Are we overlooking drafting DL or LB in round 1?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Are we overlooking drafting DL or LB in round 1?

Post by VikingsVictorious »

IIsweet wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:43 am I would be happy with the following at 12:
DL Jordan Davis
WR Jameson Williams
WR Garrett Wilson
S Kyle Hamilton
CB Derek Stingley

Those are my faves.
I am expecting Hutchinson, Walker, Thibodeaux, Neal, Ekwanu, Cross, Gardner, Willis, to go before the above. It wouldn't surprise me that the next 5 are the ones above. If staying put... I hope to take one of them !
My list is pretty much Identical to yours. If none of them are available a tradedown to get the 2 KC FRPs wouldn't be bad.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:54 am
IIsweet wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:43 am I would be happy with the following at 12:
DL Jordan Davis
WR Jameson Williams
WR Garrett Wilson
S Kyle Hamilton
CB Derek Stingley

Those are my faves.
I am expecting Hutchinson, Walker, Thibodeaux, Neal, Ekwanu, Cross, Gardner, Willis, to go before the above. It wouldn't surprise me that the next 5 are the ones above. If staying put... I hope to take one of them !
My list is pretty much Identical to yours. If none of them are available a tradedown to get the 2 KC FRPs wouldn't be bad.
I would take 29 and 30. That would give us 2 good players. I keep looking at the 2023 draft class and actually am leaning towards a 1st this year and a 1st next. I think that it gives us the ammo to always stay ahead of the game and to dictate our draft and implement how we want it to go.
With 2 1sts next year, we can always move up, down, accumulate additional1st in 2024 and so forth.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

Haven't seen Devin Lloyd mentioned. I would be fine with him.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

DL Jordan Davis
WR Jameson Williams
WR Garrett Wilson
S Kyle Hamilton
CB Derek Stingley

Those are my faves.
All of those guys I’d be happy with, they all that “it” potential, good list.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

allday1991 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:57 pm
Agreed I'd be good with any of those guys.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:04 am
allday1991 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:57 pm

Cool it looks like we have consensus on the Vikings draft board pertaining to the #12 pick. Any dissenters speak now or forever hold your piece. Pun intended :lol: :banana:
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

I am looking more at a good WR, like Williams or Wilson. We have to have some with great talent for a pick 12.
Wouldnt mind trading down for a great deal either.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:35 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:04 am

Cool it looks like we have consensus on the Vikings draft board pertaining to the #12 pick. Any dissenters speak now or forever hold your piece. Pun intended :lol: :banana:
Davis is the only guy I'd want from that list at 12.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

fiestavike wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:40 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:35 am
Davis is the only guy I'd want from that list at 12.
Who else would you take at 12 then?
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:41 am I am looking more at a good WR, like Williams or Wilson. We have to have some with great talent for a pick 12.
Wouldnt mind trading down for a great deal either.
JJ I agree with you. If we're going to draft a WR at 12 it has to be one of those 2. Otherwise look elsewhere.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Last night I watched the fan's mock draft and we took Stingley at 12. Jordan Davis and Jameson Williams were available, as was Charles Cross. It was interesting to hear former GM Mike Tannenbaum say that he was very much against this pick. His thoughts hit home hard with me as he said that he is an oft injured player. Does he have great physical tools and potential? Absolutely, but he is not on the field to demonstrate those enough. At 12, you have play makers and difference makers available and that is a pick that you use to make your team better, not one that you "hope" makes your team better !!!

After that, it made a lot of sense to me and I completely agree. We have some young CBs in the facility already. We can always add another CB in rd 2 or 3. There are guys available. Maybe not to Stingley's potential, but Stingley is rarely at his potential !
So I have been also thinking about new coaches and new schemes. Apparently in our 3-4 scheme, the CB is not as much of a priority as some may think. The fast LB is very important as we need them to be able to cover. The need for pass rush is crucial. 2 of our 3 down lineman will be Phillips and Tomlinson, and I feel we need a 3rd guy that rotates keeping guys fresh. Do we have that with Lynch, Twyman, Watts, and such. Jordan Davis creates a lot of mismatches on that DL and we have the personnel to keep him able to play at full speed. I also think that Devonte Wyatt would be an exceptional pick also. It may be a little early, by a couple picks, but he could easily be that guy in our DL.

