DeShawn Watson?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

DeShawn Watson?

Post by Angels Wings »

Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson reportedly views the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Minnesota Vikings as potential fits if the Texans trade him this offseason.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/100 ... ntial-fits

Does this mean that Cousins could be out the door if this is actually true? Because, they both won't be here.
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
makila
Franchise Player

Re: DeShawn Watson?

Post by makila »

I don't see him moving until there is clarity on his legal situation. Such risk for a team to give up serious assets only for him to turn around and be unable to play. Whether by nfl or legal system.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

makila wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:42 am I don't see him moving until there is clarity on his legal situation. Such risk for a team to give up serious assets only for him to turn around and be unable to play. Whether by nfl or legal system.
Correct. If what you said wasn't true he would have been moved last year.

From a pure football standpoint he is a massive upgrade over our current QB, but there is a good chance he will never play football again.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:11 am
makila wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:42 am I don't see him moving until there is clarity on his legal situation. Such risk for a team to give up serious assets only for him to turn around and be unable to play. Whether by nfl or legal system.

From a pure football standpoint he is a massive upgrade over our current QB, but there is a good chance he will never play football again.
This is just something to write about. No team will bring this guy in. He will sit and rot. Beyond that he's a loser. 4 wins the last season he started. Mr stat and no wins. People need to wake up. 4 wins is beyond bad.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

That clarity could take years. I'm sure they are checking for other skeletons before moving forward. That's the only way to plan your next move. You kick the rock over and who knows what will jump out.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

The only way this happens is if the Vikings are looking to dump Kirk and his salary. Watson is the type of asset they could get in return for 45 million in cap space. That is, a damaged asset with upside, but a floor that is beneath the basement and who could work for salary matching. But Watson is signed for 4 years, so unless his contract can be voided with a team option or something, the Vikings would have to get serious picks in the deal as well.

Most likely, I think the vikings re-sign Kirk for 3-4 years, empower him to be the team's on-field leader, and commit to building around his strengths.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

CharVike wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:57 am
That clarity could take years. I'm sure they are checking for other skeletons before moving forward. That's the only way to plan your next move. You kick the rock over and who knows what will jump out.
It absolutely could. As stump said above, it's why no one has made a move for him yet. Teams aren't gonna give up the assets the Texans want as long as there is no direction on the legal front. Regardless of on field performance. Imo.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

CharVike wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:53 am

This is just something to write about. No team will bring this guy in. He will sit and rot. Beyond that he's a loser. 4 wins the last season he started. Mr stat and no wins. People need to wake up. 4 wins is beyond bad.
Let's be honest, that Texans organization is a complete and total mess. He only had 4 wins the last time he played, but that was terrible team. in any case, this is all conjecture and speculation, but worthy of discussion I guess...
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Angels Wings wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:55 pm
Let's be honest, that Texans organization is a complete and total mess. He only had 4 wins the last time he played, but that was terrible team. in any case, this is all conjecture and speculation, but worthy of discussion I guess...
Your right that whole thing was bad. We had the same thing. Our GM and HC weren't talking for who knows how long. Probably since the Cousins signing. Our HC and QB never spoke to each other. Both organization were a mess. But everyone pins the wins and loses on the QB. That's part of the deal. People who want Cousins out call him a loser on our mess. People think that Cousins can play some ball blame everything but him. And he has had some crap games like the one against Atlanta when he threw 3 picks in the first half. He should have been benched because it wan't there for him. Our problem is nothing on the bench. We still have that. At least the Texans could put there 3rd rd pick in a game and he could function. Ours can't even function. Bottom line every QB that has played this game needs something around them to be good. Frans career shows that. If we had Jimmy G he wouldn't do what he does IMO. Watson made the playoffs and for what it's worth he is 1-2. Cousins is 1-3. Neither lite the playoffs up like Jimmy G. But Jimmy always had a better team around him. Maybe he helps make them better. Who knows.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

CharVike wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:25 pm
Angels Wings wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:55 pm
Your right that whole thing was bad. We had the same thing. Our GM and HC weren't talking for who knows how long. Probably since the Cousins signing. Our HC and QB never spoke to each other. Both organization were a mess. But everyone pins the wins and loses on the QB. That's part of the deal. People who want Cousins out call him a loser on our mess. People think that Cousins can play some ball blame everything but him. And he has had some crap games like the one against Atlanta when he threw 3 picks in the first half. He should have been benched because it wan't there for him. Our problem is nothing on the bench. We still have that. At least the Texans could put there 3rd rd pick in a game and he could function. Ours can't even function. Bottom line every QB that has played this game needs something around them to be good. Frans career shows that. If we had Jimmy G he wouldn't do what he does IMO. Watson made the playoffs and for what it's worth he is 1-2. Cousins is 1-3. Neither lite the playoffs up like Jimmy G. But Jimmy always had a better team around him. Maybe he helps make them better. Who knows.
We have covered this countless times over the past few months. I have yet to hear of a single poster on this board blame Cousins and only Cousins for every loss we've had. I have also not heard of a single poster give credit to Cousins and Cousins only for every win. That would be asinine and every rational fan knows this.

However, when looking at QB's, I do think it's important to see how that player impacted his teams win. Is he clutch in the 4th quarter? Was he a quarterback who regularly got to the playoffs? Was he a QB of a team that won in the playoffs? What was the make-up of the rest of the team. Was he serviceable despite having a horrible defense? Was it clear he was a good player despite playing on an awful team?

There are countless factors that go into getting the right guy to lead the right team. All is not equal. This isn't video game football, it's real life football.

