Kevin O'Connell will be next Vikings coach

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Kevin O'Connell will be next Vikings coach

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I'm pretty excited with the staff he has put together and can't wait for the press conference.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

CharVike wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:50 pm
vikeinmontana wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:56 pm

I would too. Winning the Super Bowl is very hard. My guess is he's worked his #### off to win it all. I'd actually think less of him if he didn't celebrate with all those that helped him reach the pinnacle. Otherwise what is the point? :?
I agree with you on this. It shows his character. To go as far as they did is a tremendous accomplishment. Take a day to enjoy it. The road for him ahead has many pot holes.
Not to mention, imagine how busy the guy has been the last two weeks. He was essentially working two jobs at once. He seems to be filling in his staff quite nicely all the while game planning for the biggest game of his life. I hope he enjoys the day, celebrates a huge accomplishment, and he'll be ready to go full speed starting tomorrow.
i'm ready for a beer.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:08 pm O’Connell will be introduced Thursday.
They beat you to it. :D
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:08 pm If I were Kevin O’Connell, I’d rather coach the Vikings.
Well, at least this way he can make his own name for himself. Plus, he's starting in a challenging, but not impossibly challenging, situation where its feasible he can get the team on the track he wants them to be on fairly quickly.

With the changes at GM and head coach, I am actually excited to see how they draft this year as I think that will provide real insight into where they want the team to go.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:41 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:08 pm O’Connell will be introduced Thursday.
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:08 pm If I were Kevin O’Connell, I’d rather coach the Vikings.
Well, at least this way he can make his own name for himself. Plus, he's starting in a challenging, but not impossibly challenging, situation where its feasible he can get the team on the track he wants them to be on fairly quickly.

With the changes at GM and head coach, I am actually excited to see how they draft this year as I think that will provide real insight into where they want the team to go.
Me too.

However, there's a LOT that needs to happen before the draft. Huge questions surrounding current Vikings players.

• Kirk Cousins ($45 million cap hit) — We've beat this horse to death.
• Danielle Hunter ($26 million) — This is almost as prohibitive a cap hit as Cousins. New deal? What if the new coaching staff wants to play 3-4 and he doesn't want to stand up (like Jared Allen)? Hunter could net the Vikings a lot in a trade.
• Adam Thielen ($16.8 million) — Like most of us, I want to see AT retire a Viking. But with this cap hit at age 32, is it feasible?
• Eric Kendricks ($13.5 million) — How is it possible that EK turns 30 on the last day of this month? Is he about to decline?
• Harrison Smith ($13.4 million) — Speaking of age, Harry is now 33.
• Dalvin Cook ($11.9 million) — Cook isn't going anywhere. But how is it that the Vikings have 3 of the top 6 cap hits going to positions (LB, S, RB) that don't typically command that kind of money?
• Michael Pierce ($10.2 million) — For no more than we've gotten out of Pierce, I'd be shocked if the Vikings don't release him and take the $4 million dead cap hit. But with new defensive coaching staff, who knows what they might have in mind?

What the Vikings do in the draft is going to depend a lot on what they do with these and other players. I'll say it again. If we think the new regime is going to come in here and just run it back with the same guys who missed the playoffs 3 of the past 4 years, then it's very possible we might be hanging on a bit too tightly to the jerseys of our favorite players.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Glad he finally decided to come here.

This is going to be a fun draft I think. Some big names/big cap hits will be gone, and new FAs will be here ( lets hope Mensah doesnt do what Rick did, and hope he can find a good Oline, like a OC named Lindstrom. :govikes:
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:30 pm

Me too.

However, there's a LOT that needs to happen before the draft. Huge questions surrounding current Vikings players.

• Danielle Hunter ($26 million) — This is almost as prohibitive a cap hit as Cousins. New deal? What if the new coaching staff wants to play 3-4 and he doesn't want to stand up (like Jared Allen)? Hunter could net the Vikings a lot in a trade.
• Adam Thielen ($16.8 million) — Like most of us, I want to see AT retire a Viking. But with this cap hit at age 32, is it feasible?
• Eric Kendricks ($13.5 million) — How is it possible that EK turns 30 on the last day of this month? Is he about to decline?
• Dalvin Cook ($11.9 million) — Cook isn't going anywhere. But how is it that the Vikings have 3 of the top 6 cap hits going to positions (LB, S, RB) that don't typically command that kind of money?
• Michael Pierce ($10.2 million) — For no more than we've gotten out of Pierce, I'd be shocked if the Vikings don't release him and take the $4 million dead cap hit. But with new defensive coaching staff, who knows what they might have in mind?

What the Vikings do in the draft is going to depend a lot on what they do with these and other players. I'll say it again. If we think the new regime is going to come in here and just run it back with the same guys who missed the playoffs 3 of the past 4 years, then it's very possible we might be hanging on a bit too tightly to the jerseys of our favorite players.
Great post, wish I had seen it before I posted. You nailed everything we must do, not should do. :appl:
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

vikeinmontana wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:22 am
fiestavike wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:11 am

I don't know how old you are, but would you agree that the role of defense and defenders has been dramatically undercut in the NFL by rule changes? Putting aside whether that has been a positive or negative development, would you agree that it has been a development?
Yes and no I suppose would be my answer.

There is no doubt the game is different today, and totally geared to the offense. Playing defense without drawing penalties is nearly impossible. So in that regard I'd say that yes, the role of defense has been undercut.

On the flip side, because playing defense within the current rules is so difficult, being tough on that side of the ball is still very important. I can promise that coaches are still emphasizing defense, and it's still valuable in making playoff runs. Do the Rams still win it all Sunday if they didn't dominate Burrow the entire 2nd half? Maybe. But it was still a key in them winning. As was their defense the entire year.

