Website Banner Voting Round 3

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pick 3 players to go on the banner

Adrian Peterson
No votes
Ahmad Rashad
No votes
Carl Eller
No votes
Chris Doleman
No votes
Chuck Foreman
No votes
Cris Carter
No votes
Fran Tarkenton
No votes
Jared Allen
No votes
Jerry Burns
No votes
Jim Marshall
No votes
Joe Kapp
No votes
Joey Browner
No votes
Korey Stringer
No votes
Mick Tingelhoff
No votes
Paul Krause
No votes
Randall McDaniel
No votes
Ron Yary
No votes
Scott Studwell
No votes
Tommy Kramer
No votes

Total votes: 0

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Website Banner Voting Round 3

Post by fiestavike »

I wouldn't put Adrian on the list mainly just because his tenure wasn't very exciting to watch and he was so one dimensional. Robert Smith and Moe Williams and Chuck Foreman are RBs I would rather see on the banner, but obviously I'm in the minority on that. AD makes me think of Brad Childress and Christian Ponder, and that makes me sad.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

The last sentence in your post is the only one making sense.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

StpViking wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:25 pm Tark
AD
Paul Krause for me this round.

Poor Paul Krause, all he did is lead the NFL in INT all times playing mostly 14 game seasons and at a time when they ran 1st, 2nd and 3rd if possible.
Krause was quite good, but kind of boring. He deserves some love, but I see more than 7 players plus Bud ahead of him for the Banner of Honor.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:51 pm The last sentence in your post is the only one making sense.
He never could adapt, never could block, never could catch. He had good production, but the league did get a book on him and he struggled to keep those numbers up even before his skills started to decline. The offense became predictable and hobbled by his inability to play out of multiple sets. He tipped running plays and hindered the overall ability of the team to mix things up and pose multiple looks for defenses.. Peterson was a great runner, but not a great football player.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:39 pm I wouldn't put Adrian on the list mainly just because his tenure wasn't very exciting to watch and he was so one dimensional. Robert Smith and Moe Williams and Chuck Foreman are RBs I would rather see on the banner, but obviously I'm in the minority on that. AD makes me think of Brad Childress and Christian Ponder, and that makes me sad.
Peterson was anything but boring. Watching him obliterate a LB trying to tackle him on the way to a 70 yard TD was thrilling. I do Love Smith and Foreman also.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:31 pm
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:51 pm The last sentence in your post is the only one making sense.
He never could adapt, never could block, never could catch. He had good production, but the league did get a book on him and he struggled to keep those numbers up even before his skills started to decline. The offense became predictable and hobbled by his inability to play out of multiple sets. He tipped running plays and hindered the overall ability of the team to mix things up and pose multiple looks for defenses.. Peterson was a great runner, but not a great football player.
Peterson was a great football player.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Peterson is a great football player and will be in the Hall of Fame, he is the greatest running back in franchise history in my book!
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

A tie between Carter and Peterson, it will be interesting to see who wins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:21 pm

Peterson was a great football player.
Fair enough. Being a 'great football player' is a subjective measure. Do you disagree with any of the particulars I point to in forming my opinion of AD?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Peterson is a better runner than Foreman but Foreman is the complete running back
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingsFan84 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:16 pm Peterson is a better runner than Foreman but Foreman is the complete running back
Vikings have had 4 great RBs IMO. Foreman, Smith, Peterson and Cook. Peterson is not known as a great receiving or blocking back. The other three were probably better at those aspects of the game. That said Peterson was probably the best overall of the 4. Opinions on this will vary. Peterson should be a first ballot HoFer.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:19 pm
VikingsFan84 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:16 pm Peterson is a better runner than Foreman but Foreman is the complete running back
Vikings have had 4 great RBs IMO. Foreman, Smith, Peterson and Cook. Peterson is not known as a great receiving or blocking back. The other three were probably better at those aspects of the game. That said Peterson was probably the best overall of the 4. Opinions on this will vary. Peterson should be a first ballot HoFer.
I would rank them as this:

Peterson
Foreman
Smith
Cook

Cook always get hurt and never played a full season but he has potential when he is healthy
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Good discussion! I have soft spot in my heart for Moe Williams and Terry Allen, but can't call either all time greats.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

fiestavike wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:26 pm
Good discussion! I have soft spot in my heart for Moe Williams and Terry Allen, but can't call either all time greats.
Do not forget Chester Taylor, he was good too!
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:26 pm
Vikings have had other backs who have flashed greatness, but did not sustain it. Foreman actually had a pretty short career, but long enough.