Draft Day Question #3

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Hypothetically, if we HAVE to pick at 12 and these 3 players are on the board, who do you take?

CB- Trent McDuffie
6%
DT- Jordan Davis
41%
S- Kyle Hamilton
53%

Total votes: 17

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Draft Day Question #3

Post by VikingsVictorious »

allday1991 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:00 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:52 pm
McDuffie is the player I have seen mocked to us most often. I'm getting psyched for Jordan Davis.
I have to disagree, majority of mocks think we are big on Stingley.
Derek Stingley Jr. continues to annihilate the field, as he’s got 43 of our 90 selections this week. Yes, he has nearly half of the selections from mock drafters around the internet all to himself. Trent McDuffie continues to hold second place among the defensive backs with 14 selections,
https://www.dailynorseman.com/platform/ ... -nfl-draft
Both can be true. They think we are big on Stingley, but he is usually gone so we take McDuffie.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:56 pm Unless I'm mixing this up I've seen a lot of mocks with Hamilton going 2nd overall. Something happened at the combine to "drop his stock" right?
He ran a "slow 40". He ran a 4.59.

It's funny how teams will pass on his over a 4.59 40. Like who the hell cares, the kid is a player. That's why if he fell to us I'd be ecstatic
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:01 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:56 pm Unless I'm mixing this up I've seen a lot of mocks with Hamilton going 2nd overall. Something happened at the combine to "drop his stock" right?

It's funny how teams will pass on his over a 4.59 40. Like who the hell cares, the kid is a player. That's why if he fell to us I'd be ecstatic
I would prefer a 4.5, but can live with a 4.59 and great instincts. I'd take him at 12 for sure.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Not to mention he’s 6’4”, that helps a lot. I’d love to see the combine add a 100m sprint, it would give us a better idea of short speed long speed. Taller g guys IMO are going to be slower off the start and faster in the long run, Bolt never had a great 40 so would he be considered slow? I understand football usually works in short yardage burst so a 40 yard is a better tell tale test however if they started running 100m sprints you’d start to see players with not the greatest 40 but one of the best 100s. How does that weigh into a persons “speed”.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

McDuffie's short arms scare me. I've seen him referred to as likely a slot CB in the NFL. At 12? That seems nuts.

Davis is a hard read for me: like he could be a game wrecker or he could struggle to be fit enough to consistently make a difference at the next level. High ceiling and low floor.

Hamilton is not at a position of super high value or high need for us, so it kind of doesn't make perfect sense, but you don't look a gift horse in the mouth. He's a special, stand out player.

Stingley seems like the exact right pick, but mocks are showing him going higher than 12 now.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

allday1991 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:15 pm

Not to mention he’s 6’4”, that helps a lot. I’d love to see the combine add a 100m sprint, it would give us a better idea of short speed long speed. Taller g guys IMO are going to be slower off the start and faster in the long run, Bolt never had a great 40 so would he be considered slow? I understand football usually works in short yardage burst so a 40 yard is a better tell tale test however if they started running 100m sprints you’d start to see players with not the greatest 40 but one of the best 100s. How does that weigh into a persons “speed”.
Speed is important but a 4.50 vs 4.59 means nothing. Hamilton is a great football player. When he sees the play he has anticipation. That can't be measured. I think he will be there at 12 and if he is that better be the pick. Does anybody think Joey Browner was a rocket runner? He could move on the football field. Track speed and football speed aren't the same. If the guy ran a 5.5 then yes he's slow. He wouldn't have been a starter at a big time school. Some guys are better track athletes than others. I guess the 40 is a track event. Some guys are great a lifting weights but can't move people. Why? Maybe leverage or angles. Being 6' 4" is incredible. His arms are probably 40 inches. McDuffie has 30 inch arms. He can't make plays on the ball. Zero reach around.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

I would take Hamilton, he is a stud but if Hamilton is gone, Vikings should trade down and get McDuffie
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:01 am
allday1991 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:15 pm

Speed is important but a 4.50 vs 4.59 means nothing. Hamilton is a great football player. When he sees the play he has anticipation. That can't be measured. I think he will be there at 12 and if he is that better be the pick. Does anybody think Joey Browner was a rocket runner? He could move on the football field. Track speed and football speed aren't the same. If the guy ran a 5.5 then yes he's slow. He wouldn't have been a starter at a big time school. Some guys are better track athletes than others. I guess the 40 is a track event. Some guys are great a lifting weights but can't move people. Why? Maybe leverage or angles. Being 6' 4" is incredible. His arms are probably 40 inches. McDuffie has 30 inch arms. He can't make plays on the ball. Zero reach around.
Any more, teams go a lot deeper than just straight 40 time. Splits are really important. For D-linemen, pass rushers, etc., the first 10 yards are everything. Measures their get-off ability. For corners, it’s the last 10 — makeup speed. All these drills they do at the combine, they tell scouts important things about the player. For example, it’s amazing how much emphasis is placed on the broad jump for certain positions. It’s a measure of explosiveness. Same with vertical jump, something you wouldn’t think was that important for big dudes, but actually is.

