Draft Day Question #2

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

KC sends: 2022 1st round picks (29 and 30), 2023 mid rounder. Vikings send: 12th pick

No Brainer
53%
Hesitant but yes
24%
Not a chance
12%
Unsure
12%

Total votes: 17

IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Draft Day Question #2

Post by IIsweet »

I think Spiel man also looked at adding all of those late picks to fill out the roster. After the draft, there is a free for all on the undrafted players. He just got the ones he wanted by drafting them. It makes a ton of sense to do that, but not trading out of quality players to add those in the end.
I am curious as to how Kwesi and Kevin handle this draft! I would do almost anything to be in the draft room with them this week
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:43 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:03 pm

I honestly liked Spielman's strategy of getting volume. Again, I dont think he mortgaged our future or anything by doing it. I dont think he passed on all world talent just so he could accumulate picks. But I completely understood it. The more picks you gain, the higher your chances of hitting. Yeah most of your day 3 picks are going to fail. Rounds 5-7, the "bust" rate is 75% or higher over the years. But again, there is a 1 in 4 chance you hit. There's Stefon Diggs type players out there, you just have to find them.

But it's simple math. The more picks you have, the more chances you have of hitting and the more mobility you have in the draft. Never once did I say "Damn, Spielman just passed on this stud just so he could accumulate late rounders". He just got the compensation he wanted and seemed to always ask for another throw-in pick.

It's funny because I actually do the same exact thing in fantasy football in nearly every trade I make, and I make a lot in the leagues I'm in. But basically I'll come to terms on a trade with someone, get the compensation I really want and then say "throw in an 8th rounder and we got a deal". 98% of the time, the guy still makes the trade. That's just simply maximizing my return. Its not that I like to "accumulate late round picks". Chances are, my 8th round pick amounts to very little but I'm taking that "what if" chance or at worst, it gives me more trade ammo. I'm squeezing every nickel I can out of the trade and not settling on what was good for them. Every year I'm loaded with mid to late round picks. Sometimes I use them to draft a player, other times they help sweeten trades, they help me move up, down and all around.

Yes I know being an NFL GM is nothing like fantasy football but that's not my point. My point is, always trying to maximize the value you get in a trade. That applies to the NFL, fantasy football, life, etc. It's not that he sits there and says, "I have to gather a bunch of late rounders in this draft". But if a trade presents itself, Spielman always seemed to attempt to squeeze everything out of it that he could. And personally, I admire that because I'd do the same thing. If that causes me to get the label of "being obsessed with late round picks", then so be it. I'll continue to think it's a smart approach to take.
He just passed up the best rookie QB from last year and here we sit with no QB of the future. That can't even be called a miss it was death to our roster. Players can be found anywhere we all know that. Players come off the street. KC picked a starting OL player in round 6 this year. That don't happen often. We had 3rd's and 4th's this year with zero return from any of them. It's not like they had to beat out all pro players. Attempting to squeeze is what got him. His focus was volume and not talent level. That never works. Guys need to be able to play the game at the pro level first. Only one year is unfair but some of these guys need to perform this year and become starters. Good starters not Bradberry types. Conklin was a good later pick. Many on here felt it was a good pick.
I know you love Mac Jones, but I'm honestly not sold on him nor would I really care to have him sitting on our roster right now. I just think he's a game manager. I could be wrong but I'm just not big on the guy. I'd rather hunt for a QBOF in the 2023 draft because I think it's going to be a very good class. Last years class didnt impress me.

Yeah KC picked Trey Smith in the 6th who I was advocating for all offseason leading up to the draft. But yeah we had 3rd and 4ths with zero return. But if we drafted Mac Jones with Cousins on this roster, we currently wouldnt have a return right now out of him either. We chose to go QB in the 3rd instead so a pick like that there's going to be no return right now regardless. But we got a return out of Cam Bynum who looks like he's in line to start this year. Kene Nwangwu looks like he's one of the better kick returners in the league. And I still believe there will be a return out of guys like Patrick Jones and Wyatt Davis. ISM started to give us some return towards the end of last year as well. You act like we're suppose to just draft a class of all day 1 starters. Look across the league right now. Let me know how many day 1 starters came out of everyone's draft classes. Some of these guys need time to develop.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:32 am
CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:43 pm
He just passed up the best rookie QB from last year and here we sit with no QB of the future. That can't even be called a miss it was death to our roster. Players can be found anywhere we all know that. Players come off the street. KC picked a starting OL player in round 6 this year. That don't happen often. We had 3rd's and 4th's this year with zero return from any of them. It's not like they had to beat out all pro players. Attempting to squeeze is what got him. His focus was volume and not talent level. That never works. Guys need to be able to play the game at the pro level first. Only one year is unfair but some of these guys need to perform this year and become starters. Good starters not Bradberry types. Conklin was a good later pick. Many on here felt it was a good pick.
I know you love Mac Jones, but I'm honestly not sold on him nor would I really care to have him sitting on our roster right now. I just think he's a game manager. I could be wrong but I'm just not big on the guy. I'd rather hunt for a QBOF in the 2023 draft because I think it's going to be a very good class. Last years class didnt impress me.

Yeah KC picked Trey Smith in the 6th who I was advocating for all offseason leading up to the draft. But yeah we had 3rd and 4ths with zero return. But if we drafted Mac Jones with Cousins on this roster, we currently wouldnt have a return right now out of him either. We chose to go QB in the 3rd instead so a pick like that there's going to be no return right now regardless. But we got a return out of Cam Bynum who looks like he's in line to start this year. Kene Nwangwu looks like he's one of the better kick returners in the league. And I still believe there will be a return out of guys like Patrick Jones and Wyatt Davis. ISM started to give us some return towards the end of last year as well. You act like we're suppose to just draft a class of all day 1 starters. Look across the league right now. Let me know how many day 1 starters came out of everyone's draft classes. Some of these guys need time to develop.
Mac Jones did what he did. Lead a team to the playoffs as a rookie. That was a non playoff team the year before. If we had both him and Cousins then we can deal Cousins. I think he has value others think he's worthless. Or deal Jones and get great return. QBs that can play are worth a fortune. I don't expect an entire draft class to be day 1 starters. That's a stretch. But I do expect 2nd + 3rd rounders to be solid back up players who can step in and play decent if needed. Bynum actually showed great movement from the safety spot. He's No 1 on the depth chart. I'll give Zim credit for his ability to develop pass rushers and secondary players. Moving Bynum from CB might prove to be a great move. I agree with you on that kick returner. Not many players return kicks for TDs. He had two of them. ISM did get on the field which is a great achievement for a late WR pick.