Rodgers' 4 year deal and what it means for the Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Rodgers' 4 year deal and what it means for the Vikings

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

IIsweet wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:33 pm
VikingLord wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:17 pm

That is a steep price to pay but Wilson is probably worth it.

I agree with Kapp - Wilson is heading into a good situation that should enable him to thrive. Plus, it'll be fun to watch Wilson and Mahomes duel at least twice a year.
And Herbert !!!
3 teams in that division could go 12-5.
Crazy !!!
With Rodgers in GB, will we ever win with Kirk? I do not believe so. I hope that we can trade him for some draft picks.
I would absolutely create the most disruptive DL possible.
Like many have mentioned before, draft a QB every year... Just in case one of them hits !
Also, I am a believer in drafting explosive players and not pursuing FA superstars.
Develop our guys and get hometown discounts to stay put, or let guys go. There is a reason guys hit FA and aren't resigned by their initial Home team. Not sure I want them !
That should be known as "The Zimmer Principle" because it's exactly what Mike Zimmer tried to do. Can't find a better QB than Rodgers, so create a defense to stymie him. To Zimmer's credit, Rodgers had more trouble with his defenses than any other team. But in the long run, it didn't work.

I do like your idea of drafting a QB every year. However, if we're constantly taking the Nate Stanleys and Kellen Monds of the world, I'm not sure that gets us anywhere. At some point, the Minnesota Vikings need to identify a young star at the position and do what's necessary to move up and draft him ... not trade back for a dozen Day 3 picks. Surely KAM sees the folly in the Vikings' former draft philosophy.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
SunyP
Practice Squad

Post by SunyP »

How does it affect us? The division seems less up for grabs, certainly, so one could argue we would be less likely to have a 'win now' strategy and more of a build a team approach. IMO, it won't change what KAM and KOC are looking to do, but it may make it ever so slightly more likely that we trade Kirk and/or invest a 1st round draft pick in a QB.
[/quote]

Maybe having 2 new coaches on our team, (1 on Offense and 1 on Defense ) that coached in GB can help to slow AR. Hopefully they have some insight to his weaknesses and vulnerabilities.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:28 pm
VikingLord wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:17 pm

That is a steep price to pay but Wilson is probably worth it.

I agree with Kapp - Wilson is heading into a good situation that should enable him to thrive. Plus, it'll be fun to watch Wilson and Mahomes duel at least twice a year.
It is a steep price until there are names associated with those picks, and then it will be Russel Wilson for 3 or 4 very forgettable players.
That's a fair observation, but it's worth noting that its possible some, or all, of those picks enable the Seahawks to rebuild quickly into a contender ala what the Cowboys managed to do after trading Walker to the Vikings.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:01 pm
It is a steep price until there are names associated with those picks, and then it will be Russel Wilson for 3 or 4 very forgettable players.
That's a fair observation, but it's worth noting that its possible some, or all, of those picks enable the Seahawks to rebuild quickly into a contender ala what the Cowboys managed to do after trading Walker to the Vikings.
That Walker trade that ended up being 3 1sts plus + 2 2nds + some change, ended up looking as bad as it did because Dallas did much better than most would have with those picks. Emmet, Woodsen and Smith are 3 really good starters who played key parts in their SB runs.

Most trades don't end up that way though, and recently teams who have given up similar hauls for a QB, LA X 2 (Goff and Stafford), Philly and KC, all have SB rings while the teams that they traded with do not. Now the Bills, Cleveland and TN all got better because of those trades and with the exception of Buffalo did the right thing trading those picks/QBs away, but 2 1sts + some change only gets you so far. Especially when one of those 1st round picks turns into 32nd pick because the QB you just traded to wins the SB.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:18 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:14 pm Oh, and this has little to do with Miss Erin Rodgers, but …

Seattle is trading Russell Wilson to Denver. Freaking George Paton.

To bring the comment back on topic, reports are that Denver never actually targeted Rodgers.
Should have made him our GM when we had the chance. I don't care what they gave up, it was worth it.
They gave up too much. It will be Denver's version of the Herschel Walker trade.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:01 pm
Yep I see it as the new version of the Herschel Walker trade.