Let's play "Reckless Speculation — Kirk Cousins Edition"

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Let's play "Reckless Speculation — Kirk Cousins Edition"

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:23 pm
CharVike wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:01 pm
I'm sure Harrison is ok with it. He makes a little himself for a 33 year old slow safety. So I don't see where Smith didn't get anything. He is paid the 2nd most in the NFL and he's not close to the 2nd best S. He's declining. Yea he's crying all the way to the bank thanks to Kirk. That's a selfish player if there ever was one. He's only looking for the money and I don't blame him. But he needs to work harder and get his skills back. Now's not the time to rest. This leader stuff is a bunch of BS. They say Stafford is the leader of the Rams. That's BS Donald is the leader of that team. Always was and will be until he quiets. Every guy follows him including Stafford. I'm not knocking Stafford he lead that team on some great late drives. But he's not the leader of that team although the media and some fans think he is.
Talk about an apples to oranges comparison. A guy making almost a quarter less than Cousins who could be cut at any time with little cap repercussions if his play starts to falter versus a guy who the Vikings are stuck paying 21% of the salary cap too.
Matt Ryan is the highest CAP guy. He didn't lead that team anywhere. I don't think he out played many either. His team screwed up that CAP hit. Sound familiar?
Yea, what is your point? Another team being stuck with an overpaid QB doesn't make our situation better. Not to mention Ryan is a former MVP who took his team to the SB. What has Kirk done again?
It's not apples and oranges. My point is Smith is no 2 on the list at "the position he plays" and is't the same player he was at 25-28 years of age. That's when that type of money made sense. He's just taking the money and I don't blame him. Any player can be cut. A team won't keep a player around if they don't want him. They will swallow the CAP hit to fix the problem. IMO our team is in the shape it's in because of bad drafting, Our OL is guys that we drafted. Our OL sucks. We have picked how many CBs round 1? Where are they. Bad drafting will kill a team. I know what Ryan did. I know Kirk went from a scrub pick that might be a backup to a good starting QB today. It wasn't handed to him.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Unless they feel Mond will be a starting caliber QB in 2023 I don't see a better option than to extend Kirk another year in an attempt to lessen our cap woes atm. If Mond isn't the answer then what does the 2023 QB class look like and how will we acquire our guy? Kirk is probably the best option they will have for at least the next two years.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:17 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:23 pm

Talk about an apples to oranges comparison. A guy making almost a quarter less than Cousins who could be cut at any time with little cap repercussions if his play starts to falter versus a guy who the Vikings are stuck paying 21% of the salary cap too.

Yea, what is your point? Another team being stuck with an overpaid QB doesn't make our situation better. Not to mention Ryan is a former MVP who took his team to the SB. What has Kirk done again?
It's not apples and oranges. My point is Smith is no 2 on the list at "the position he plays" and is't the same player he was at 25-28 years of age. That's when that type of money made sense. He's just taking the money and I don't blame him. Any player can be cut. A team won't keep a player around if they don't want him. They will swallow the CAP hit to fix the problem.
You are comparing a player who can be cut after June 1st to save 12 million, costing us 1.9 million in dead cap this season to one that if we cut would not save us a penny and count 45 million against the cap. Not something a team will just "swallow".

Why do you type cap "CAP" all the time btw? Do you think it is an acronym?
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:26 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:17 pm
It's not apples and oranges. My point is Smith is no 2 on the list at "the position he plays" and is't the same player he was at 25-28 years of age. That's when that type of money made sense. He's just taking the money and I don't blame him. Any player can be cut. A team won't keep a player around if they don't want him. They will swallow the CAP hit to fix the problem.
You are comparing a player who can be cut after June 1st to save 12 million, costing us 1.9 million in dead cap this season to one that if we cut would not save us a penny and count 45 million against the cap. Not something a team will just "swallow".

Why do you type cap "CAP" all the time btw? Do you think it is an acronym?
Bad habit. I've seen it typed like that and just starting doing it. I know what the dollar amounts are. But if Kirk did something that really POed these new people he would be gone. That 45 million is there if Cousins is here or not. As an org we did some bad contracts. Even Cook is paid beyond the position value. Even with these bad contracts I don't see to many young stars that we needed to dump. The good players are here and paid above what there open market value is like Adam and O'Neil and Hunter ect. We have signed FA. I can't think of any that was worth it. That's what most don't see. Most players become free agents for a reason. I've seen FA signed and the team doing the inflated value signing weren't to happy. Teams keep there good young 2nd contract players. Our biggest issue is bad drafting. Our starting OL are all our draft picks. Not the best. On D it's just as bad.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

It is being reported that the Vikings have gotten offers from NO, Miami and TB and Kirk will be traded by the end of the week.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

In other news, PHP furiously working on finding a way to claim he never liked Kirk as the Viking's QB in the first place.