In the end, you’re right. If a guy can play, you’ll see it on film. Hamilton has all the instincts you could ever want.

Most of all, I want a difference-maker at 12. I know it’s never a sure thing, but you hope you don’t have to draft this high very often. When you do, you want to hit.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Watching some of Hamilton's highlights. The kid's a baller. My only concern is that we have two solid safeties, so how would we get him on the field?
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Texas Vike wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:48 pm Watching some of Hamilton's highlights. The kid's a baller. My only concern is that we have two solid safeties, so how would we get him on the field?
Smith is 33 and is averaging 2 highest cap hit in the NFL according to OTC. How long can that go on? We can just say times up thanks for the memories and move along. The other guy is a converted CB who played very little so I'm not sure how that is solid. It's more hopeful. For Smith Pro Football Focus grades him at 79.1, which is the 10th-best for a safety in the NFL. It might not be the 92.3 grade from 2017. That's a huge slide. Not the same player anymore. I realize fans like to see players stay forever but that can't happen with the cap unless they take a big time drop and can still play. Hamilton could be BPA when we pick.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Completely agree with Char'Vike.
Hamilton is the next difference maker at Safety. I think that he immediately starts with Harry. I would be very happy with this pick at 12.
However, I am a huge believer in interior pressure. Thus Jordan Davis is still my favorite here. 6'6" 340 and fast. How do you stop that ??? His burst demands double teams. There has never been a player with that size and burst. My other favorite is Devote Wyatt due to his measurements and speed that parallel Aaron Donald.

I also have 1 sleeper pick that would get me so excited that I would probably buy season tickets while living in Florida. What if we heard..

With the 12th pick of the 2022 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select .... Jameson Williams... Wide Receiver... Alabama !!!!

That would set the NFC world on fire. With JJ, Thielen, and Jameson... Holy smokes !!!

Imagine Dalvin Cook running with the ball in space. Imagine having an open WR everywhere. This pick would make the "draft gurus" go absolutely nuts !!!
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

IIsweet wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:04 am Completely agree with Char'Vike.
Hamilton is the next difference maker at Safety. I think that he immediately starts with Harry. I would be very happy with this pick at 12.
However, I am a huge believer in interior pressure. Thus Jordan Davis is still my favorite here. 6'6" 340 and fast. How do you stop that ??? His burst demands double teams. There has never been a player with that size and burst. My other favorite is Devote Wyatt due to his measurements and speed that parallel Aaron Donald.

I also have 1 sleeper pick that would get me so excited that I would probably buy season tickets while living in Florida. What if we heard..

With the 12th pick of the 2022 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select .... Jameson Williams... Wide Receiver... Alabama !!!!

That would set the NFC world on fire. With JJ, Thielen, and Jameson... Holy smokes !!!

Imagine Dalvin Cook running with the ball in space. Imagine having an open WR everywhere. This pick would make the "draft gurus" go absolutely nuts !!!
I looked at our depth chart and it's hard looking at a 3-4 lineup but it looks like Harrison Phillips will be our LDE, Tomlison/Watts NT and Tymann/?? at RDE. I thought Phillips was an inside guy with zero push. Maybe they see something else in him which is ok. I wouldn't take WR out of the picture at No 12. I like Olave. We need speed on the outside. Also AT is 32. That Davis guy might fit in this scheme as a DE to use his speed. His size is off the charts. 340 is a massive human. Won't be easy throwing over 6'6" either. Too Tall Davis. Hopefully they take the best guy at 12. Two things I don't want to see is a reach for a CB or a trade down in a thin draft. This WR class has many good prospects. That's why the Packer told their guys to take a hike. 12 will be interesting but I don't want to see the phone in hand if Hamilton is sitting there. I'll turn it off at that point.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

IIsweet wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:04 am Completely agree with Char'Vike.

I like the way you think. :govikes: :banana:
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

I like the mock draft database. Crunches the numbers from 100 mocks and gives the most highly projected results.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/mo ... draft-2022

The most commonly mocked player to the Vikings is Trent McDuffie.

That said McDuffie is definitely not who I want.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:00 pm I like the mock draft database. Crunches the numbers from 100 mocks and gives the most highly projected results.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/mo ... draft-2022

The most commonly mocked player to the Vikings is Trent McDuffie.

That said McDuffie is definitely not who I want.
They must have forgot Speilman is no longer with us. I assume Hamilton will be the very next pick also. If that is the pick once the booing stops Zygi needs to step up to the mic and say he has an announcement. Kewi has been fired so me, Mark and our cap whizz Brez will finish this thing off over the next few days.