I look at the offense and have seen that the Rams were in a 3WR set most often last year. This makes me really think that this could be a pick that we need to consider as well. JJ and Thielen are set in stone but KJ was a good player, not special, imo. Is this enough? I feel that adding a Jameson Williams here makes a ton of sense, plus it creates as good of a WR trio as there is in the league. Tannenbaum was absolutely raving about him as well. Saying his production and a freak accident are reasons he takes him opposed to a Stingley.

So, after all of that, I feel that with the players I had mentioned before being available at 12... I am now down to 4. Give me 1 of those and I feel that we are a lot better football team immediately.
DT Jordan Davis
S Kyle Hamilton
WR Jameson Williams
WR Garrett Wilson
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

IIsweet wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:48 am Last night I watched the fan's mock draft and we took Stingley at 12. Jordan Davis and Jameson Williams were available, as was Charles Cross. It was interesting to hear former GM Mike Tannenbaum say that he was very much against this pick. His thoughts hit home hard with me as he said that he is an oft injured player. Does he have great physical tools and potential? Absolutely, but he is not on the field to demonstrate those enough. At 12, you have play makers and difference makers available and that is a pick that you use to make your team better, not one that you "hope" makes your team better !!!

After that, it made a lot of sense to me and I completely agree. We have some young CBs in the facility already. We can always add another CB in rd 2 or 3. There are guys available. Maybe not to Stingley's potential, but Stingley is rarely at his potential !
So I have been also thinking about new coaches and new schemes. Apparently in our 3-4 scheme, the CB is not as much of a priority as some may think. The fast LB is very important as we need them to be able to cover. The need for pass rush is crucial. 2 of our 3 down lineman will be Phillips and Tomlinson, and I feel we need a 3rd guy that rotates keeping guys fresh. Do we have that with Lynch, Twyman, Watts, and such. Jordan Davis creates a lot of mismatches on that DL and we have the personnel to keep him able to play at full speed. I also think that Devonte Wyatt would be an exceptional pick also. It may be a little early, by a couple picks, but he could easily be that guy in our DL.

I look at the offense and have seen that the Rams were in a 3WR set most often last year. This makes me really think that this could be a pick that we need to consider as well. JJ and Thielen are set in stone but KJ was a good player, not special, imo. Is this enough? I feel that adding a Jameson Williams here makes a ton of sense, plus it creates as good of a WR trio as there is in the league. Tannenbaum was absolutely raving about him as well. Saying his production and a freak accident are reasons he takes him opposed to a Stingley.

So, after all of that, I feel that with the players I had mentioned before being available at 12... I am now down to 4. Give me 1 of those and I feel that we are a lot better football team immediately.
DT Jordan Davis
S Kyle Hamilton
WR Jameson Williams
WR Garrett Wilson
If Cross is available I'd have a hard time passing on him.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

The more I evaluate this draft it just seems like Davis is going to be a Man amongst boys in the NFL. His size and athleticism seem to be unparalleled. So if he's there take him. Don't overthink it.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

VikeVictorious, completely agree. Nearly as impressive is 6'3" 315 Devonte Wyatt. He is even more explosive than Davis. I keep going back and forth on adding him to my list. However, 6'6" 341 is a MASSIVE man. He is a heavier and faster version of Calais Campbell, who has wreaked havoc on the NFL for years now.
I sure hope that our top options are the top choices for the Vikings come tomorrow night.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I would like to add that I hope we add OLB/DE/Edge Amare Barno during this draft also. This dude can fly at 6'6" 245 !! Ran a 4.37 40 at the combine. That type of speed is unheard of at that position. He is a project though, but he has some giddyup.