Seriously though, of those teams Miami would be the better trade partner since they have a QB who could be an okay bridge QB with some upside to send back in the trade.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:39 pm It is being reported that the Vikings have gotten offers from NO, Miami and TB and Kirk will be traded by the end of the week.

In other news, PHP furiously working on finding a way to claim he never liked Kirk as the Viking's QB in the first place.

Seriously though, of those teams Miami would be the better trade partner since they have a QB who could be an okay bridge QB with some upside to send back in the trade.
OK, now you've definitely got my interest.

Where are you hearing this?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:43 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:39 pm It is being reported that the Vikings have gotten offers from NO, Miami and TB and Kirk will be traded by the end of the week.

NM, it was a fake twitter account.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:48 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:43 pm

Dang!

Lot of that going around.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:44 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:48 pm
Dang!

NFLReport1? The account with a guys face all cartooned up? Well known joke account, like the Onion of the NFL.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:03 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:44 pm
Dang!

NFLReport1? The account with a guys face all cartooned up? Well known joke account, like the Onion of the NFL.
Actually there are tons of fake news sources on the addictive cesspool that is Twitter. And not all of them are obvious.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mogvet
Practice Squad

Post by Mogvet »

Love all this talk about KC sucking yet not one peep about the way the defense imploded. How many times did the defense just give up and blow leads? How did we go from the most prolific defense to absolute trash? Oh wait that is KC fault too, never mind!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:59 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:03 pm

Actually there are tons of fake news sources on the addictive cesspool that is Twitter. And not all of them are obvious.
Undoubtedly there are, but the only one I've seen reporting that the Vikings have gotten offers from NO, TB, etc. is the well known fake account NFLREPORT1.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Mogvet wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:42 am Love all this talk about KC sucking yet not one peep about the way the defense imploded. How many times did the defense just give up and blow leads? How did we go from the most prolific defense to absolute trash? Oh wait that is KC fault too, never mind!
Food for thought; Mike Zimmer had a 39-25 record with two division titles before Kirk Cousins got to Minnesota. Did that with Bridgewater, Bradford, and Case Keenum. Zimmers record in four seasons with Cousins...33-31 with zero division titles. We have not been a better team with Kirk Cousins as our quarterback. 
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

halfgiz wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:30 am
Mogvet wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:42 am Love all this talk about KC sucking yet not one peep about the way the defense imploded. How many times did the defense just give up and blow leads? How did we go from the most prolific defense to absolute trash? Oh wait that is KC fault too, never mind!
Food for thought; Mike Zimmer had a 39-25 record with two division titles before Kirk Cousins got to Minnesota. Did that with Bridgewater, Bradford, and Case Keenum. Zimmers record in four seasons with Cousins...33-31 with zero division titles. We have not been a better team with Kirk Cousins as our quarterback. 
Keenum won with the No 1 ranked defense and no Aaron Rodgers. Zim shut the Packers out that year. What would Keenum have done with the hunk of junk D Zim has marched out there the last couple of seasons? Keenum won a miracle game in the playoffs at home and then was overwhelmed in the champ game. His pick 6 didn't help. He's sitting on a bench somewhere. Don't you think teams would be after him if he is so good? Bridgewater goes to a new team every year. He'll be available again this year. That was the QB Zim felt was the best he ever had. Why doesn't a team keep him? All those QBs you mentioned won one playoff game and that took a miracle. Kirk won one on the road against a future HOF QB. QBs get the blame but don't put those stiffs who are still playing at the same level as Cousins. Cousins will be a FA next year and do you think he will be riding the bench somewhere? There will be teams after him to be there starter. He will get 40+ million a year. Some act like he'll be another Keenum sitting on a bench somewhere. That won't happen. Our team as a whole lacks the talent level to win it all. Brady could be on this team and were not going to the Super Bowl. He got beat with that Buc team this year in the playoffs. Football is the ultimate team game. Wilson is a Super Bowl winner well Denver should be a shoe in this year.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:47 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:59 pm
Undoubtedly there are, but the only one I've seen reporting that the Vikings have gotten offers from NO, TB, etc. is the well known fake account NFLREPORT1.
I didn’t know that’s where this report came from.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.