Stafford.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:47 pm

The reason they like and believe in Cousins is probably best summed up with two words. Matt Stafford. They have been nearly identical QBs for years with Cousins slightly better in stats and much better in Win/Loss record. If Stafford can lead a team to a Super Bowl than Cousins certainly can.
JOC seems like a smart guy and I also don't think he would settle for a guy he thought couldn't run his offense. If he felt Cousins sucked he would not have offered an extension. There are many QBs we could have went after. Genuis Kewsi proved that he is willing to deal during the draft. He didn't sit still and wait for it to come to him. If he wants to make a change he will do it. Ask Anthony Barr. Some are missing the fact that these two guys have been in football. They know every player that we drafted last year very well. They were in the process. They have the boards. People act like now they will see this guy and give him a chance. They know the guy already. There view will be different than Speilman that's for sure. They know our roster very well. We played the Rams JOC knows the weak spots. Both these guys were in the NFL and had an active role. They know we have a #### roster but won't come out and say our roster sucks and we have zero depth. JOC said good things about Barr in his 1st press conference and I thought oh crap this guy is an idiot. Turns out he's not. The next guy to get the boot is Bradbury. I hope that's next.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

VikingLord wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:58 pm One could argue that the Vikings lost Diggs because Diggs was so frustrated with Cousins he wanted out. Granted, the Vikings found Jefferson as his replacement, which was a stroke of good luck, but Jefferson has also voiced frustration with Cousins. And now it looks like Cousins will play out the end of Jefferson's rookie deal.
This paragraph is literally completely made up and pure bias speculation.

1.) Diggs wanted out because they switched to a run heavy scheme without notifying him which bumped him further down the food chain in this offense. He literally came out and said that. But it's an easy out for Cousins haters to say "He left because of Kirk". No he didnt. There is literally not a sliver of evidence that says that's the reason he left. There is evidence from Diggs' own mouth that he left due to scheme.

2.) When did Jefferson voice his frustrations with Cousins? News to me. I've heard him do nothing but praise him any time he's asked about him. Cousins has literally given JJ the records he has. It would be awfully odd that JJ doesnt like him as his QB.

3.) Jefferson has 3 years left on his rookie deal. Cousins has two years left. So that is also false as of right now that Cousins will play out the end of Jeffersons rookie deal.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

We don’t know what goes on behind closed doors. There is a possibility that keeping Cousins and trying to maximize his potential may have been a condition of employment.

A lot happened last year between the coach and GM and were not party to that either. I am not going to be quick to pass judgement on the new hires without that essential information. Basically that is why I don’t parade out a bunch of stats to support opinions. I prefer to sit back and let #### happen and see what sticks. Nobody that I know of owns a working crystal ball or I would buy a lottery ticket. Better to accept what has happened as fans can’t change it. Our only involvement is to decide whether to be fans. They’re going to do whatever they want without consulting any of us. :beerock:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StanM wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:02 am

We don’t know what goes on behind closed doors. There is a possibility that keeping Cousins and trying to maximize his potential may have been a condition of employment.

A lot happened last year between the coach and GM and were not party to that either. I am not going to be quick to pass judgement on the new hires without that essential information. Basically that is why I don’t parade out a bunch of stats to support opinions. I prefer to sit back and let #### happen and see what sticks. Nobody that I know of owns a working crystal ball or I would buy a lottery ticket. Better to accept what has happened as fans can’t change it. Our only involvement is to decide whether to be fans. They’re going to do whatever they want without consulting any of us. :beerock:
Well said sir :appl:
-Chazz Palminteri
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:24 am
StumpHunter wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:40 am
Am I ignoring that? Well 1.) which Tennessee game are you referring to? 2.) If you're referring to his one lone win, great. If you're referring to the game they got blown out in his "MVP season" 90% of his stat line came in garbage time and he still only put up 12 points.
:lol: :lol: Good try dude, A for effort. The AFC really started to become loaded this upcoming year. 2018 and 2019, it was actually much weaker. On the other hand, those years the NFC was stacked. So no, you're 1000% wrong. He wouldnt have touched a championship game. Not even close. His best year he got mopped up by the Titans who were a 6 seed that squeaked into the playoffs.
Man, you must really hate Cousins. All the faults that happen to other QBs is strong in Cousins too. Cousins will NOT be able to win the playoffs and the SB. He does not have it in him. Any QB can win it if the rest of their team is perfect, but it doesnt work like that.

I do remember that and still stand by it. He won MVP and was one and done in the playoffs. Flat out embarrassed by a 6 seed in the playoffs no less. So keep trying to toot your own horn that you "called it" but I still think he's an overrated, media darling QB.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:52 am

Man, you must really hate Cousins. All the faults that happen to other QBs is strong in Cousins too. Cousins will NOT be able to win the playoffs and the SB. He does not have it in him. Any QB can win it if the rest of their team is perfect, but it doesnt work like that.
1.) The argument I'm making has nothing to do with Cousins

2.) The argument I'm making is that the analyst in that article called Lamar Jackson a "bonafide franchise QB". Did myself or anyone ever call Cousins a "bonafide franchise QB"? No. Again this has nothing to do with Cousins. I'm not saying Lamar Jackson is a "bad" QB. He's simply a regular season hero that chokes in the playoffs. He wins MVP and crumbles in the playoffs. Add on that since his MVP his team has gone backwards. That's not a bonafide franchise QB.

3.) I dont believe "any QB can win it" if everything is perfect. There's some bad QBs in this league.
-Chazz Palminteri
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:20 am
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:52 am

1.) The argument I'm making has nothing to do with Cousins

2.) The argument I'm making is that the analyst in that article called Lamar Jackson a "bonafide franchise QB". Did myself or anyone ever call Cousins a "bonafide franchise QB"? No. Again this has nothing to do with Cousins. I'm not saying Lamar Jackson is a "bad" QB. He's simply a regular season hero that chokes in the playoffs. He wins MVP and crumbles in the playoffs. Add on that since his MVP his team has gone backwards. That's not a bonafide franchise QB.

3.) I dont believe "any QB can win it" if everything is perfect. There's some bad QBs in this league.
Well a lot of your responses to Stump, could also be meant for cousins. He will never bring us a SB, and people like you will be making excuses for him even after he fails this year. The guy has no charisma to bring a team together. Hell, Case did it in a few games, Without the 'YOU LIKE THAT' charge to battle. What did you think of him last year? I dont know how to, or want to call up your post from last year, but I bet you wanted Rick and Cousins gone.