In regards to Watson, his stats the last few years were awesome, despite the franchise being a wreck. Even in that last season he had almost 5,000 yards, 33 tds and 7 ints. In his case there were far bigger issues than the QB position. That doesn't mean he's an all-world player. My personal opinion is he'd be an upgrade for most NFL teams if he gets the option to play again, but that is just my opinion. Based more on what I've seen with my eyes and not his teams record that last season he was a starter.
i'm ready for a beer.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Whenever I read stories about a trade of Watson I always wonder what the Texans would demand in return for him. Yes, he has many off-field issues, but I don't see a scenario where the Texans let him go without demanding a king's ransom in return. I guess the Vikings could swap Cousins for him, but even in that scenario I think the Texans would likely demand significant draft consideration as well. Watson is relatively young and can still develop and has a higher ceiling than the older, more established Cousins. It wouldn't be a straight-up trade.

Personally, if the Vikings really want a younger QB who plays like Watson, they should find a way to draft Malik Willis of Liberty in this year's draft. The two of them are almost clones of each other in terms of play style, weaknesses, and overall ceiling. They're even similar physically. Willis might cost them something to move up to ensure they get him, but Willis doesn't come with the off-field baggage Watson would bring and the Vikings could bring him along for a year because they could keep Cousins as the starting QB.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:47 pm Whenever I read stories about a trade of Watson I always wonder what the Texans would demand in return for him. Yes, he has many off-field issues, but I don't see a scenario where the Texans let him go without demanding a king's ransom in return. I guess the Vikings could swap Cousins for him, but even in that scenario I think the Texans would likely demand significant draft consideration as well. Watson is relatively young and can still develop and has a higher ceiling than the older, more established Cousins. It wouldn't be a straight-up trade.

Personally, if the Vikings really want a younger QB who plays like Watson, they should find a way to draft Malik Willis of Liberty in this year's draft. The two of them are almost clones of each other in terms of play style, weaknesses, and overall ceiling. They're even similar physically. Willis might cost them something to move up to ensure they get him, but Willis doesn't come with the off-field baggage Watson would bring and the Vikings could bring him along for a year because they could keep Cousins as the starting QB.
With his value at an all time low and the controversy surrounding him, they certainly cannot ask for a 1st rounder(s) or even 2nd rounder(s) for him. The high bar would be a 3rd(s) along with picks in the 4th-7th rounds.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

You do realize that the Texans won the AFC South with Watson at the helm each of the two years prior to the 4-12 campaign, right?

He also won a national championship his last year at Clemson and threw for 405 yards in a 45-40 loss to Alabama in the national championship game the year before. "Mr. Stat and no wins" is demonstrably false.

It's entirely possible that Deshaun Watson won't play again. But if that's the case, it will be because of legal issues, not because he's a "loser." And if his legal issues clear, you'd better believe there will be a LOT of teams interested in him. Maybe even the Vikings.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:47 pm Whenever I read stories about a trade of Watson I always wonder what the Texans would demand in return for him. Yes, he has many off-field issues, but I don't see a scenario where the Texans let him go without demanding a king's ransom in return. I guess the Vikings could swap Cousins for him, but even in that scenario I think the Texans would likely demand significant draft consideration as well. Watson is relatively young and can still develop and has a higher ceiling than the older, more established Cousins. It wouldn't be a straight-up trade.

Malik Willis is an impressive athlete with a cannon for an arm and incredible instincts. But comparing him to Deshaun Watson is unfair to him.

Willis is the polar opposite of Kirk Cousins, and I don't mean that in a good way. For whatever faults Cousins has, he can run and command an offense. He can play within a system. Malik Willis doesn't have the first clue as to how to play within a system. He's played four years of Hero Ball, which works in Division III but will get him eaten alive in the NFL.

There's a chance Malik Willis will someday be a franchise quarterback. He certainly has the tools. But he's not close to Deshaun Watson, who has played within pro-style systems and had success at the highest levels everywhere he's been. If Willis ever gets to Watson's level, it will take time. Experts are saying at least 3 years. That's not me. That's many, many draft analysts. Division III quarterbacks are a real risk, as the league is finding out with Carson Wentz, who's about to be cut, and Trey Lance, whom many are saying will not be ready to start for S.F. next year.

If the Vikings are willing to take the risk and DEVELOP him, I'd be fine with them drafting him. But we fans would need to be very, very patient.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:56 pm

Malik Willis is an impressive athlete with a cannon for an arm and incredible instincts. But comparing him to Deshaun Watson is unfair to him.

Willis is the polar opposite of Kirk Cousins, and I don't mean that in a good way. For whatever faults Cousins has, he can run and command an offense. He can play within a system. Malik Willis doesn't have the first clue as to how to play within a system. He's played four years of Hero Ball, which works in Division III but will get him eaten alive in the NFL.

There's a chance Malik Willis will someday be a franchise quarterback. He certainly has the tools. But he's not close to Deshaun Watson, who has played within pro-style systems and had success at the highest levels everywhere he's been. If Willis ever gets to Watson's level, it will take time. Experts are saying at least 3 years. That's not me. That's many, many draft analysts. Division III quarterbacks are a real risk, as the league is finding out with Carson Wentz, who's about to be cut, and Trey Lance, whom many are saying will not be ready to start for S.F. next year.

If the Vikings are willing to take the risk and DEVELOP him, I'd be fine with them drafting him. But we fans would need to be very, very patient.
Didn't he play for Liberty or am I thinking of another guy? Liberty is an independent FBS school.
i'm ready for a beer.