I'm only 41 but still old enough to see how much the game has changed, and understand why some people believe defense isn't as important as it once was. I can understand that thinking, but am still of the belief that a very good defense can guide a team through the playoffs if the other side of the ball is solid as well.
Fair enough. From my point of view the defense has been undercut to such a degree that the game is not much worth watching anymore. The last couple years I've just pretty much skipped watching most of the games, and I haven't missed not watching the low quality product that is being put on the field these days, though I do miss the football of the old days.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:30 pm • Danielle Hunter ($26 million) — This is almost as prohibitive a cap hit as Cousins. New deal? What if the new coaching staff wants to play 3-4 and he doesn't want to stand up (like Jared Allen)? Hunter could net the Vikings a lot in a trade.
I think this is the biggest question this off season aside from what to do at QB and it isn't talked about nearly as much as it should.

Great DEs make 26 million per year, and when healthy, Hunter is top 3 at that position and unlike a certain QB, Hunter has a huge positive impact on his side of the ball.

If Hunter's previous two injuries were flukes, and Hunter is as healthy the next 5 seasons as he was his first 5, trading him would be a big mistake.

If they weren't flukes though, and we are going to see him consistently miss time in the future, the Vikings would be smart to get a 1st for him and try to rebuild their D line through the draft and FAs.

As for 3-4, he might actually be a better fit at 3-4 outside linebacker than as a 4-3 DE.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:39 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:30 pm • Danielle Hunter ($26 million) — This is almost as prohibitive a cap hit as Cousins. New deal? What if the new coaching staff wants to play 3-4 and he doesn't want to stand up (like Jared Allen)? Hunter could net the Vikings a lot in a trade.
I think this is the biggest question this off season aside from what to do at QB and it isn't talked about nearly as much as it should.

Great DEs make 26 million per year, and when healthy, Hunter is top 3 at that position and unlike a certain QB, Hunter has a huge positive impact on his side of the ball.

If Hunter's previous two injuries were flukes, and Hunter is as healthy the next 5 seasons as he was his first 5, trading him would be a big mistake.

If they weren't flukes though, and we are going to see him consistently miss time in the future, the Vikings would be smart to get a 1st for him and try to rebuild their D line through the draft and FAs.

As for 3-4, he might actually be a better fit at 3-4 outside linebacker than as a 4-3 DE.
I dont care what his injury history is, I dont care if they think he could or couldnt fit this new defense, but I'd be doing everything in my power to make sure he is on this roster this coming year.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:30 pm

Me too.

Cousins - I think you need to keep. The haters will say he brings nothing to the team. Re watch the 2nd GB game. Nobody did anything including JJ who is a dam good player. You need a guy that can get him the ball otherwise he will tell them he wants out. He's a pro bowler if Mannion or the countless bridge guys play say bye bye to pro bowl.
Hunter - Outside of QBs players that bring big time pressure are worth a fortune. I'd like to see him stay. Big risk but big pay back. This will come down to the medical staff. If it's a thumbs up then it's a keep. If not then he's out. Be hard to get a 1st rounder. But not all 1st round picks are the same. Top 5 vs bottom 5. Top 5 is worth much more. Need to find a team that is good put needs a big time pass rusher. Usually if your good you have a pass rusher.
Thielen - Bye bye
Kendricks - Bye bye
Smith - Bye Bye
Cook - Bye Bye. The positive is we have a good backup and others that can fill in. The NFL isn't about RBs. Stupid move with the deal the new people need to change it. RBs should always be rookie deal and then see ya. There careers are very short. They take a beating.
Pierce - That's a FA failure which happens more times than people realize. Same with 1st round picks. They don't all play great.
He needs to go.
Tomlison - Another FA waste. He needs to go.
That's the bullet we need to take at this point. No sense in pushing it off or out. Like always it won't happen like this. Based on history it will be the complete opposite of what I posted.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:39 am

Well, we agree it’s a major question, so that’s good.

But I’m not sold on the two previous injuries being flukes. He’s missed 25 of the last 33 games. At some point, availability has to be a concern. I’m not saying he’s injury prone. I’m saying neither you nor I know whether he is. From everything I can tell, you’re not a doctor who has examined him, and I’m quite confident I’m not.

Now when it comes to 3-4, have you asked him what he thinks? I mean, most talent evaluators say he could play just about any position he wanted, so it’s not so much about whether ha can play it. It’s about whether he would. Guys who make $26 million have a lot of leverage in these types of situations. Or what if he’s pissed that his Yoda, Andre Patterson, is no longer with the team? We don’t know what’s on his mind. I’m sure KAM and KOC are already working on that.

Look, all I’m saying is that it’s not a slam dunk he’ll be a Viking in 2022, especially with a draft class full of impact edge rushers.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

When is the introductory press conference?
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
40for60
Starter

Post by 40for60 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:34 am When is the introductory press conference?
Today at 4:00 pm CST.
40for60
Starter

Post by 40for60 »

Vikings name 9 assistant coaches. Mike Pettine is the assistant HC.

https://www.vikings.com/news/mike-petti ... d-donatell
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

40for60 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:31 am Vikings name 9 assistant coaches. Mike Pettine is the assistant HC.

https://www.vikings.com/news/mike-petti ... d-donatell
Is it just me or does it seem like outside of the HC we hired an awful lot of "five teams in five years" guys?

Did we go overboard with the "Assistant" titles?

I'm as optimistic as the next guy but it would be nice to know we are hiring guys that are somewhat wanted elsewhere.

Open mind and all that, "until they prove otherwise" and all that, but sheesh it seems we are counting on a lot of coaches to "gel together and turn their careers around". Oh well, I have my popcorn ready.